Movies you liked better the second time around

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wave, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Scorsese's Mean Streets. And it took me more than a half dozen viewings to love it as much as I do today.

2. Monosterio

I hated that movie.

Guess that means I should give it a second chance?:D

One that I liked when I first saw it but grew to love upon subsequent viewings is Atom Egoyan's The Sweet Hereafter. I haven't seen many movies that reward repeated viewing as much as that one.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. Monosterio

Excellent pick and explanation!

4. Phase IV.i loved it as a kid, then read a thread on all of its flaws somewhere and thought-"man why did I like that?" caught a bit on MYST 3000, agreed with criticism based on the tony bit i saw but it made me curious enough to watch it a second time and I loved its audacity even more.

Patton would be another I loved more the second time. I saw it as a kid and each year I've seen it since then has made me appreciate it even more. It's the perfect biopic like Lawrence of Arabia (another movie I saw on Tv the first time and failed to appreciate due to commercials). The Third Man- as a kid I thought it took too long to find Harry Lime and that the confront Tati. Was somewhat anticlimactic. Now it's me of my favs.

Now there have been movies I have liked less the second time around-Looper, King Kong (both remakes), Logan's Run.

I appreciated Eraserhead when I first saw it and agree with you that those are chilling 10 minutes on a par with the best of Cronenberg but it's not a movie im drawn to watch all that often although the person I saw it with hated it. I k d of explained the black humor element mixed with pathos and irony. Maybe. Appreciate it more because Jakc Nance the star was my apartment manager when his fortune had waned a bit.

Either way it's a fasci sting collision of a European art film and American sensibilities.

5. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

I like Wes Anderson a lot, but I always have to give his films a second look before the love begins.

6. Jaws

Add it to the list of movies that need to be seen in the proper environment.

Never saw it in the theater. They'd show the Pan n Scan on TV. Hacked up. Didn't care for it at all or see what the fuss was about.

When it came out on Blu, I watched it on my front projector (about 9-10 feet diagonal at 12 feet viewing distance). Completely different experience.

7. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

There are several that I liked a LOT the first time, but liked even better the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th time around:

The Blues Brothers
    Bowfinger (possibly the funniest movie to me of all time)
    O Brother Where Art Thou? (and almost anything by the Coens)
    The Long Riders
    The 5th Element
    Alien 3

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, "Jaws" is one of those widescreen movies that goes into the crapped when viewed with a modified aspect ratio. I loved it when I saw it theatrically in the late 70s but found it boring on VHS. When I got the letterboxed LD, I remembered how great it was!

Same went for "Die Hard" and "Alien" - they just didn't "work" at 1.33:1.

On the other hand, there were some movies I still enjoyed at 1.33:1, such as "Ghostbusters" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark"...

9. Oatsdad

It's high on my list - and it compensates for your pick of "Blue Brothers"! :hide: :D

10. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

"An Officer and a Gentleman." I, to put it bluntly, thought it sucked the first time I saw it. I was dragged, kicking and screaming, to it again about a year later and I loved it.

11. xdawg

My wife agrees with you. In the early 80's (after we first started dating), she came over to my apartment to watch TV with my roommate & me. My roommate had just bought a VHS recorder/player and had recorded "The Blues Brothers" movie from an HBO broadcast. While my future wife watched in horror, he rewound and replayed the short "Did you get my Cheese Whiz, boy?" segment about 20+ times. I think she was ambivulant about the movie before that, but absolutely hated it afterward. I think my roommate just had a case of the munchies.;)

12. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

Oh yes! The first time I half-watched it was when my drunk friend was watching it while I was sitting at the computer. Eventually he got me to view the whole movie properly, and I don't think I loved it after that, but after another try I was in awe. I think we watched it maybe 20 times after that, as a warm-up to partying, lol. Good times. I will admit to getting sick of it after too many times, though, and I still don't want to see it, I think, haha.

Another one I would like to mention is The Shining. The first time I was expecting a super-scary movie, and was a bit disappointed and a bit bored. But after the second viewing it turned into one of my favourite movies, no doubt. Amazing cinematography, amazing acting, creepy story. :)

13. Monosterio

The nerd character Murphy plays is OK, but the actor -- the character who's a parody of Murphy himself -- is perhaps his funniest movie performance ever. Just side-splittingly hilarious.

14. xdawg

Yes, the parking garage scene just completely cracks me up every time I see it!

15. Monosterio

Absolutely!

Unfortunately, though, I don't think anything or anyone else in the movie matches Murphy. Steve Martin had noticeably lost his comic touch by that point.:(

16. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

That and Egoyan's The Adjuster reward many repeated viewings.

17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Last Emperor, although the fact that the second time I saw it it was the Director's cut had a lot to with it. It made the movie much longer but the extra scenes explained the story more coherently.

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Opening portion of this film, slowing building up story with strong imagery and limited dialogue, had rematch again tonight.

19. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

The Usual Suspects. Even better 3rd or 4th time around.

arley likes this.
  20. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The Matrix. Still not a great movie, but on the 2nd viewing, I got it.

21. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Napoleon Dynamite

22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched Django Unchained for the second time this morn. I liked it a more the second time. I was lukewarm on the bloody ending after the first showing. After the second showing, I figured the crackers got what they deserved..... ;)

23. Oatsdad

"Star Wars: Force Awakens". Liked it the first time, liked it even more the second!

24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Cry-Baby (it took about 3-4 viewings)

25. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Raising Arizona. For some reason when I first saw it I thought it was stupid with all the repeated phrases ("well, okay then"), and then the second time I laughed my azz off and have ever since. I just wish my Blu-ray of it had a commentary track.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.