Movies you liked better the second time around

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wave, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

It's a classic very cool movie

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the 2 DVD set is excellent...I don't know about the BR though...

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  3. MAYBEIMAMAZED

I always liked Blade runner one of my favorites makes me want to watch it again!

4. MAYBEIMAMAZED

I have not seen this all the way through but I want to watch it again. I watched it on netflix a couple of years ago on my lap top one night and feel asleep would rather see it on a bigger screen. I only get streaming on netflix and they do not have it on there. So will have to rent it or get it I guess. I found it very weird and creepy but need to see it again for a real opinion.

5. MAYBEIMAMAZED

Yes it's been a few years since I watched this movie and I liked it. I would like to watch it again it's a classic!

6. MAYBEIMAMAZED

I liked this movie another one I could watch again it's been years.

7. MAYBEIMAMAZED

one of my favorites

8. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Wayne's World
    The Road Warrior

Cheech and Chong's 'Next Movie'.....this one I laugh harder and harder each time I watch it. The scene of Cheech drinking the p*ss Chong passes him after snorting laundry detergent in the van splits my sides !!!!! Oh and the scene where Chong is rev-ing his motorcycle inside the house with the tailpipe vented outside on the neighbors prize roses !!! hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa !!!!!

9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

All the Wes Anderson films. So much detail and dry humor, they really require a second watch. I've probably seen "Royal Tennenbaums" a dozen times, and still pick up something new.

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Gallipoli and The Last Wave - both directed by Peter Weir. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Weir did some of the music for The Last Wave.

The first time I saw The Last Wave (taped from a PBS broadcast) the dark scenes at the end were so dark I couldn't see a thing. Then I saw it last year, and those scenes were still incredibly dark, but I understood it for the first time.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Wes Anderson's 1st feature "Bottle Rocket". It was o.k. the first time, but seemed a bit vague. 2nd time I got on its wavelength, and recognized all the (almost too) subtle humour. Watched it 6 times now and it just gets better and better. Interestingly, the bonus scenes on the dvd are hilarious and should have been included in the original cut - they actually clarify some plot points.

The country club scene when James Caan takes down 'Futureman' is a classic.

12. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Agree with everything that's been said here about Citizen Kane. :thumbsup:

Another film that originally came (for me, anyway) with similar "all-time greatest" baggage was Casablanca. Always thought this movie was overrated until I finally saw it on DVD, and was amazed then at how much I enjoyed it. I suspect this may be partly because the versions shown on television, even cable, have typically been edited in some way that disturbs the flow.

Duck Soup - not my favorite Marx Brothers flick initially, but over time it has proven to be a real grower such that now I prefer it over most of the others.

Not sure whether cartoons count for this thread, but I didn't think much of What's Opera, Doc? (seemed overly long and boring compared to other toons) until years later when I "got" it. Now it is one of my favorites! :righton:

arley likes this.
  13. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Autumn In New York

14. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Another shoutout for Lawrence Of Arabia. In 70mm on the big screen,

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

The Trouble With Harry

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  16. wave

wave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Strange Brew

17. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I think Eraserhead is not an easy film, and is really funny, though a lot fly over peoples head it seems, but I do think the little dream sequence that explains the name of the movie, is the scariest 10 minutes or so in any movie, really gets under your skin.

As far as 2nd views, I think "12 Monkeys" and "The Conversation" are easier to soak in the 2nd time around

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Moulin Rouge"

Gave me a headache the first time. Second time I enjoyed it a lot.

19. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

I watched it for the second time and found it to be ridiculous. I think the first time I saw most of it on cable and wasn't paying attention too much. It actually has the worst special effects of all time in a "classic" movie. Pause it on Blu Ray and you will see carved wooden people on the model boats. The people look like a 12 year old carved the figures in boy scouts. In some shots, there are the wrong number of people on the boat. Once you know this, you can not stop laughing when you watch the movie. It's filmed in a bath tub. Also, when Bogey does the nasty with Hepburn off screen, you see the allegoric sped-up flowers blooming and such. That made me roll my eyes and laugh as well. It really is dated for some of these scenes. I remember the ending being ridiculous as well.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Falling Down. The second time I could see the humour in it.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Mentioned this in its own thread, but "Looper" worked better for me the second time. I think divorcing it from its high praise made it easier for me to view it for what it was...

22. Classic, eh?!

23. Michael

hundreds of my favorites...more that twice...:)

24. Michael

she sure was smokin in that! come of late she's been in some super sexual roles...:)

25. Michael

I think it's one of his better roles...he did a great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.