Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool...

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Quantum is actually my favorite of the Daniel Craig Bonds. It might be my favorite Bond film, period :hide: The story is actually interesting and there are some recognizable human emotions in it. (Skyfall sure does look beautiful, but the story is a mess. And aside from the great opening sequence, I didn't get much out of Spectre.)

Strange that you mention Majesty's, though -- I was always under the impression that that was widely considered one of the best, if not the best, of the Bond movies, Lazenby notwithstanding.

I would say that Dune, Alien 3, and Watchmen are all interesting movies with great cinematographic qualities but marred by stilted acting and peculiar story decisions. Watchmen is one that I revisited recently, and usually I get what it's trying to do -- and the first fifteen minutes or so are unbelievably good -- but it's incredibly long and full of strange literalizing touches, starting with having Patrick Wilson declare that the crime-fighting group really was called "The Watchmen"! In the book, it's a metaphor...and the acting, except for Billy Crudup, keeps hitting strange, strident notes.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I still have no clue why anyone would mention one of the most popular movies of all-time in a thread about widely disliked movies. Because your friends don't think it's great? :confused:

The Hud and Stormrider77 like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Oh I gotta watch that now!

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I enjoyed the film. It seemed to capture the mood which was helped by the soundtrack IIRC. I haven't seen it in years though.

My friend saw it and all he could talk about was the scene at the beginning with Johansson on the bed in her underwear. Literally, it was all he talked about it, and I mean literal in the literal sense and not how it tends to be used these days by tend setters.

6. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

I don't know about most psychedelic movie ever made lol, but I did enjoy it a lot! It was one of the first movies I watched on my HDTV, and it blew me away!
    That's the whole point of a "movies you love but no one else does" thread :thumbsup:

7. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

What about "the prestige"? Great movie!

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I like The Prestige. Christpher Nolan directed that one.

9. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Blind Date with Bruce Willis, Kim Bassinger, John Larouquette, and a snooty Phil Hartman who gets his comeuppance at the end. Some throwaway lines that are fall down funny, "Lakers fans?" for one. It's on our movie channels all the time and I'm amazed ever time I hit the info button and see 1.5* (out of 4*) awarded to it.

Solitaire1 and eddiel like this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I saw that at the cinema when it came out. I enjoyed the movie. I should watch it again.

11. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Baja Oklahoma - Based on the hilarious Dan Jenkins' novel of the same name. I thought the announcement of Leslie Anne Warren as the tired, cynical, foul mouthed dive waitress/country music wanna be star, Juanita Hutchins, was a huge casting mistake yet she credibly, if not perfectly, pulled it off. Supported by Julia Roberts in a few scenes in her first real movie role, a screamingly funny Swoozie Kurtz who just can't get enuf of those burgundy headed purple veiners (wonder if that'll get this post tossed?) and an all round solid supporting cast. Yea, Peter Coyote didn't seem to understand his role and his scenes were terribly shot but the movie wasn't about him.

This was an HBO movie, has a dated Lifetime Movie of the week made for tv feel to it, but still works. Sadly, it has never freekin made it to dvd or blu ray and is never rerun.

12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

To this day, I simply DO NOT understand the hate directed towards this film, especially during its release in 1980.

Is it a monumental achievement in cinema? Not really, but it is VERY enjoyable and the sets, costumes and music are very, very good to excellent.

I always wondered if critics could not see past casting man boy Mork as the titular sailor man.

geekzapoppin, brew ziggins and Hutch like this.
  13. True.

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Every so often, I see "Masked & Annonymous" on one of the Encore movie channels....
    I'm not sure I even LIKE it... but, I can't help but watch it,,,, and I'm not even a Dylan fan!

keef00 likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Absolute Beginners

Regginold31 likes this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Awesome film

17. Dennis Metz

Battlefield Earth
    Lost In Space
    The Postman
    Waterworld
    Species
    Species II

18. Dennis Metz

Love Tommy Boy

19. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

The Ladykillers - The Coen Brothers

Hilarious, great unique characters (save for one over-the-top meathead), wonderful tight-knit story, with a great ending...

One of my favorite Coen Brothers movies - and everyone hates it.

Jeff

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

MekkaGodzilla wrote the following in response my comments about the movie "Popeye":

To me, Robin Williams was perfect as Popeye. He added depth to the character and his mutterings were perfectly in keeping with the Fleischer Brothers Popeye cartoons (which featured post-dubbed dialog, allowing for ad-libbed mutterings among the characters). Plus, they focused on an aspect of Popeye that tends to be overlooked: He is not an aggressor character.

This was perfectly illustrated in the scene in Roughhouse's Diner, where a bunch of toughs (including one played by Dennis Franz) basically bullied everyone in The Diner and then insulted Popeye. Through it all, Popeye remained calm and asked the toughs for an apology. It was only when he was pushed to his limit (with a comment about Popeye's father, the look on Popeye's face said so much) that Popeye finally struck back...and dealt with all of the toughs without a single bit of spinach (which was a not major factor in the comic strips).

One issue that might have worked against the movie is a tendency of Robert Altman (the director) to include a large number characters all performing separate scenes in different areas of the screen at the same time (like he did in the operating scenes in the movie "M. A. S. H."). It tended to make the movie a bit confusing (such as in the scene where everyone is following Bluto on a ramshackle ship and many things are going on in the scene at the same time).

21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Abraham Polonsky's Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (1969)

Ivan Passer's Born to Win (1971)

Robert Aldrich's Ulzana's Raid (1972)

Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)

George C. Scott's The Savage Is Loose (1974)

Bob Dylan's Renaldo & Clara (1975/8)

Richard Pearce's Heartland (1979)

Woody Allen's Stardust Memories (1979)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Michael likes this.
  22. John54

John54 Senior Member

I saw Top Secret (1984) with a couple of friends who failed to appreciate its humour like I did.

23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Yeah.
    But I'd rather spend 90 minutes watching Warren Oates than the latest prissy pretty boy.

This hung on the office wall for years. Whenever actors came in to rehearse it was the first thing they'd see:

[​IMG]

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

"The A-Team" and "Battleship"

I come across these 2 movies all the time on cable and I can never change the channel. I must have seen each of these movies at least 5-7 times.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.