Movies Like Ten Little Indians / Clue

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nbakid2000, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend me some good movies like these, where people start dying one by one in an old English-style estate and everyone has to figure out who did it?

So far I have:

Ten Little Indians
    Clue
    Murder by Death
    The Private Eyes
    Devil
    House on Haunted Hill

Anything along these lines is great. Thanks.

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Forum Resident

One of my favorite guilty-pleasure movies:

[​IMG]

3. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

There was an episode of Get Smart on yesterday with Harry Hoo which had the exact same plot. :)

4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a great Boris Karloff "locked room" mystery B-picture, where he plays a mad scientist who kills off all the jurors who convicted him of murder, one at a time. Fascinating little film: The Man They Could Not Hang. One of my favorites of his.

[​IMG]

6. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

House of Long Shadows

7. BradF

BradF Active Member

8. cartoonist

cartoonist Member

Sherlock Holmes "The House of Fear":

"Seven rich men retire to a Scottish castle and promptly begin to die in violent fashion. Each death is preceded by the delivery of orange pips to the next target. As all the likely victims are heavily insured, Sherlock Holmes is asked by the insurance companies to investigate."

"The Abominable Dr. Phibes" with Vincent Price is a tongue in cheek revenge film centering more on the creative methods he develops for his victims' murders more than it is about being a whodunit, though.

9. cartoonist

cartoonist Member

There was also the earlier film version of "Ten Little Indians" with the original Agatha Christie title called "And Then There Were None".

Internet Movie Database:

And Then There Were None (1945):
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037515/

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

11. Jack White

Jack White Forum Resident

Margaret Rutherford starred in several 'Miss Marple' mysteries in the early '60s. It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen any of them. According to one's individual taste, they may not have aged well - but even so, a guilty pleasure for me.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0751983/

12. nbakid2000

Thanks, Amazon has it to rent - will get it this weekend, I think. :righton:

And I'm actually like 99% sure I've seen the original The Haunting - I've also seen the remake. Amazon has the original free to rent, so I'll get it this weekend to make sure I've actually seen it.

April Fool's Day is free on Crackle too....and House of Long Shadows is on Amazon for free rental too. Nice!

13. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Great thread! Some of the movies already mentioned are some of my favs.

"I was working on a case!"

EDIT: "Dead of Night" (1945). Not quite in the same vein, but it's about a bunch of people in a cottage who seem to share something in common. Old school but not too bad.

14. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Well-Known Member

The Old Dark House (1932)
    Evil Under The Sun (1982)
    Gosford Park (2001)

I like that movie... amazing cast, great art direction/set design, and the music really works as well.

15. quadjoe

quadjoe Forum Resident

It isn't exactly like you requested, but Murder on the Orient Express is a great whodunnit, with a stellar cast. I highly recommend it.

Interesting factoid about House on Haunted Hill: the exterior used in the film is the Ennis-Brown house in Los Angeles, an iconic Frank Lloyd Wright design. The interiors are sound stage sets, but the same house was used in The Rocketeer.

16. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Sherlock Holmes And The House of Fear 1945 with Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce based on The Five Pips is very enjoyable.

17. nbakid2000

Thanks for the recommendation, just watched it and it was AWESOME! I had never heard of it before.

18. BradF

BradF Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.