Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Because it's not as beloved as others are in the series.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Being the only person at a screening doesn't automatically connote that a movie's a bomb. When my dad and I saw the second "Hobbit", we got a "private showing" - probably because it was Christmas Eve! :)

mikeyt likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Wait - you think "Empire" is the least beloved of the "Star Wars" movies? :wtf:

Clearly that's not the case if we include the prequels, but even if we omit those, "Empire" is at worst 2nd of the originals. "Star Wars" may be "more beloved" than "Empire", but "Empire" is consistently viewed as the superior film. It's one of those flicks that always turns up on "sequels better than originals".

Your theory means most people rate "Empire" below "Jedi", and I don't see that at all. "Jedi" consistently gets rated below "Empire".

IMDB voters:

"Star Wars": 8.7
    "Empire": 8.8
    "Jedi": 8.4

None of the "Star Wars" original trilogy movies belong in this thread anyway - even the least liked is still adored by millions...

DLD, Lost In The Flood and OcdMan like this.
  4. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

David Lynch's "Dune".

Ghostworld and Michael like this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Elliott Gould as Philip Marlowe in "The Long Goodbye". It's OK by me.

Suncola, Thwacko and brew ziggins like this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The Razor's Edge (1984): My favorite Bill Murray movie, and while there is some humor in the movie it comes naturally from the characters but the main focus is on the drama. Good performances throughout, and Theresa Russell was a standout.

Popeye: I enjoyed the movie and thought it was an excellent adaption of the comic strip, and I think that is the reason the movie didn't succeed with most people. They went into the movie expecting the cartoon, and they got the comic strip instead. Despite how prominent Popeye is now, he started as a one-shot character in the strip and the movie gave a bit of the focus to the other characters (such as the Oyl Family).

D. O. A. (1988): Excellent remake of the 1950 original. Although it follows the initial basis of the original, this movie goes in its own direction. The movie keeps you engaged, wondering where it is going to go until the end.

iRobot: Although not following the book (which was a selection of short stories), I think the movie was true to Asimov's vision of robotics. Will Smith came across very well in the lead role and I found him believable in it.

Atlantis The Lost Empire: While the movie wasn't perfect (I don't think there was enough story to fill its running time), I still enjoyed the movie. The animation style was a bit unique for Disney and the voice casting worked very well (the actors not overshadowing their characters). I liked that the movie didn't go as you expected.

Some have already mentioned Speed Racer. While it isn't a movie that I love I did still enjoyed it. I think the fundamental flaw in the movie was that it moved too far away from reality. In the Speed Racer anime, the series always stayed close to reality, pushing the bounds a little but never going far outside of it.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I agree. Empire is MORE beloved than any other Star Wars film. :winkgrin:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

'Clifford' with Charles Grodin and Martin Short.

9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I watched this when it first came out when I was 15 and thought it was a good film. I haven't seen it since but I think the critics had it in for Murray who they filed under K for comedy and just did not want to see him outside of that box.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I know, I was just sharing the experience. Though in Almost Famous' case I think it was a big box office dud.

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I am pretty sure no one else I know personally likes Event Horizon. I am not even sure why I like it sometimes.

Ghostworld and Michael like this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

tomunbound likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

It made $32 million in the US, which I don't think was terrible for a movie like that, so I don't view it as a "big dud". But it wasn't a hit, either - and it probably disappointed the studio since Crowe's prior film did so well financially...

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Convicts 4...

15. Michael

16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Box office mojo reports the production budget to be $60 mil (though I recall at the time people saying it was around $70m). I suppose that sort of loss wouldn't qualify as "big," as I don't think there was a big marketing push for it. Honestly, I lament much more Crowe's output since then. Everyone peaks, I guess.

17. Michael

because it's good...I have the 2 DVD set...

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

19. Michael

was that perfectly cast or what?!

DLD, eddiel and Platterpus like this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yes, you are right. I like the movie a lot. Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall were perfect for it. All the actors were good. Kind of hard to watch now since we lost Robin Williams.:sigh: Same with Awakenings.

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

I agree...Robin also did a Christmas movie called Merry Friggin' Christmas...it made me sad seeing him, but I consider it a blessing to still have his work on film forever to enjoy.

Platterpus likes this.
  22. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I have the 1st DVD and the later 2-DVD set, too. :D

23. Oatsdad

Yup. "We Bought a Zoo" was a perfectly pleasant little family movie, but I've not cared for the other Crowe films since 2000. "Elizabethtown" and "Vanilla Sky" were pretty terrible.

Haven't seen "Aloha" - not exactly inspired to do so...

24. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

The Citizen Kane of alcoholic clown movies...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    gitters likes this.
  25. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

No. "Least" is your words. I said it's not as beloved and I wasn't presenting any sort of ranking. Among my Star Wars-loving friends, Empire does not rate very high among them. One statement is not a theory.

Back to the original thread: I always liked DOC HOLLYWOOD with Michael J. Fox. I was surprised that it did not become a television sit-com for it has the perfect premise for TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.