MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If you have Sinemia and AMC's A-List, can you avoid all of the fees?

2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

no AMCs near me so I can't really answer this but when they generate your credit card number for use online they make you say you agree to pay the fee and I think rather than actually look at your receipt they just charge you a fee so probably would not help. I sent a complaint email so we will see but they never got back to my last email so fearing they may have even worse customer service than moviepass did.

3. Chris DeVoe

I just checked and everything is available to me to at two eticketing venues, the Davis and the Landmark Century. Four films at the AMC River East 21 - Can You Ever Forgive Me, Indivisible, Colette and What They Had.

4. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

they got back to me with a blurb saying the charge 1.80 regardless of service because people charge fees and that they are totally cardless now, I responded saying they didn't charge me a fee with my receipt and demanded a refund so we will see how far this goes. but for fun I did some rudimentary math as to how much each ticket cost with a 1.8 fee added on to the 30 dollar a month charge to see how many movies I need to see to be saving money:
    1 $31.80
    2 $16.80
    3 $11.80
    4 $9.30
    5 $7.80
    6 $6.80
    7 $6.09
    8 $5.55
    9 $5.13
    10 $4.80
    11 $4.53
    12 $4.30
    13 $4.11
    14 $3.94
    15 $3.80
    16 $3.68
    17 $3.56
    18 $3.47
    19 $3.38
    20 $3.30
    21 $3.23
    22 $3.16
    23 $3.10
    24 $3.05
    25 $3.00
    26 $2.95
    27 $2.91
    28 $2.87
    29 $2.83
    30 $2.80
    31 $2.77

I'd say I gotta get into that 10 movie area to really make it worth my while. as a comparison the 10 dollars for 3 movies plan with the 1.8 fee you are paying 5.13 each if you use all three screenings in a month.

5. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

My account will be closed in about a week so I checked into some other movie today and bought a ticket for Halloween after work. I guess I just won't send them a pic of the stub...

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Got an email from AMC today that states A-List will be a permanent fixture:

"A‑List has become a permanent feature of AMC, with all the benefits you have come to enjoy remaining fully intact without any change. You will still be able to reserve in advance, ticket online at no charge, and see up to 3 movies per week at any of our theatres across the United States in any of our formats including IMAX, Dolby Cinema, PRIME at AMC, BigD and RealD 3D."

Slight change in price in near future, though:

"Beginning January 9 of 2019, in 10 states (Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington) and the District of Columbia, the monthly price for new members (and for renewing members 12 months after they signed up initially) will rise only modestly to $21.95 plus tax; while in 5 states (California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York), it will go up to $23.95 plus tax."

You keep your original price for your initial year, so current members are locked in at $19.95 until their first year expires.

I'll go from $19.95 to $21.95 next June. Not exactly a concerning leap in price.

Hmm... didn't someone here claim that A-List would bankrupt AMC and they'd abandon the program as soon as MP died? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

7. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I managed to use MoviePass Saturday, so it is still functional.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Barely. Yes, my reference to MP as being "dead" exaggerates matters, but it's clearly a shell of what it used to be.

Point being: MP is on fumes, and someone here - ahem - claimed that as soon as MP was knocked down, AMC would cancel A-List.

Which they didn't do. Instead, they now have stated it's permanent...

9. Chris DeVoe

But the perception that A-List is nothing other than a shot at MoviePass was so strong that they had to. Instead, like I've been saying since long before MoviePass, all-you-can-eat cinema passes were inevitable. I believe I also said that it would cost around $25 a month. AMC is going to increase the price and the number of films until they reach parity with the pass programs in the UK and Europe.

10. Chris DeVoe

MoviePass just sent me a replacement card, explaining that they'd moved to a new company as a credit card processor.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm less than enthused with Sinemia so far. When I signed up (early Sep) there was no announcement they had gone "cardless" - I was led to believe I'd receive a card in 1-2 months. I was completely unaware I'd have to pay a "processing fee" for each "cardless" transaction...

However, I have yet to pay a fee. For the first three movies I went to, I simply entered choice #3 on their app (that I was buying a ticket from a site that didn't charge a fee). Of course Regal Cinemas DID charge a fee, but they didn't charge it to me - Sinemia covered the price of the fee when I purchased my ticket (that was my first two movies). For movie #3, I used Facebook>Atom tickets and they truly didn't charge a fee. There hasn't been anything I've wanted to see since, but I'm curious to see how movie #4 will work...

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

My membership ends in 3 days & I have one movie left. I have yet to see any movies available in any theaters near me in over a week. Guess I'm losing the last one. Oh well, I still ended up with more than I paid for.

13. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

while my sinemia experiment took a rather dramatic turn. as mentioned they warned me on the app after I hadn't checked in a few times and so I had been checking in the last few times I went. but I got an email saying I had improperly used the service by not checking in and my account would be deactivated. I responded apologizing and explaining my misunderstanding and they responded with a form email about checking in. account is still deactivated I have emailed again asking to be reinstated but if not to get a refund for the amount on my yearly account unused if my account is really to be deactivated for good.

so needless to say I am fairly peeved at them for going from 1 to 100 on the checking in thing. be sure to do it if you haven't yet!

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Cracked my MP card in half and deleted the app from my phone, despite having a few weeks left. It's just a waste of time to even look at even more.

I'm going to lay low on Sinemania for the time being. Maybe I'll give it a go in the summer.

IronWaffle likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I have been looking at Sinemia, which might be a good fit for her, though it is a big chunk of change. Checking in is not an issue for her, as she's used to it with MoviePass.

They are offering discounted plans for people who see stuff on weekdays, Monday through Thursday. Again, this is fine with her, as she sees films every night, and she can use her AMC A-List for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

7 Days a week Non-3D/IMAX:
    • 1 ticket a month - $4.99 a month
    • 3 tickets a month - $9.99 a month
    • 30 tickets a month - $29.99 a month
    7 Days a week INCLUDING 3D/IMAX:
    • 2 tickets a month - $12.99 a month
    • 3 tickets a month - $12.99 a month
    4 Days a week (Mon-Thurs) Non-3D/IMAX:
    • 1 ticket a month - $3.99 a month
    • 3 tickets a month - $8.99 a month
    • 30 tickets a month - $23.99 a month
    4 Days a week (Mon-Thurs) INCLUDING 3D/IMAX:
    • 2 tickets a month - $9.99 a month
    • 3 tickets a month - $14.99 a month
    All of these prices are "Fall Season Promos" and are if you pay in advance for a year. If you want to pause the service or can't pay the entire amount at once, you pave to pay an "Initiation Fee".

Both 4 and 7 day plays have the same fee structure - $19.99 for the 1, 2 and 3 film per month option and $29.99 for the 30 film option.

The 30 film option is kind of BS for the 4 week day option, as there are only 20 week days in most months, although I presume you can see more than one film a night.

16. Chris DeVoe

Not getting any showtimes at all in my MoviePass App. Is anyone else?

17. RayS

MovieWhat?

Never heard of it.

IronWaffle and Oatsdad like this.
  18. RayS

[​IMG]

IronWaffle likes this.
  19. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I would seriously recommend against sinemia at this point they just keep sending me to fine print saying they can revoke memberships at anytime with no refund. I paid 360 dollars got less than a months worth of use before they have attempted to screw me. I consider that criminal whether or not there is some fine print.

20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I see Suspiria in one theater. Nothing else.

21. Chris DeVoe

In theory, I should still be able to see movies though. If there were any listed.

22. mrjinks

Take it up with your credit card company, or file a BBB claim. Companies don’t like bad ratings on the BBB...

gojikranz likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

The movies finally showed up, and yeah - only Suspira and Invincible are available.

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Did you all get this email?

[​IMG]

Seriously, MoviePass?

25. mrjinks

I’m curious - what did it say?