movies with "WTF?" final shots...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm happy for you.:D

2. Michael

google Mars Attacks Cards 1962...tons of pics and info.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Battle: LA" - now there's a crummy film. I love movies like that but I thought it was a snoozer!

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

In a way; "North By Northwest"; in 20 seconds from the literal cliffhanger to the happy-ending-endcredits. "They're going to d...oh, where's my drink?"

johnnyyen, lbangs and Hot Ptah like this.
  5. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Several Hitchcoks ends too suddenly. Vertigo, great as it is, is another. Wouldn't call it a WTF ending but I really wish they'd linger a little longer.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Psycho is different, but the way the psychiatrist learns everything about Norman in one session and then gives us an information dump mars the movie for me.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

Planet of the Apes (the original, with Jerry Goldsmith's modernist electronic score)

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Cabin in the Woods. In retrospect, the whole film was WTF. Very cleverly done.

JimC likes this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks! Really like the art on these cards.

10. Michael

I see no comedy in this set! Yes, I have all the sets plus a half set of the 1962 cards...I bought them in 1962, and loved the set ever since...like I said it scared the S%^t out of me!

11. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I always took that as Neo finally accepted that he was "The One", and realizing that he had no limits anymore.. For a WTF moment with The Matrix, see the 3rd film... Blecchhh!

macdaddysinfo and Dudley Morris like this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Death Proof

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Not the ending, but the gay scene in "Pulp Fiction" with Bruce Willis, where the heck did that come from???

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

se7en

nothing else like it.

Scotian and Oatsdad like this.
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

You never know what to expect in a Tarantino film! ;)

Great movie, but there's nothing particularly WTF-ish about the ending....

lbangs likes this.
  16. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

"Enemy" with Jake Gyllenhaal. Possibly, thee biggest WTF ending of all time. Highly recommended.

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm sure some fans of the movie will disagree, but I always felt this way about the end of Easy Rider.

What I get most from this thread is I need to see Being There.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They must have been expecting a giant solar flare.

davenav and levi like this.
  19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

"Killer Joe" (the version shown in the theatre) for sure....

20. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It's not well remembered today, but Arthur Penn's 1975 detective drama Night Moves had a real WTF final shot. It made sense once you thought about it, but you had to think about it.

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

2002' s Unfaithful with Diane Lane and Richard Gere. They save their marriage through a murder cover-up in a roundabout way, and seem to go on 'happily ever after'. Dreadfully awful. Would have been better with a Stephen King-esque twist at the end, as in both Gere and Lane's characters get their just desserts.

22. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

The way No Country winds down is disorienting, especially if you've been bracing yourself for a showdown between Ed Tom (the sheriff) and Chigurh (the killer). It can be easy to miss the fact that the story is about Ed Tom. (SPOILERS ahead, BTW.)

The ending makes sense if you think about the title, and what leads up to the final scene. When Ed Tom stands in terror outside the motel room where Moss was killed -- even imagining that Chigurh is in the room waiting for him -- he finally accepts that after spending his life fighting it, much of the mayhem and violence in the world can't even be understood, let alone stopped. Then when he tells his uncle (the fellow in the wheelchair) why he's retiring, he's basically told to get over himself -- that it's always been a brutal world and always will be.

As for the final scene, it helps to read the Yeats poem that gives the movie its title ("Sailing to Byzantium") and then think about the dream Ed Tom describes. Maybe this is way off base, but what I got from it is, not only is he ready to retire, he's starting to prepare himself to join his father in death.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yea, in high school it was beyond me. Later, I got it.

24. wask_

wask_ New Member

Barton Fink. I loved it. Can't post the scene tho...you have to watch the movie for it to be a WTF moment.

25. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Why? It's a perfect example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.