Movies that were filmed in or near your hometown?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Cryptical17, Jan 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought a bunch of used DVDs recently and one of them was “The Hot Rock” (1971) starring Robert Redford and George Segal. Great movie! Worth a look. Read on…..

Halfway through the movie, the protagonists are driving their escape car through town. Something struck me funny :eek:. That town looked very familiar. Turns out, that scene was filmed like five minutes away from where I used to live! The scene takes place on Hempstead Turnpike, in East Meadow, New York. (Modells Shopping Center). Boy how that place has changed in over 50 years!!

If you aren’t from Long Island New York, you probably don’t know anything about East Meadow. That’s ok! But you probably understand what I’m talking about…. I was watching a movie with a scene filmed near where I live. Actually there were a couple of other scenes in the “Hot Rock” filmed at local locations. I have to rewatch and see what I can identify.

Are there any movies that were filmed in your neck of the woods? If so feel free to cite some below.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Quite a few films have been filmed in & about the North Shore of Massachusetts including "Hocus Pocus" ( Salem/Marblehead), "Manchester By The Sea" (Manchester By The Sea, duh, also Beverly), "The Perfect Storm" (Gloucester), "Grown Ups" & "Grown Ups 2" (Essex). Don't forget the episodes of Bewitched that were filmed in Salem in 1970.

MikaelaArsenault and Cryptical17 like this.
  3. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I never actually saw "Manchester By The Sea", but I did see a commercial for it in which there's a scene that I recognized was the street in Beverly where one of my friends live. I could see his place.

4. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

The Spook Who Sat by the Door

BrentB likes this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Captain America Winter Soldier
    Christmas Story
    Double Dragon
    Parts of The Avengers and The Fortune Cookie
    A whole bunch.

6. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

Spring Breakers with James Franco and Selena Gomez. I wasn't too crazy about it, but there are a lot of girls in bikini's so there's that.

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Born and raised in Fort Wayne Indiana so that would have to be In The Company of Men.

8. rpirl

rpirl Forum Resident

Movie called 'Strength and Honor' was filmed in the Cork area but I've never managed to see it for some reason.
    Michael Madsen starred in it and after a niece of mine was christened we went for a meal and the cast and crew (including Madsen) were a couple of tables away. 'Kill Bill' later became one of my all-time favourite movies but I hadn't yet seen it when I ate my dinner just a few metres away from one of its stars!

9. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

"Five Easy Pieces", the film I used to consider my favourite when I was younger, had a number of locations in the town I currently live in, including one that is a 10 minute walk away. I only realized this a couple months ago when I watched it again and started thinking "that looks familiar". They just filmed a Netflix series called "Maid" here and before that some episodes of the Twilight Zone reboot.

10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

The scene in Road to Perdition where Tom Hanks goes into the mob accountant’s hotel room and Jude Law follows him in was shot in my town of Geneva Illinois. They closed Main St. off and on for a week or so. Had to take a detour to go to work.

The last season of Fargo had exterior road shots taken in an area a few mikes north of here. I didn’t see any of that though.

11. Soundbath

Soundbath Forum Resident

In the film Back to the Future. The scene where Marty goes back in time in the DeLorean was shot at the Puente Hills Mall located in Rowland Heights California. I grew up 3 miles from there. That was our hang out back in the day. My brother worked at one of the stores there while they were filming.

LouChang and yesstiles like this.
  12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Benny and Joon was filmed in Spokane when I was living there. I saw a car scene in the rain be filmed (it was July and no real rain), and my four year old son played guitar with Johnny Depp when he dropped by at a house party.

I Love You to Death was filmed in Tacoma when I lived there, but I didn’t meet any of the stars.

rpirl likes this.
  13. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

Billion Dollar Brain (Ken Russell, 1967)
    The Kremlin Letter (John Huston, 1970)
    Telefon (Don Siegel, 1977)
    Gorky Park (Michael Apted, 1983)
    White Nights (Taylor Hackford, 1985)
    among others.

Helsinki was the closest Hollywood could get to the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and that's what it served as a stand-in for in most of these. A honourable mention too to Doctor Zhivago (David Lean, 1965), the Siberia sections of which were filmed in the sticks in the eastern part of the country, very near where I was born and lived until age 20.

14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Was that your door? :faint:

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

On The Beach (1959)
    Mad Max (1979)

Steve Litos and Kristofa like this.
  16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Okay, that’s worth a follow. :)

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  17. ed carter

ed carter Forum Resident

The disastrous campaign rally scene in THE CANDIDATE (1972) was filmed at the Eastridge Mall in San Jose, which opened the year before as the largest enclosed mall in the West. Our family shopped there all the time.

yesstiles, Alan G. and Cryptical17 like this.
  18. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Blow Out

19. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Philadelphia

20. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Scene in Eddie and the Cruisers where Tom Beringer’s place gets trashed was filmed at a seedy motel in Blackwood, NJ. Couple miles from my house.

Steve Litos likes this.
  21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The Dig which is about the archaeological discovery at Sutton Hoo was set and filmed near Ipswich.

And although it doesn't fit the criteria, I have always been amused by a scene in Mission Impossible when Tom Cruise makes a phone call at Liverpool Street rail station and I can see all the familiar local train routes on the departures board behind him.

Kristofa and Motorcity_Dave like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Jumanji (1995) - Keene, Swanzey, and Jaffrey Center, New Hampshire.

Cryptical17 likes this.
  23. Cryptical17

:bdance:
    If you can please describe the location (town, city, state, province, country etc.) and the movie scene so the readers can understand the relation to the movie. Thanks :)

24. Cryptical17

Specifics please :)

25. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

The Creature From The Black Lagoon and the Tarzan movies were all filmed at Silver Springs, which is in my hometown of Ocala, FL. Silver Springs is about 10 minutes from the house I grew up in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.