Movies that use the line "We attack at dawn" (or any variation)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Erik Tracy, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

It's Sunday and just got the TV going for background distraction during the day.

Watching "The Hobbit: Battle of 5 Armies" and the Elf King, Thranduil, issues the classic line after Bard fails to negotiate a deal with Thorin for the treasure under the mountain: "We attack at dawn".

How many other movies use this classic line?

Can be any variation; attack at sunrise, attack at daylight, etc.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've never understood attacking at dawn. A few hours earlier -- i.e. during everyone's deepest sleep cycle -- makes entirely more sense to me. Maybe it doesn't apply to trolls and elves.

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Battle of the Alamo - Wikipedia

At 10 p.m. on March 5, the Mexican artillery ceased their bombardment. As Santa Anna had anticipated, the exhausted Texians soon fell into the first uninterrupted sleep many of them had since the siege began.[94] Just after midnight, more than 2,000 Mexican soldiers began preparing for the final assault.[95] Fewer than 1,800 were divided into four columns, commanded by Cos, Colonel Francisco Duque, Colonel José María Romero and Colonel Juan Morales.[92][93] Veterans were positioned on the outside of the columns to better control the new recruits and conscripts in the middle.[96] As a precaution, 500 Mexican cavalry were positioned around the Alamo to prevent escape of either Texian or Mexican soldiers. Santa Anna remained in camp with the 400 reserves.[93][97] Despite the bitter cold, the soldiers were ordered not to wear overcoats which could impede their movements.[93] Clouds concealed the moon and thus the movements of the soldiers.[98]

At 5:30 a.m. troops silently advanced. Cos and his men approached the northwest corner of the Alamo,[96] while Duque led his men from the northwest towards a repaired breach in the Alamo's north wall.[99] The column commanded by Romero marched towards the east wall, and Morales's column aimed for the low parapet by the chapel.[99]

The three Texian sentinels stationed outside the walls were killed in their sleep,[100][101] allowing Mexican soldiers to approach undetected within musket range of the walls.[100] At this point, the silence was broken by shouts of "¡Viva Santa Anna!" and music from the buglers.[95] The noise woke the Texians.[101] Most of the noncombatants gathered in the church sacristy for safety.[102] Travis rushed to his post yelling, "Come on boys, the Mexicans are upon us and we'll give them hell!"[100] and, as he passed a group of Tejanos, "¡No rendirse, muchachos!" ("Don't surrender, boys").​

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

As for me, I could be slaughtered easily and with a minimum of fuss at dawn. I need quite a bit of time and at least two cups of coffee before I could conceivably mount any kind of defence, even the most enfeebled one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.