MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

45 minute drive not feasible.

2. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I'm going to see Mile 22 this afternoon. Thank MoviePass! Love seeing brand new movies with my membership.

3. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

My local Regal put a sign at the box office saying MoviePass customers should try to buy their tickets before 6 pm if possible.

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

MoviePass worked at the Tivoli theater in Kansas City for the 4:30 PM showing.

It's obvious the management of MoviePass is doing anything they can to try to keep this working, and they deserve credit for that. So they have a choice of either limiting the films or the showtimes or both. If the alternative is shutting down completely, I'm fine with that. Vickie and I both have the yearly pass, and I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it, so anything now is just gravy as far as I'm concerned. (Vickie has gotten 12 folks money's worth.) If they shut down tomorrow, I'll be a little bit disappointed, but it will just be another example of a Pioneer with arrows in their back. Pass-based movie going is a thing now in the US and people are not going to go back to what they had before.

The Tivoli, by the way, is it completely independent theater. Check to see if there is any Landmark Theaters in your area because they do e-ticketing and Vickie has used that very successfully, buying her tickets in the morning for that afternoon or evening show. Chicago's Century Cinema on Broadway is a Landmark Theater.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    mrjinks, snowman872 and mikeyt like this.
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I wish I lived closer to the Landmark theater in LA. I think that since they're one of the few chains that made a deal with MoviePass they're exempt from some of the changes, like you can see any movie there regardless if it's a MoviePass pick or not and all showtimes seem to be available. I may go see Mission Impossible on Sunday (second view).

snowman872 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

I would love it if they would make it a deal with the Alamo Drafthouse. There's one in downtown Kansas City, and I would be there every night. I'd have bring my own pillow though, because they have the most uncomfortable seats of any theater I've ever been in.

7. snowman872

My MoviePass worked fine today at the 4:00 PM set also for Mile 22. I agree they really are sincerely trying to make it work. This is why I continue to subscribe even though the program is obviously not as great as before.

I fully believe when people are 100% switched over to "Plan B" and the 3 movies a month limit takes effect for everyone, the film and showtime availability will open up again. I was thinking about this recently. Although the monthly membership MP members will all be converted over by September 15th, the people who purchased the annual pass will continue to be a problem in this regard.

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe. I never joined MP but I latched onto A-List quickly.

I suspect a lot of A-Listers are former MPers since MP seems to be losing subscribers quickly...

9. Chris DeVoe

As I said, Vickie and I are yearly subscribers. She joined A-List, and I haven't. The fact that we have access to a first run AMC theater with $6 tickets makes it less of a good deal.

snowman872 likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Sure. For me, A-List is great because my closest AMC is $11 or so for normal matinees - it's $6 for shows before noon, though, and like all (I think) AMCs, it's $5 on Tuesdays.

A-List has been liberating, as I no longer feel the need to go to a "cheap showing" - I can see a movie when I feel like it and not feel I'm overpaying.

And I can see premium showings. Over the last week, I've done Dolby Cinema X3 and IMAX 3D X1. That's about $70 of tickets for those 4 movies, all neatly wrapped in my $20 monthly fee.

I also didn't have play "movie roulette" or photograph my ticket or be herded into whatever movie AMC deigned to let me see - you know, all those "camaraderie building" exercises! :laugh:

Stormrider77 likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

You should shop around. The AMC Galewood Crossing 14 is the cheapest first run AMC in Chicago, and the 10:15 Crazy Rich Asians, which just opened, is $6.49 - their highest ticket price! Same screen, projector and sound as the other AMCs, just a lot cheaper.

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

No AMCs at all in our metro area - population roughly 700,000.

13. snowman872

I don't mind meeting fellow MoviePass people in the lobby, but I don't sit next to them. Although the reserved seating theatre today had plenty of open seats, some clown and his wife decides to sit right next to me. Who would do that?! Thank God these were reclining seats and pretty spacious. I intensely dislike sitting directly next to people I don't know in the theatre. Ugh

gojikranz likes this.
  14. snowman872

It is a safe area? I don't know the area, but that may have something to do with it. I always read about a crazy number of shootings lately in Chicago.

15. Chris DeVoe

Weirdly enough, Vickie and I have never felt unsafe in any area of Chicago - and we frequently leave the Galewood to catch the last bus at 12:46 AM. She does it by herself many nights.

The crazy number of shootings in any city happen in small concentrated areas, and almost always between rival criminals (and of course innocent bystanders.) If you actually look at how shootings are distributed, aka a "gun crime heat map" you'll see a that there are a tiny number of areas that you should avoid. If you trim the dangerous parts off, Chicago's statistically no more dangerous than any other city.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Public-Safety/Gun-Crimes-Heat-Map/iinq-m3rg

You know what I see when I look at that map? The "hot" areas are those where people buy drugs and the areas where people go to drink. We don't do either, we're just two old people going to the movies, and nobody bothers us. Also, it's a block from a police station, so I know that I should get a reasonably swift response should anything happen. But it hasn't in all the years we've been visiting the Galewood.

mrjinks and snowman872 like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw Alpha today. Went to a matinee, because lately by 6pm (or earlier) no movies are available on Saturdays.

I'm just trying to get in as many movies as I can before my membership changes to the new plan. Glad I saw this one. It's one I definitely would not have seen otherwise.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything movie pass is allowing that I haven't seen for the next few days at least. Most of the six-movies-a-day they have are not playing in my area.

snowman872 likes this.
  17. snowman872

Looks like Alpha and Slender Man is on tap today (Saturday). Alpha doesn't look bad, especially if you like dogs. Good reviews so far on RT. It is set in the Ice Age.

18. Chris DeVoe

Vickie saw a screening last winter, and enjoyed it. But she had no idea how they were going to be able to market it.

I remember reading a scientist positing that the reason dogs became so friendly to humans was that we ate all the unfriendly ones, becoming the evolutionary force selecting for friendliness.

19. snowman872

I had plans to go yesterday around 4:00 to a matinee of Alpha, but when I checked the available seating on Fandango, it was nearly 100% sold out - just a couple of bad seats were still available. I can't help but think MoviePass is causing this problem forcing members to attend very specific showings. It's very annoying to me because I don't like crowded theatres.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    mmars982 likes this.
  20. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

But a crowded theater creates comradely between Movie Pass holders!

If there's a theater fire they'll be burned alive , sure, --but as community.

jriems, Shawn and Oatsdad like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Sorry, Smokey, but we don't have any comparable AMCs around here, and no Regals are that cheap, either.

Price is irrelevant now anyway due to A-List...

22. Oatsdad

Anyone who thinks we ate all the unfriendly dogs never met my pooch Putty! :D

Oh, I kid because I love - Putty's actually very affectionate with people. She's just nasty to other dogs!

23. Oatsdad

MP really needs to add more pre-movie rituals they force members to go through. They should have pie eating contests and tug of war and sack races - all to build camaraderie!

Soon their ads will be about all the couples who fell in love because they heard each other cursing at theaters after they got locked out of yet another "available" screening! :laugh:

24. Chris DeVoe

It's worth checking - one theater in your town will the the cheapest. For instance, the Cinemark Palace at the Plaza in Kansas City's most expensive shopping area is $4.50 for all films before 6 PM, and $6.50 thereafter. We had no idea the Galewood was going to be so cheap until we checked.

snowman872 likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

A) I did check, and there are no first run screens within 30 miles of me that are below $10 for standard tickets. All AMCs have $5 Tuesday and 1 Regal is $6 on Tuesday, but that's it. "Normal" nighttime screenings are $10+.
    B) Like I said, I don't care anyway. I'm not commonly gonna see more than 3 movies a week, so prices don't matter to me - A-List covers me...