Movies you liked better the second time around

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wave, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Brazil

rockerreds likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Jonathan Demme's Something Wild

The first time around, I had trouble adjusting to the jarring change of tone once Ray Liotta's character shows up. The second time, I realized that's what makes the movie special -- it truly is something wild.

3. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

2001. I saw when I was in the 10th Grade or so and absolutely hated it. I knew nothing about it and I think I was just expecting a straightforward narration of a space voyage. Obviously, that's not quite what I got. Too many long sequences with no dialogue, too much weirdness in the beginning and end, and then there was that damn monolith. A few weeks later I noticed they had the novel in the school library and I decided to read it. After reading it, the movie now made a little more sense to me and made further viewings much better. As a bonus, I enjoyed the novel so much that it started me on a lifelong habit of reading for pleasure.

4. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"The Shining".
    Several phases:
    1. Saw it when it premiered (having read the book) and walked out baffled and angry because it wasn't like the book.
    2. Avoided it completely.
    3. Saw it again on cable some years back, started to appreciate the mood and some of the key scenes.
    4. Finally decided to get the BR.
    5. Now I think it is brilliant. I may never fully understand everything in it, and that is fine too.

C.

5. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    Was underwhelmed by its predictability and parallels to A New Hope on first view (though the visuals were still impressive, as I saw it projected from one of very few IMAX 70mm prints).
    After knowing what to expect, on Blu-ray I found that it quite well recreated the comfy feeling of watching Star Wars on VHS as a kid (as I did dozens of times) and in the end given that it's a silly childhood fantasy about space wizards that's all it really needed to do.
    I have not had any desire to sit down and watch Rogue One again though. Those characters were far too bland and unmemorable for me to get properly invested. I can at least tell you the names of everyone important in TFA..

Bhob and Ghostworld like this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Definitely Interstellar. I was lost the first time around.

Bhob likes this.
  7. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Actually,Suicide Squad..go figure!!

8. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

The first time I saw The Godfather, it was on TV and I had a really hard time with it. I couldn't keep up with the characters and the commercial breaks drew my viewing out into about four hours, so I was just waiting for it to be over. I saw it again not long after that, and that time it just clicked and has been one of my favorites ever since.

I was a bit caught off guard by Taxi Driver. It was a favorite of a lot of my friends, and based on what I overheard about it, I assumed it was a straightforward vigilante movie that ended with a gritty shootout scene. I did not expect it to be a slowly paced drama, nor did I expect the protagonist to be insane, so I had mixed feelings at first. It became one of those films that just stuck in my head, and I slowly developed a more favorable view of it.

9. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Touch of Evil. The first time it felt like the tension and energy diminished after the first 20 minutes and the investigation got confusing and weird. After a second watch, I began to understand the complicated story, the number of characters and the dark and bizarre atmosphere.

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Rogue One

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Alien 3.

Bhob likes this.
  12. arley

arley Forum Resident

Chaplin's City Lights. The first time I saw it (in my twenties), I found the ambiguous ending to be annoyingly unsatisfying. A later viewing years later, after some life experience, I find it sublime--what Faulkner said about 'the human heart in conflict with itself.'

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Loads.
    I can hate it the first time, relish.
    Admit I was wrong and enjoy it the second time, satisfaction.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My friend just admitted to me that he now thinks "interstellar" is one of the best sci-fi films ever made. When he saw it the first time in the theater he couldn't stop telling me how much he hated it.

15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wonder Woman!

16. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

The Fifth Element and The Hunt For Red October.

17. I'm not sure I totally get the ending, but it certainly creeps me out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.