MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Ah well, it won't be the last time Vickie and I love a film that other people despise. We thought the home invasion scene filmed entirely from the outside of the house was an amazing setpiece, and made us want to see the director's next film.

gojikranz likes this.
  2. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

MP's new strategy to limit the movies you see: the app no longer works. I just keep getting the message "Something went wrong, please try again."

3. Chris DeVoe

I had to hit it like three times before I got to purchase my ticket the day before yesterday at the Tivoli Theater. But it did eventually work.

I just tried all the usual things I do to get it to come up with no luck. I'll try it later again this afternoon, but it looks like they might not have paid their hosting bills.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  4. Chris DeVoe

It's working now. The films that look to be available right now in Kansas City are A Simple Favor, White Boy Rick, and and Little Women.

If I were home in Chicago I could also see Fahrenheit 11/9, Smallfoot, Blaze, Colette, Lizzie, The Sisters Brothers, The Old Man in the Gun, The Wife, BlackKklansman and Monsters and Men. Some of those I might have to see at the Landmark Century which has e-ticketing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm surprised to see that A Star is Born is listed for tomorrow.

6. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

so I'm getting awfully frustrated with not just the lack of options but also the renewal. I mentioned how my account renewed the day before it did causing me ot blow one of my passes on discount Tuesday.

well my fiancée unlike me does not get out to the movies as often so she was faced the opposite problem of trying to see a movie before her pass renewed today(we had tried to go some other nights but everytime moviepass dropped screenings we were considering well before time).

anyways we sort it out to go to a e ticketing venue near her work so I am just about to drive out but around 5:00 PM her account resets to three films. wtf. so are there servers located in Iceland or something (5PM here is midnight there)!?

whatever the case it seems unreasonable to say you reset one day and do it that much early when most people see movies in the evening. think I am gonna complain about this one but gotta find a time I can sit with her phone for a long time...

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That happened to me last week. My account was set to renew Friday, so I saw my final film Thursday and as soon as I left the theatre went to cancel, only to find that it had renewed already. I should have known something like that would happen - my fault for not realizing they’d do something like that. It won’t happen again!

supermd likes this.
  8. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

well went ahead and made my complaints about my wifes account being renewed a day earlier than they stated.

as expected the total time in the chat with movie pass topped 2 hours (don't worry I was watching tv and doing other stuff just keeping an eye open).

they kept not understanding what my issue was and going back to saying similar boilerplate things and I would have to redirect them back to what we were talking about before(I must have been handed off to new agents who didn't bother to review the earlier chats). I continually asked should we have been able to use her last screening on the last day and finally I think in a bid to just get me to leave they said that the screening refresh date and the billing date were not the same day and no she should not be able to use her screening on the last day.

so I said we would be taking our business elsewhere.

Shawn and mrjinks like this.
  9. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Got this in e-mail today ... "Sinemia Cardless has been activated for your account and your plan starts now." Yay! I am going through serious movie withdraw!

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Judas

jriems, Shawn, IronWaffle and 2 others like this.
  11. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

mine started working the other day as well. so far so good. I have been using facebook like you recommended to avoid fees but I am wondering how they will charge the fees given they give you a credit card number to put on the website so if I left fees on would it say it wasn't enough and make me put in a second payment source? or would sinemia bill me afterwards like moviepass did after three screenings? kinda tempted to just try it normally but whatever while facebook is covering the fees may as well save sinemia and potentially myself.

also had issues using it at a theater that doesn't use fandango but that may have been partly my phone which had a lot of troubles with their website so I should try it on a computer.

snowman872 likes this.
  12. snowman872

I still have my MoviePass and been keeping an eye on their offerings - still pretty slim pickings from what I can see. My three movies is up for the month and the $2 discount isn't making me rush to buy a ticket. They better shape up. They need to open up our choices and times since we are limited now or maybe offer additional movies each month for all this hassle - even if they are only on Tuesday or something to save them $$$.

13. snowman872

Yes, I almost always use the computer for these things because I'm old school. I hope the Facebook promo is extended at the end of the year. Glad to hear it is working for you so far. I'll be trying it out soon.

14. Chris DeVoe

My MoviePass still gets me into a movie every day. Last night I saw Bad Times at The El Royale on their dime at the Alamo Drafthouse. The day before, I saw First Man at the same place.

My choices today are limited at the three theaters I can get to that are still listed in MoviePass - Collette and Goosebumps 2. I might see the first but I'd never see the second on a bet as I'm a recovering ventriloquist.

15. RayS

I went to see "El Royale" the old-fashioned way on Thursday (I paid cash). It popped up on the app yesterday as an option (the only one for me, in fact). Oh well.

IronWaffle likes this.
  16. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Glad to see folks are still sticking with MoviePass. For those interested, the TechStuff podcast (part of the expansive How Stuff Works network) did a fine episode on it you can stream here. Long as I’m at it, I also recommend the long defunct Stuff from the B-Side series.

I was tempted but dropped MoviePass upon receiving their, “golly, we miss your money so we’re turning the service back in unless you tell us otherwise” email. That was a shady bridge too far for me. It’s a shame since now is my favorite time of the movie-going year and that’d have saved me a bundle... in theory. All them thar skinny-jeaned millennial lawn cretins are downloading Marvel movies onto their phones and posting their hot takes to Instayoufacetwit so I can watch Oscar bait and Robert Redford’s swansong in peace... amid senior citizens narrating to each other... or texting beside me on their phone to my left while another demonstrates their sleep apnea on my right. People. Clichés. True story brah... or is it bruh? Dude, I, like, hate slang. Gnarls my gut with a gag worthy spoon.

Anyhow.

Two months in, A-List has worked out pretty well. Irrititating almost everything interesting (TCM, Fathom, the Ghibli retrospective, etc.) is excluded but when I’m willing to trudge an hour or so to sit in the tiniest theaters I can manage some decent films.

I’ve used up my A-List for the week seeing, among other things, First Man. It’s light on historical detail and narrative heft, heavy on admirably restrained family melodrama (I suspect the filmmakers studied Malick’s Tree of Life for those portions) but makes up for it in the visceral flight-related sequences. I even partly forgive it’s made-up character gracenote on the moon. Thankfully I have enough half-remembered books, Air & Space Museum visits, HBO’s From Earth to the Moon and Kaufman’s adaptation of The Right Stuff to fill in the gaping holes. I’m pretty certain those productions were on the filmmakers’ minds when deciding what needn’t be dramatized for the umpteenth time. I’m seeing it again in two hours since that presentation was subpar. This time will be the last day (already) for Dolby Vision/Atmos.

I also saw and recommend the aforementioned Redford movie this week. It’s not great but is a solid, genuine and warm send-off. It’s very much the loving throwback ably conveyed in its trailer. There are scenes that don’t quite scan as vintage but almost across the board it feels of a piece with Redford’s movies of late-70s and early-80s. Lots of production nods (framing, pace, slow push-in zooms, etc.). In it the filmmakers have made a love letter to Redford who (along with Spacek, Waits, Glover and company) in turn have made a love letter to the audience who enjoys their prime work.

Yesterday I caught The Sisters Brothers. I liked the performances and several scenes but it’s a movie that was obviously made from a better book. I don’t drift much in movies (except endless action sequences that make boom go nice). This one I did... a lot. Maybe because the screen was poorly lit. Maybe the sleep apnea guy. Oh, yeah, he was real.

How was Royale? Looking forward to it next week when A-List resets on Friday... with expectations in check. I don’t expect it to hold up beyond engaging performances, some memorable scenes, and glimmering moments channeling Tarantino less successfully than Drew Goddard hoped.

Off-topic p.s. @RayS I’ve been on hiatus but have been collecting thoughts about Cohen’s “In My Secret Life” I’ll post as soon as I have the wherewithal to escape the event horizon of my secret life. Love that thread. Got some recent Prine and Dylan thoughts, too... eventually.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    snowman872 and RayS like this.
  17. RayS

I will surely let my MoviePass lapse next month. A-list is only an option for me if I want to drive an hout each way every tine I go to the movies. Your pre- take on El Royale aligns with my post-take, defintely worth the two and a half hours but quite imperfect. Look foreward to reading your various thoughts on music.

18. snowman872

Saw this interesting news release today from John Rampton ... not sure how reliable this rumor is:

"Live Nation In Advanced Talks To Acquire Helios and Matheson Analytics MoviePass Los Angeles, Oct 16, 2018 (Issuewire.com) - Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc., the majority owner of moviegoing service MoviePass, is in advanced talks to be acquired by entertainment giant Live Nation according to people familiar with the matter. The all-cash deal, reportedly for $691 million, is expected to close within days."

Live Nation In Advanced Talks To Acquire Helios and Matheson Analytics - IssueWire

19. snowman872

I cancelled my MoviePass tonight. What they are doing now is intentionally designed to prevent members from utilizing their benefits and they should be past their crisis. For more than a week, they are only offering two movies of limited appeal and every single theatre is shut down by mid-afternoon. Now they even shut down the Movie Studio Grill which was their sole e-ticket outlet in my area.

They like it this way. "People are going to less than one movie a month,” Helios and Matheson CEO Ted Farnsworth said on Tuesday during a chat at The Wrap’s entertainment industry conference, TheGrill. “So technically, subscription alone right now is doing just fine, now it’s tacking on all the other things on top of it.”

MoviePass subscribers aren’t going to the movies, and that’s what MoviePass wants

Enough is enough. MoviePass can go to hell.

20. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, the e-ticketing theaters in Kansas City, the B&B chain, disappeared this morning.

snowman872 likes this.
  21. snowman872

22. Chris DeVoe

Ah well. I got at least ten times the $89.99 my client paid for it. And my wife at least a hundred times.

mrjinks likes this.
  23. snowman872

Yes, it was good while it lasted, but now they are just playing their own customers as fools. That doesn't fly with me.

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I was holding out, but canceled the account I got my wife as a gift (she hardly ever used it). Now I keep getting emails for her account to come back at a discount.

I think it's time to cancel. They're losing all of their most loyal customers.

snowman872 likes this.
  25. snowman872

MoviePass is making it nearly impossible to use. It's so restrictive now, you have to see the first showing around noon (which I rarely ever do) or make a special trip to the theatre and buy the tickets in advance. That takes time and money. I don't want to make two trips to the theatre, I don't like wasting money and time is precious.

I don't mind, and even enjoy matinees - but at the 2 PM set or 4 PM set. The noon hour doesn't really fit into my lifestyle.

mmars982 likes this.