MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Everything is a matter of degree Kwadguy. The MoviePass situation changes week to week. I understand they could not continue to offer unlimited movies for $9.95 without the cooperation of the studios/theatres and/or making more revenue. Given this I am willing to accept limits, ticket verification and not seeing the same movie twice. I understand and accept the TOS can and will change. These are the things 95% of people bitched about.

However, the remaining customers who stick with MoviePass need to have viable movie options. This last week the offerings have been mighty slim, especially for people trying to see shows in the evening.

Yesterday afternoon, I checked what was available and there exactly one choice at a few theatres during the twilight (5pm-6pm) set and a random late show (that might disappear by 10 PM) only for Small Foot. It's nice that a brand new release was available, but the actual options were not very reasonable. And if you didn't want to see Small Foot, you were just out of luck on Friday night I guess. That's gone too far in the other direction of being too restrictive.

Today, there is some new movie about Hell and a couple of theatres have a few showings of Assassination Nation (which I still am trying to see). That's It.

As I stated above, I am willing to accept many limitations, but come on, since we are limited to three we should at least be able to see what we want, when we want. I actually suspect this is all due to people with the yearly pass still being able to see unlimited movies. They are ruining it for the people still trying to stick with MP because they still have to protect the $$$ burn rate.

It's like MoviePass is all or nothing - see 100's of movies or see no movies. There needs to be something more in the middle. I'm sure they are aware of this.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

[EVIL LAUGH]Mwaaah-haaa-haaa-haaa-ha![/EVIL LAUGH]

mrjinks likes this.
  3. snowman872

It suxxxxxx :mudscrying:

4. snowman872

Once again - on a Monday now - practically no movies even available on the MoviePass app. I think a couple are showing Hell at selected times (which will likely disappear soon). This is about the worse it has ever been. Very, very close to quitting because this is not reasonable.

5. Chris DeVoe

I just saw Smallfoot and loved it! Good songs, beautiful animation and a really great story about questioning authority.

Vickie, meanwhile is seeing Assassination Nation for the third time. This is not unusual for her - she saw three films Friday and four films Saturday.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Pope could come out and denounce Jesus and I'd be less surprised than Snowy's criticisms of MP!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

I'm not limited in the quantity of films, but I am limited to the films available. At AMC Ward Parkway 14, I could see could still see Hell Fest or Peppermint - not that I'd want to. But if I could get to the B&B theaters in the burbs, I could see any film they are showing A Simple Favor, Little Women, Night School, Searching, Smallfoot, The House With A Clock In Its Walls, The Predator, White Boy Rick, Unbroken. Four other films that I've already seen are not available.

If you drive, you should really check to see if any theaters in your area have e-ticketing. Vickie has been seeing a number of films at the Landmark chain with e-ticketing, and she buys them via the app while on her way to work in the morning.

snowman872 likes this.
  8. snowman872

Everything is unavailable in my area except for a few showings of Hell Fest (and who knows when they will remove it) and I found one showing of Little Women at 9:45. Oh wait, Assassination Nation did pop up at 8:30 - but last time I tried to see it at the same theatre they removed it after I ate dinner. Little Women and Assassination are about 15 miles from my home by the way - which would cost me at least $3.50 in gas to make a special trip and about 45 minutes of travel time.

The only e-ticket theatre near me is 20 miles away on a busy freeway. Not sure that is worth it unless I am in the area.

Saw this post on Facebook: "Day 6 of having no movies available at all despite my theater having several shows on the approved list."

9. Chris DeVoe

Sure, but again, the e-ticket purchase is a sure thing. You can buy it via the app at 8 AM, and know you can see the film at 8 PM.

Neither Vickie or I drive and get everywhere via public transit, so our idea of a reasonable trip may be rather different than yours.

snowman872 likes this.
  10. snowman872

I really don't want to drive far - that theatre would cost $4.00 in gas plus the $1.50 S&H charge for the e-ticket (I think). Also my time is valuable and it puts wear and tear on the car. I could probably buy a senior ticket at several Cinemark theatres 2-3 miles from here for $6.50 tonight and use my discount cups if I want concessions.

MoviePass is definitely not looking like a great deal for me if I am stuck at the single e-ticket option 20 miles from here.

11. snowman872

Also, I am reading that MoviePass is now offering people who QUIT the service when the 3 movie limitation took effect unlimited movies (1 a day) if they stay on at $9.95? So the loyal customers get screwed and the ones that whined and jumped ship get the original deal? This is outrageous and really the last straw. It's a slap in the face. :realmad:

MoviePass is now forcing former users to opt out of new plan or risk being charged

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    mikeyt likes this.
  12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'll likely be canceling after this month. I just sold my car and getting to the Landmark where more titles are available would negate any savings on tickets, while the theater that's close to me only has the terrible movies available one at a time and at select times.

snowman872 likes this.
  13. It's Book of the Month Club all over again.

snowman872 likes this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I'm still an "unlimited" customer. So what. I haven't used MoviePass in 3-4 weeks because at best there is one poor option per day (often at matinee times). At worst, the "no showings" things pops up first thing in the morning. I certainly got my money's worth in the last 18 months or so, so no regrets when I cut my card in half next month.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's funny how you see this in a completely different light than I do. My focus was not on "the quitters get the better deal," it's on, "the people who are trying to stop using this movie service are now being roped back in without their consent."

What a $hit show.

mrjinks and Shawn like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

I'll be using it today to see Love, Gilda at the Tivoli, the local art house.

17. snowman872

Frankly, I'm skeptical that would happen or is accurate. I think there's a misunderstanding here. Even for MoviePass, that seems like a very big stretch they would try to force former customers to enroll again without consent by sending them a passive e-mail that required positive action to opt out - or they would get billed again. That sounds criminal. MoviePass actually seems very careful to dot their i's and cross their t's when it comes to legal matters. Maybe the whole thing is fake news because none of it makes sense.

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It was an official MoviePass email sent to some customers.

19. snowman872

How do we know that for sure? Could be a hater who lost a lot of money on their stock, or someone at AMC. Even going back to an unlimited plan - and offering it only to the people who abandoned ship - is absurd.

20. snowman872

On the other hand, if you read the letter carefully, it seems to apply only to customers who did not opt in to the new 3 movie limit plan -- but perhaps they did nothing (neither opting in or out). If that is the case, then MoviePass never received anything that affirmatively from the customer that said they wanted to discontinue their membership. So, they are going to resume it exactly like it was before. That at least makes more sense.

Not from the perspective of customers like myself who opted IN and thing this is a raw deal - but from a perspective of not doing anything improper with their billing.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

In the first sentence, they claim that they gave customers the ability, in August, to "opt-in to this [3-month] plan if they wanted to continue as a MoviePass subscriber," which, by definition, means if they did NOT opt-in, they would NOT be a subscriber. By making that conscious choice, these customers did not want to continue using MoviePass. They are now being given a few days to AGAIN opt out or else will be charged going forward. It's one thing to offer this to customers who decided to stop using the service when the new version was rolled out, but it's another to start charging them again unless they hear otherwise. Pretty shady.

TL;DR

MP: Hey, wanna use our new 3-month plan? If you stay silent, you will no longer be a subscriber.

Customer: *silence*

- one month later -

MP: Hey, your silence indicated you no longer wished to be a subscriber. Well, now you are a subscriber again. This time, if you still wish to no longer be a subscriber, you must say "Uncle" or we will be charging you again.

Customer: WTF???

22. snowman872

No, if they are silent, we really don't know what they want. And the letter is addressed to people to have not "taken any action." MoviePass decided on their own to stop the billing, but they probably didn't have to - and now they are going to resume it.

These people apparently are not people who proactively cancelled their subscription.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It was clearly stated that you had to opt-in to the new agreement or you would not be able to resume your previous monthly subscription. Come on, Snowman.

They openly acknowledge in the email that they are not a current subscriber.

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I posted this a few days ago (without quite as much detail), and I agree with you completely. My wife dropped her service, so I am waiting to see if she gets one of these emails. This is bad business practice in so many ways. They are forcing the better plan on people who didn't ask for it, and penalizing those of us that stayed with them. I also don't see how they can charge people without their accepting it - I know their terms said they can change the plan any way they see fit, but I don't think it said even after you cancel it!

snowman872 and supermd like this.
  25. snowman872

Well, I finally got to see Assassination Nation using MoviePass. I'm sorry to say I think this film was garbage. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it 3. I appreciate your comments about it, but it wasn't for me. I can't imagine watching it three times! I could barely made it though one. Wish I would have saw Smallfoot instead.

mikeyt likes this.