Movies that need to be released on DVD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Reader, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

<The original B&W Popeye cartoons from the 1930's, unturnerised(colorised).>

Yes and yes. All of them.

My wish list:

Paper Moon

The Grey Fox

I Love You To Death

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Here's a few I'm waiting for...
    Four Friends
    Angels With Dirty Faces
    Each Dawn I Die
    Johnny Come Lately
    The Next Voice You Hear
    Roaring 20's
    Hold That Ghost
    Time Of Their Lives
    Hit The Ice
    Keep 'em Flying
    And others....

3. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

A Seventies guilty pleasure:

"Car Wash"

4. Andrew

Was there actually a third season? I always thought it ended after No. 2. :confused:

5. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Coming 5/6/2003 -- check it out here.

6. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

My apologies. I stand corrected: :(

http://epguides.com/OuterLimits_1963

(been over 10 years since I last saw the series prior to the DVDs)

7. Andrew

re: Car Wash

Thanks for the 411. :thumbsup:

8. Ralpho

Ralpho Senior Member

I got most of my favorite classic movies on laserdisk already and so I generally can't get too excited about new or upcoming releases.

Yeah I know DVD'd are better and I've had to upgrade a few times; because the DVD re-release was far superior!... ("Touch OF Evil", "The Third Man" & "Reservoir Dogs" come to mind)

:D ...But I definitely can't wait for the DVD release of :

The Big Clock (1948)
    Force of Evil (1948)
    In a Lonely Place (1950)
    Kiss of Death (1947)
    Out of The Past (1947)
    Laura (1944)
    Night and the City (1950)
    Pickup on South Street (1953)
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
    Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)

9. Phantom409

Phantom409 New Member

Excellent list, Ralpho!

IN A LONELY PLACE is currently available on DVD. LAURA will be coming out this year from Fox Home Video as part of their excellent studio classics series.

Also, there are two double DVD compilations of PETER GUNN available. The shows are great, but the mastering isn't. There are the occasional motion artifacts - did they try to cram too much on the DVDs?

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Being a cartoon fan, I could go for the complete series of The Critic and at least the first season of the animated version of The Tick (at least up until Micky Dolenz stopped doing the voice of "Arthur.")

11. Andrew

BBC Video needs to get with the program and release more Doctor Who on DVD!

12. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I didn't see this thread before. I got ERASERHEAD a while back. It's 49 bucks altogether.
    How is it? It's still ERASERHEAD, a no-budget 16mm movie that always sent a certain amount of people out of the theatre, sick to their stomachs from the low frequency noise on the soundtrack.
    Of course, I love it.
    It seems to only be available from the website. It comes in a nice package with a glossy booklet.
    You might enjoy this excerpt from the booklet on the making of the DVD.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Restoring ERASERHEAD:

The primary dictum guiding this effort to restore ERASERHEAD for release on DVD was a simple one; obtain the best image and sound quality possible.

The first step was transferring a fine-grain interpositive of the film to high-definition tape, yielding a resolution of 1920 x 1080 at 23.976 frames per second, and a one-to-one correspondence to the original film frames, something you don't get with the standard video rate of 29.97 FPS. And the amount of detail that you can see using this format is simply astonishing.

Next the high-def tape was digitized to hard drives for the restoration and cleaning process. The files were digitized uncompressed to preserve as much quality and detail as possible.

With these files in hand, a rigorous six-month process began, wherein the film was scrutinized, frame by frame, one at a time, until all dirt, scratches, blotches, and other imperfections that weren't a part of the film, but detritus inherent to film technology, were removed. ERASERHEAD is approximately 90 minutes in length. Unfortunately, virtually 99% of the film contained some sort of dirt or imperfection. To put the scope of this task in perspective, if you have ever spent any time retouching a photograph in an image-editing program on your computer, this is a similar process, with one exception: you have 130,000 frames to fix! Some frames took a few minutes, whereas others took days. Again, nothing was removed that shouldn't have been.

After the restoration process, the image files were ready for compression to MPEG-2 for DVD. Generally, this sort of compression is done using digibeta tape, which is a digital tape format, but at approximately 25% the resolution of high-definition tape. And because it is a digital format, anything transferred to it will undergo compression. To avoid this extra compression step, and to squeeze out every last detail possible, the MPEG-2 compression for this DVD was performed using the original high-definition files. The DVD presents ERASERHEAD in it's correct aspect ration of 1:1.85, and is anamorphic, which will yield even higher resolution for those who own wide-screen television sets.

Finally, the audio track of the film was also restored, utilizing the PorTools digital audio workstation, running the waves resoration-X plug-ins. This process removed static clicks on the original magnetic film tracks and reduced the amount of tape hiss, inherent in all analog recordings. The tracks were then processed through an aphex 204 aural exciter to restore clarity and detail to the mix, and some processing was added to extend the low frequencies. The result is a clean, rich audio track that utilizes the extended frequency response of modern playback systems.

Again, adhering to that original dictum, the audio is presented on the DVD as PCM audio, which means it has not been compressed, as most DVDs are, and will deliver maximum fidelity.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Bob,
    Thanks for the info, and, as an aside, I have to say that "PorTools" is among my favorite "typos" I have ever read. :)

Regards,

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Anyone mention...The Odd Couple TV?...I'd love Season Box Sets! Any rumors abound?

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Agreed!

I'd add to that REN & STIMPY and PINKY AND THE BRAIN box sets. Some of that stuff is just priceless! The BATMAN TV series, goes without saying...

Also gratifying to hear about the quality of ERASERHEAD, Bob. I'd forgotten to order a copy; I'll soon rectify that. It's a shame that kind of work on restorations isn't more commonplace. Also interesting to find out the Aphex Aural Exciter is still in use. Not sure what good it does, but if Lynch signed off, it must have done something right.

ED:cool:

16. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

One film I'd like to see Paramount get out on DVD is the 1984 sleeper Racing With The Moon (starring Sean Penn, Elizabeth McGovern and Nicolas Cage). Without a doubt one of the best friendship/coming-of-age stories I'd ever seen on the silver screen! I just hope it happens at some point -- my 16-year-old VHS copy has just about had it.

17. Andrew

Another 70s guilty pleasure: "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry"

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Scorcese's After Hours

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Here's a holiday guilty pleasure I wouldn't mind having on DVD: Opus 'N Bill from "Bloom County" in A Wish For Wings That Work

20. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT

Forgotten 1970 sci-fi film about a computer that eventually takes over the world. It's much better than it sounds. Lead was Eric Braeden, later known for his major role in THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS soap. Directed by Joe Sargent, who did quite a bit of sci-fi TV work, including the original STAR TREK. Released on VHS, I don't think there was ever a laser edition. Shot in Panavision, a DVD edition would be most welcome.

ED :cool:

21. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

"Smiley's People" and "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"--while not "movies" per se, they remain possibly the two finest spy productions ever made. Still unavailable in NTSC format. Don't know what BBC's thinking has been on this one.

22. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Crossing Delancey ... just so my mother-in-law will stop asking me when it will be out on DVD.

For me: I'd like to see a DVD of What's New, Pussycat? ... it's silly stuff, but I kinda like it.

23. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

The BBC has probably been thinking that as most folk in the UK have had their DVD player modified for multi-region playback then that is also the case in the rest of the world and it's nice and easy to release Region 2 DVDs.

&ru

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If they are thinking that, than they are leaving a lot of money on the table. They have a relatively new distribution deal with Warner Brothers Home Video in the US, so maybe we will start to see more R1 product.

Regards,

25. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Actually, when I said that those titles aren't yet available on NTSC, I neglected to mention that they are not even available on NTSC video. Meaning in all these years since they first aired on PBS they have never been available for sale [legitimately] in the U.S. Copies illegally duped from PAL to NTSC have been available on eBay [and elsewhere] for years, though.

So BBC couldn't possibly think that Americans have PAL players, so there must be other reasons for this title never having been available. BTW, I just checked the BBC site and so far there has been no DVD release of these titles. I'm hoping that the new tie-up with Warners will do the trick as far as a DVD release goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.