Movies that deserve the SE treatment/remastering

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'll start with a blanket request to re-do all Hong Kong films that have been released without their original cuts and Cantonese language tracks. Here's a list of stuff I own that I would probably re-purchase if they did a downtown remaster/SE:

The Apartment
    Blazing Saddles
    Clerks
    Cross of Iron*
    Dawn of the Dead
    Day of the Dead
    Double Indemnity
    Fisher King
    Fistful of Dollars
    For a few Dollars More
    How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
    Lonesome Dove
    Make Mine Music (uncensored)
    The Man Who Knew too Much (British)*
    Melody Time (uncensored)
    Mission Impossible
    Muppet Movie
    Prime Suspect*
    Quiet Man*
    Scream (uncensored)
    Searchers
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Titanic
    Topkapi
    Trainspotting
    True Lies
    Waking Ned Devine
    The Wild Bunch
    The Witches

Some titles that I won't bother with until proper releases are out:

My Neighbor Totoro
    Powerpuff Girls Movie

* - Current North American release(s) stink(s) beyond the telling

Regards,

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Which reminds me, I'd like to see a SE of Godzilla: King Of Monsters with both the original Japanese cut of the film, and the Raymond Burr version in the same package.

3. xios

xios Senior Member

Life With Father- current DVD looks like a 16mm transfer and has audio dropouts

A Matter of Life and Death- currently only available in Europe.

4. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Thanks Ken. I didn't know about the Holy Grail problems.

I have the Anchor Bay edition of "Life of Brian" and thought the transfer is not all that great (I think my ex-girlfriend's VHS looked better). Is Criterion any major improvement over it? I'll probably end up buying it anyway even if it is just for the special features.

Craig

5. Ken_McAlinden

It's not exactly reference quality, but the Criterion is an upgrade in every respect, and the extras (including some deleted scenes) are very entertaining in addition to being informative. Don't hesitate to purchase it if you are a fan of the film and/or the Pythons.

Regards,

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The Criterion Life Of Brian is everything the Anchor Bay version should have been (and in fact, what most more recent DVD's are). I was glad I paid the extra cash for it, but at this point in time, it seems silly to have all this extra stuff not included on the normal version.

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The Quiet Man: I can't believe they've now released this title twice with sub-sub-standard picture. The crazy thing is, there's definitely a market for a well-done, higher priced version--if they don't kill off any hope in the meantime by marketing bungling.

8. Ken_McAlinden

The transfer has brilliant colors compared to previous video releases, but has the most abysmally awful registration problems I have seen on a DVD of a major release. Everything blooms and smears and looks generally blurry. This is no way to treat an Oscar winner for color cinematography. The fact that Artisan has been milking this terrible video transfer since the 40th anniverasry video and laserdisc release in 1992 including two separate DVD releases is infuriating.:mad:

Previous video releases typically were much sharper, but with very dull colors. They were also typically zoomed in to hide print damage to the transfer element around the frame edges. This title has never had the treatment it deserves on video.

I anxiously await the expiration of Artisan's video distribution rights to the Republic catalog.

Regards.

9. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

I really like the Miramax set for Clerks but that's probably only because I had the videotape for such a long time before getting the DVD.

Isn't "The Fisher King" on DVD by Criterion, or I am getting this confused with the laserdisc?

"Titanic" is OK for what it is, a straight transfer with no frills. I don't think the DD soundtrack is all that great and from what I reviews I've read, I'm not the only one that feels that way. **Loser Alert** : I saw this film 9 times in the theatre with an ex-girlfriend and I'll tell you this - the 5.1 surround mix on disc pails to what was heard in the theatres.

My friend has a Canadian pressing of "Trainspotting" that almost exactly matches the Criterion pressing. Of course every time I've gone back to the store he bought it from, they have yet to restock it! :realmad:

I'd like to see a 5.1 "Full Monty" with the original UK soundtrack. I've got to really crank the current soundtrack to hear it.

Craig

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Kevin Smith and Vincent Pereira are readying a tenth anniversary edition of Clerks that will be out either late this year or early next year.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're confused - no Criterion DVD of that title...

12. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Consider me clear headed again! ;)

Craig

13. Ken_McAlinden

I have the Canadian/Alliance version as well. It includes an interview featurette with most if not all of the deleted scenes from the Criterion laserdisc, but, strangely, it includes at least one of the alterations of the film done in North America to receive an R rating (a shot of Kelly MacDonald reaching between her legs is replaced with a pan across a televised soccer crowd). The US Miramax/Buena Vista release has zippo extras, but even though the packaging says that it is R-rated, it includes the unrated cut of the film. I was surprised to notice this since a lot of online DVD review sites neglect to mention this difference.

The Criterion laserdisc also had a nice commentary that hasn't made it to DVD yet.

Regards,

14. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

I thought my friend said it had the commentary? I haven't borrowed it since I have a copy of the LD.

I'm not a huge fan of commentaries, but that was one that held my attention all the way though. I have the UK and it has the transcript on the Irvine Welsh interview in the book.

Off subject, another good Criterion commentary was also on "This Is Spinal Tap," but they rerecorded the commentary in character for the MGM version. I haven't heard that yet.

Craig

15. Ken_McAlinden

The Criterion actually had 2 commentaries and they were both good. One was with the three principals (as themselves) and the other was with Rob Reiner the Producer and the editors.

I had the Criterion Laserdisc and the Criterion DVD. I sold my laserdisc, and one of these days I'll probably pick up the MGM DVD as well since the supplements seem to complement each other and the MGM sports an anamorphic transfer.

Regards,

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The MGM's DEFINITELY worth a purchase, if just for the extras. My review goes into detail about the differences between the packages, so give it a look if you're interested:

http://www.dvdmg.com/thisisspinaltap.shtml

NOTE: my comparisons were between the MGM DVD and the Criterion LD. I never owned the Criterion DVD - didn't see the point since I already have the LD - so I'm not sure if all the stuff from the LD made it to the DVD...

17. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Goodfellas for sure.

The 400 Blows - The Criterion is out of print and goes for insane prices on Ebay, the other version is only so-so. This film deserves better.

Beat the Devil - The Bogart/John Houston collaboration is a rather poor transfer. This needs major studio treatment like Sunset Boulevard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.