Movies that need to be released on DVD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Reader, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tony2v

tony2v Forum Resident

Lone Wolf and Cub series (great samauri action flick)
    I want all the Northern Exposure seasons on DVD!
    Is the Popeye "Sinbad" episode out on DVD? The one with the 3D background. I want that one!

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Hey Rudy. I haven't yet seen the Criterion at a local retailer, but as it turns out, when Universal releases the Jonathan Demme remake "The Truth About Charlie" on April 1st, the DVD will include "Charade" in its entirety in anamorphic widescreen. How often can you buy a DVD and get a far better film as a free supplement? :)

[​IMG]

Regards,

3. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

THE HUNGER, A vampire film released in 1983. David Bowie, Catherine Deneuve, and Susan Sarandon all star in this 'racy' classic. If VHS can do this movie some justice, I wonder what a DVD release could do.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The original B&W Popeye cartoons from the 1930's, unturnerised(colorised).

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

What's Up Tiger Lily, I don't think that's out yet.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

"It is written that he who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth. Don't ask me why egg salad, I got enough aggravation!"

7. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Boy! They must really think that CHARLIE is a stinker!

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I have that on laserdisc, and I agree, a well done DVD is in order. Among the laserdiscs that I have, not yet on DVD are:

King Kong - Criterion
    Star Wars Trilogy
    Guns’n’Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II - Live In Japan
    Who Am I This Time?
    The Conquerer Worm / The Tomb of Ligeia
    Roger Waters - THE WALL - Live in Berlin
    Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii
    Imagine: John Lennon (out of stock?)
    Paul McCartney - Rock Show
    Chaplin - Modern Times (out of stock?)
    The Hunger
    The Complete Beatles
    Pink Floyd - The Delicate Sound of Thunder
    Nirvana Live! Tonight! Sold Out!

Lemme know if any of these actually has come out unbeknownst to me. :)

9. Ken_McAlinden

The video rights on the Chaplin films have expired and reverted back to the Chaplin Estate. They are planning special edition reissues in the near future. The Modern Times DVD was identical in content to the laserdisc, but if you are still looking for it, I do see it in brick and mortar stores from time to time.

The Chaplin DVDs from Image have gotten a little pricey on e-Bay out of fear that the re-issues will be in some way inferior, but from what little I have heard, it sounds like they are planning to do things the right way (such as keeping both the original and "narrated" version of "The Gold Rush" in circulation)

Regards,

10. Ken_McAlinden

By the way: I'm not wearing any pants. ;)

Regards,

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've heard rumors they're in the works...

I saw something recently that made it look VERY unlikely this would happen - the music rights are a bear...

12. Ken_McAlinden

...even better news:

Check out the details on the first wave of Chaplin reissues from Warner Home Video located at the Davis DVD site.

The titles are The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, Limelight, and Modern Times, and they are due out on July 1st. A second wave will be released in the Fall.

Regards,

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

Well, in this case the box office doesn't lie! ;)

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I wouldn't worry about the Chaplin reissues being "inferior", since the estate always makes sure the best possible materials are always used.

15. Ken_McAlinden

The concerns were more along the lines of them preferring the later version of "The Gold Rush" to the silent and such. Those concerns now appear to be unfounded. The Image DVDs were careful transfers of very good elements that were first created for the "Legacy of Laughter" series of Laserdiscs. All indications are that the Warner DVDs will also be excellent, but strange things happen sometimes.

Regards,

16. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

My TV DVD gotta-haves:

* Seasons 2 and 3 of The Outer Limits (original '60s B&W series).

* Pilot episode of Doctor Who: "An Unearthly Child" a.k.a. "100,000 B.C." (1963).

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's so great that we have Season One Of the Outer Limits! Have you heard any rumors on the remaing seasons? They have to complete the series???

18. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Nothing thus far that I've found. I've checked mgmua.com, thedigitalbits.com and DVDPlanet.com.

I'm not worried, though. With all the TV DVDs and season box sets coming out all the time, there's no reason to think we won't see the rest of TOL sooner or later!

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm still waiting for the rest of "Mr. Show" and tons of others. I guess your right -there- is no reason they shouldn't! How about the complete Alfred Hitchcock TV Episode Set!

20. Chaney

Chaney New Member

"Eraserhead"

'Beat' Takeshi Kitano's: "Sonatine"

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Already out on DVD...

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Yes, from www.davidlynch.com for around $40. Has anyone seen this yet? I went ahead and got an Asian disc which I then had to convert to region one so I could view it. The cost was about the same, but the picture may be worse.

23. Chaney

Chaney New Member

Thank you VERY much Colin and Pinknik. I had no idea that "Eraserhead" was now available.

I'm off to place an order.

Heee Heee!

24. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Ultraman

25. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

YES !!

And let's hope it's the ORIGINAL Woody Allen soundtrack.

I have an old VHS of Tiger Lily.

Several years ago I decided to replace it with a fresh (VHS) copy. I was outraged to hear many lines of dialogue overdubbed (or over-overdubbed, in this case) with sanitized/pc replacements.

The only two examples I can remember:

- "Wait! You've got my dildo!" has been overdubbed with "Stop! It's a rental car!"

- "Your coolie has a hernia" replaced with something lame that I can't remember.

And so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.