Movies you liked better the second time around

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wave, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wave

wave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Somehow movies I remember fondly as a kid seem pretty bad when I watch them now. But there are a few that I watched as an adult that managed to impress me more the second time around:

Annie Hall
    Female Trouble
    What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?

Yours?

2. Shutter Island
    The Box

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

WAY too many to mention!

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I hated many films the first time I saw them because I was in a foul mood. When I don't like a film, I usually give it a second chance. Sometimes I change my mind, sometimes not. After my second viewing of Constantine I disliked it even more. I traded that HD-DVD away.

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:agree: In my case I tend to be slow taking things in. That's to be read in the slowest cowpoke accent you can muster. Generally my favorite movies will also tend to be one which was/is good for replay (to me).

6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Dune, Heat, The Matrix, Shutter Island, and Videodrome to name a few.

7. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Miller's Crossing. The more I watch this film the more comedic it seems. At first watch, I was looking for nothing but pure drama, which just didn't seem to click. Now I know why.

8. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I'll also add...

The Game, The Truman Show

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Saw Lawrence of Arabia on TV multiple times and hated it. Saw it in 1989 in 70mm on the big, curved Cinerama screen in Seattle and thought I had died and gone to movie heaven, and that's only mild hyperbole.

Matt

John Lloyd and chumlie like this.
  10. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I saw "Lawrence Of Arabia" on the big screen in 1990 and was blown away. I refuse to watch any of the big epic films on commercial TV. I watched "Gone With The Wind" when it was shown on TV in the mid 70's and was bored to death. I saw it in my local theater a year or so later and it was like watching a completely different film.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

I saw (was dragged to) this in the theatre, and I simply could not believe that the same guy that made Network and Murder on the Orient Express made THIS pile of dreck. But it was on TV later on, so I taped it, and it got better the second time, for some reason.

12. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

Off the top of my head...

Napoleon Dynamite

Complier likes this.
  13. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Fargo.

agaraffa, Fullbug and Pinknik like this.
  14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Eraserhead.
    HATED it when I first saw it. Made no sense and was just creepy. Then I was told it takes place post-nuclear war or something like that and LOVED it when I went to see it the 2nd time. Made no sense and was exquisitely creepy! Same goes for the soundtrack LP!

EndOfTheRainbow likes this.
  15. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Pom Poko

I like a lot of Japanese animation, and I thought Pom Poko was a likeable film, but with some rather strange moments. It wasn't until after I found out about the mis-translation that the pieces fell into place. When they translated the subtitles, they called them raccoons, but they're not raccoons, they're tanuki. And once you know that, the film makes perfect sense.

16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    :love:

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  17. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Plus 1 along with Alien and The Shining.

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

How The West Was Won also should not be seen on commercial TV.

19. Oatsdad

Ehhh, I hated it just as much - maybe more - the second time!

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Perhaps I should watch it again; the first time I saw it I thought it was boring and went nowhere.

:agree: Don't think I could bear to sit through even 2 minutes of that one again! :laugh:

21. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I agree with Laurence Of Arabia. First time I saw it was on videotape in 1990 on a 19" Sony...fell asleep.

I waited another 18 years before I got to see a 70mm print on the big screen. Greatness!

22. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. First time i saw it I thought it was sloppily made and just dumb. Then I saw it on TV, and liked it more - I think it plays better on the small screen. It's more like an extended sketch comedy/variety show than a proper movie.

Another one is a low-budget early-'70s horror film called The Brotherhood of Satan. First saw it when I was about 13 and thought it was cheap and dumb. Saw it again 20 years later and thought it was a creepily effective li'l film that made the most of its limited budget.

23. Oatsdad

Yeah, I think this one's a grower.

In a similar vein, I didn't much care for "Talladega Nights" the first time but thought it was much funnier the second...

24. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

'Sideways' is the first one to come to my mind. I think maybe I had really high expectations the first time I saw it. My expectations were much lower the second time and I enjoyed it much more.

25. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

"Officer and a Gentleman."

Absolutely hated it, almost to the point of walking out (which I never do), the first time around. For some reason, I caught it again, and actually liked it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.