MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Thanks for this description of the movie. It makes me more interested in it. I actually kinda liked Spring Breakers!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I saw it and then Vickie saw it up in Chicago, and she loved it. It's got flaws, but there are enough really great scenes to justify it. New York Times had an "anatomy of a scene" feature with the director narrating how he shot this home invasion entirely from the outside of the house.

How to Create a Terrifying Home Invasion in ‘Assassination Nation’

3. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I hated spring breakers but liked assassination nation a lot.

spring breakers was (to me) much more nihilistic and a bit misogynistic in its girl power ideas, also stylistically one note. wheras assassination nation throws just about everything on the wall and a lot of it sticks. and the home invasion scene definitely sealed it for me a bravado sequence.

a odd thing happened with my movie pass it was supposed to renew today so I was expecting 2 dollars off the discount Tuesday price, but instead it apparently reset earlier so I used one of my 3 movies which I am not too happy about honestly(try to save them for non discount days)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

That's a fair critique. I saw Spring Breakers in the theater once and haven't gone back to see it again, but I definitely want to see Assassination Nation again before it leaves the theater. Maybe Kill Bill is a closer comparison, though it's definitely not in that league.

gojikranz likes this.
  5. snowman872

I tried to see Assassination Nation tonight after dinner but all the late ticket times disappointed by 9:00 PM. No movies were available at any theatre (except a couple at Studio Movie Grill). I also saw on Reddit last night (Tuesday) many people reported their cards were not loading with the funds to purchase tickets after the app confirmed their reservation. This is all very annoying. I am finally getting close to my BS limit with MoviePass. The 3 limit a month limit is a drastic reduction - I don't think we should also be subjected to very limited movies and times each day.

I signed up now for the $9.95 a month 3 movie plan on Sinemia. I ate the $19.95 activation charge as well since I don't trust these companies to pay a year in advance. I did not give them the $9.95 extra extortion charge to activate my virtual card quickly.

It remains to be seen whether or not I stay with MoviePass. I wouldn't mind having 6 movies a month but things at MP better improve quickly.

6. Chris DeVoe

My wife sent me this link about Sinema, and it looks like it has a number of issues that you'll have to consider.

MoviePass is dying. Is it worth switching to its biggest rival?

The first is, while they have their own debit card, it may take a month to get it from them. The default is that they pass you out of their app into one of the other commercial movie purchase apps, and you're responsible for the fees associated with that app. This isn't too bad if you're a member of AMC's Stubs, which waves the fees, but you have to have a similar membership in every movie theater chain you patronize. Otherwise you're paying Fandango or whoever their fee.

snowman872 likes this.
  7. snowman872

I definitely have some reservations about the service, but current MoviePass restrictions are making it way too inconvenient to use.

As I understand it, Sinemia isn't issuing plastic debit cards anymore, just virtual ones. A thread on Reddit said MoviePass sued them over the debit card and won, although I have not verified this. People are saying MoviePass has a patent on the idea - which was smart.

The processing fee per ticket is an serious issue as $1.50 extra per movie adds up. However, it is my understanding if you buy a ticket on Facebook it is free - the fees are waived at least through this year. After that, one solution could be to buy the (mostly lame) Cinemark pass for $9.95 a month - if you have a membership you can buy tickets there without any processing charges. As we mentioned before, you also get one free ticket a month (with roll-over if unused) and 20% off concessions. If it saves $4.50 a month in processing fees - with the concession discount and free movie - it would be worth it for me. But I really didn't want to spend another $10 a month.

With regard to activation, word on the street is Sinemia will activate the card in two weeks if you don't pay the $10 "rush" fee.

8. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

that's a big drawback for me and makes the 30 dollar one a lot less attractive really more like 60 bucks a month if you see a movie a day. how do you purchase a ticket on facebook?

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Man, when even Snowy turns on MP, I know things have gotten bad!

Snowy in August: "I love you, MP, and I'll love you forever!"

Snowy in September: "Shape up, baby, or you're out the door!" :laugh:

10. Chris DeVoe

MoviePass is still working for me though. Apparently, Costco membership has its privileges - I haven't been limited yet.

At the theaters I can get to in Kansas City I can see Fahrenheit 11/9 and The House With A Clock In Its Walls.

If I were home in Chicago, I could see those two plus The Sisters Brothers, Lizzie, Love, Gilda, Colette, Monsters and Men and The Wife. (Having been away from home for two weeks, boy do I need to see the wife. And maybe later me and the wife will go out to see some movies.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  11. snowman872

Exactly, but it's even more than $60 because often the processing charge to buy the ticket is $1.50 = $45.00 so the total cost would be $75. However, realistically, I might see 10 movies a month. Then it would be $30 + $15 = $45. Then there is added cost of extra gasoline and concessions.

When I started this, I thought I was signing up for an extra outlay of $9.95 a month. Now this movie adventure is starting to be a whole different ball of wax.

Facebook has it's own movie ticketing set up like Fandango. On Facebook, just go to "movies". I can't post a link here properly.

12. snowman872

It's very aggravating to accept the 3 movie limitation and be blocked from seeing the films you to see, when you want to see them. And when I see all the movies being blocked in the evening (presumable because ran out of money) or the card not working, that's pretty ridiculous.

Luckily, I have schedule flexibility that permits me to see movies in the afternoon if I want. So, the card may still be of value to me despite the BS. Also, I was thinking - since the photo verification has been scrapped. I don't see how MoviePass can enforce their selection of what film I see.

13. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

that's a really good point I presume the transaction just shows up as movie theater or whatever not what ticket you bought. I have theater jumped a few times but some of the theaters in my area have taken to not posting the movie on the door so without a actual ticket can be tough...

snowman872 likes this.
  14. snowman872

Bingo! You are correct. I do like to play by the rules however, especially since MoviePass may be trying to establish promotional relationships with studios and/or theatre chains. I really don't want to be one of those people who "scam" them.

(I am going to put scam in quotes because they spend the same amount of $ to buy the ticket regardless of which movie a member sees - this really only affects the possible promos I mentioned above)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  15. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Besides Costco members, it appears that people who received a year's subscription as a gift haven't been converted. At least my adult children have not.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Mine was a Costco gift from a client. And I still have to photograph my stubs.

Jeff Edwards likes this.
  17. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I went to the movies with my son yesterday. He hasn't been converted and had to photograph his. I have been converted and didn't have to photograph mine.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

MP just seems desperate at this point. I guess it's good that they've stabilized some - the # of outraged comments have declined since the summer - but I suspect fewer complaints = fewer customers, as a ton of people have bailed...

supermd and mmars982 like this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I have an "unconverted" unlimited plan. At the moment it is virtually useless. For instance, best I could tonight would be to get a ticket for "Hell Fest" and then "accidentally" find my way into a movie I actually want to see.

mrjinks and snowman872 like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

That works at AMC which has the theater auditorium numbers on their kiosk and above each theater auditorium door. Not so much at Cinemark, which has decided to no longer have the name of the film playing within above the doors of any of their auditoriums. The only place that information is listed is on the ticket itself.

On the other hand, the B&B Theaters in Kansas City show me every one of the films at the theater available via MoviePass. And as they do e-ticketing you can buy them right now. My wife does that with Landmark Theaters.

RayS likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So when everyone else saw the writing on the wall, they were crybabies.

But now when it annoys you, it's just aggravating.

Cool.

Stormrider77, Oatsdad and Shawn like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

I'm in the middle. I got my money's worth out of MoviePass about a month after I got on it, and anything after that has been has gravy.

Okay, it was a gift, so technically speaking I got the person who gave it to me's money's worth inside of a month.

Suffice to say, until they charge me, I'll keep using it to see whatever I can. But I can appreciate their executives doing whatever they can to keep some sort of service working.

24. snowman872

I saw a notice from MoviePass somewhere that they will not be allowing "bonus" movies for people who have exceeded their monthly allotment with their partners studios. Looks like the first on will be "Monsters and Men."

"MoviePass Films is a joint venture between MoviePass Inc. corporate parent Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. and Emmett Furla Oasis Films. MoviepassFilms sister company MoviePass, will make MONSTERS AND MEN and BORDER available to subscribers as "Bonus Movies," which will not count toward their monthly in-theater movie allotment."

25. Chris DeVoe

I did get a message this morning about "bonus films," so the next time I try to use it I may or may not be surprised to discover I've been converted to the "three movies a month" plan.