Movies You Thought Weren't That Bad, That Everyone Else Hated... Or Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Everyone else seemed to like the action animated movie The Incredibles (2004), but I didn't think it was that great.

I also only like the first Pirates of the Caribbean. Depp became a parody so quickly in the sequels, basically just walking around, holding his hands up and going "Oooh" to everything everyone does.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The $15 number is for theaters in Times Square, I'm sure. We have some theaters in Chicago that are vastly more expensive than others.

Alien Covenant at River East 21 near Navy Pier is $11.99. The "Dine-In" AMC at Block 37 is $15.49. But the AMC Galewood 14 is, I swear $5.99.

Same projection quality, same sound systems, different locations.

All those people who say "movies are too expensive" are not shopping around.

3. Chris DeVoe

I dunno, three whole episodes devoted to the most turgid speechifying ever written?

Dark Mavis likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wow - that $5.99 is stunning! I initially figured it must've been a "$5.99 Tuesday" deal but nope - I looked at prices for the new "Pirates" movie, and the 7PM Friday/opening day screening was still $5.99! :eek:

Even the 8PM 3D showing was only $8.99, and matinees are $3.99 - that's like 1987 all over again! :D

Only unsurprising aspect of this deal: it's at an AMC that apparently is older and not in the greatest shape. I looked at Yelp and it got mixed reviews - people loved the prices but the theaters themselves were less impressive.

There's a Regal near me that does $5 Tuesdays, but they have "standard" $11 or whatever (evening) prices the rest of the time. It's also somewhat run-down - not intolerable but I only go there for $5 Tuesday or if it's the only convenient theater. I have 2 other Regals within 20 minutes of my house, so there's not usually much reason to go to the crappier one...

5. Chris DeVoe

I don't know what they're talking about. It's a standard AMC multiplex, with SONY 4K digital projection and stadium seating. The equipment is well-maintained, the screens are in good shape, the seats are comfortable. I think I've seen a film in every auditorium in the multiplex, and rate it as comparable to the AMC River East 21, except a fraction of the price. It's the Real Estate Rule - location, location, location.

The only thing I can think is that the people who have discovered it are giving it bad reviews trying to keep people away from "their" theater. We are careful in what films we see there - choosing the least popular ones on the weekends, and seeing the blockbusters on weeknights to avoid the amateur moviegoers. There are a lot of families, attracted by a cheap night at the movies, but there is almost never anyone down front where Vickie and I sit.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's not the expense; it's the experience. I want to go see GotG2 and Alien Covenant, but I just can't bring myself to deal with the inevitable talking, phone play, rudeness, seats caked with popcorn/soda spackle, kicking my backrest, unreasonable food/beverage cost, etc.---all for audio that is substandard. Maybe in other areas of the country it's different, but I often leave the theater feeling like they should have paid me to put up with all that. It really gets in the way of enjoying the experience. I once sat next to a couple where the guy was in a phone conversation all through the previews and opening credits. When the movie started I politely asked him to stop talking. His girl told me I was being rude! It's like bizarro world in those theaters. Even when I go with my friend and his friend, they talked through the whole thing. I don't get it.

7. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I enjoyed Batman vs Superman and I also liked The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp.

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Nope, Queens. I haven't been to Times Square on purpose in years, and I'd certainly not see a movie there!

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't know. It was a movie with a bunch of pre-teens in it. I don't really see much that would indicate a franchise starter. Maybe you are projecting your own beefs with the film onto everyone else? Like I said, you are the only person I have ever heard call the film a commercial disappointment.

10. Chris DeVoe

All I can figure is that you see films on weekends at suburban theaters. My wife has seen, as of tonight, 160 films in the theater so far this year. If the theatrical experience was really the horror show you claim, wouldn't she have experienced everything you claim dozens of times every month?

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think most behavior and bloated audio I have a problem with are normal for the average moviegoer. I don't want distractions but other people are more go-with-the-flow and are happy to have the opportunity to be in the crowd.

12. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Except for the opening scenes (Romans battling Teutonic tribesmen) I thought Gladiator was embarrassingly awful.
    I found the dialogue especially painful. Guess I'm not a Russell Crowe fan.
    Obviously my opinion of the film was not unanimously shared.

13. Chris DeVoe

I build home theaters, and nothing can match the theatrical experience. Every time I talk about seeing a film in the theater, I mean every single time, my post is followed by someone who claims that every theater is something out of the 7th circle of Hell. Honestly, it's so contrary to my and my wife's experience that either they are surrounded by the worst theaters in the universe, or they are conflating every bad experience they've ever had or have ever heard anyone ever having, and using that as a justification for not seeing films in the theater.

14. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Agreed. I've never had a single bad experience in a movie theater. I've seen bad movies, sure, but never had a bad experience that had to do with going to the theater.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There are lots of movies I love but that most people have never watched. Don't think those qualify for this thread, though.

As for movies everybody loves that I seriously disliked ;

- Every Spielberg movie without Harrison Ford
    - Every Tarentino movie
    - Casablanca
    - Taxi Driver
    - Amelie
    - Slumdog Millionaire
    - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    - Twelve Monkeys
    - Blazing Saddles
    - ...and the list goes on.

16. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Even Jaws?

I agree with you that Blazing Saddles is overrated.

17. Oatsdad

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, man - just going by the reviews! :D

I do know that it's clear why Regal has $5 Tuesdays at the local Potomac Yards location: because it's closer to being a dump than it should be. Place is less than 20 years old and in a good area - this is the same shopping center where Michelle Obama famously went "undercover" to shop at Target - but Regal just hasn't done a lot to maintain the place.

They ain't doing "bargain days" at the newer/nicer locations!

18. Oatsdad

Yes, it's my own "beefs", because I hate "Goonies" and want to insult it with every last breath!

That's why my review of it says "it still has some good moments, and it provides a reasonably compelling experience. I can’t claim that Goonies will ever reside in my list of favorite films, but I enjoyed much of the time I spent with it." Man, what unabashed hatred!

It's my "beefs" that made a much-hyped movie underperform at the box office.

It's my "beefs" that led a movie with obvious sequel potential to never generate a second chapter.

Yup, all me! :rolleyes:

You win, dude. "Goonies" was clearly a massive hit that lived up - and surpassed - all commercial expectations. It didn't generate a sequel because it was cinematic perfection - all involved knew it couldn't be topped, so they quit while they were ahead. All hail "Goonies"!!! :pineapple:

19. Oatsdad

Really? You've never had to deal with bad exhibition - scratched print, faulty speakers, etc.?

You've never had to deal with obnoxious/distracting patrons?

Never had burned popcorn or flat pop?

I love the theatrical experience - I probably go to 50 movies a year - and wouldn't stop, but I recognize that the experience has its ups and downs and sometimes isn't fun due to external factors...

20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I enjoyed the Riff Traxx version, which may not be the same thing. :)

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You love your strawmen, don't you?

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like all those movies, except for maybe some of the Spielbergs. What popular well liked films have you enjoyed with us?

23. Oatsdad

Aren't you the one who invented claims I have a "beef" with "Goonies"?

24. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Prometheus, I'm sure there were haters out there, only one thing on my behalf, I wish they would have left the space jockey as a funky elephant dude, instead of the baldy baldero dudes. LOL![​IMG] Btw, the tube from his nose isn't his trunk, but a permanent oxygen tube, and the dude is part of the seat, he has no legs, derp!:righton::tiphat:

25. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

No, none of those things. The only thing similar to those things that comes even remotely close is when I went to see the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with live pipe organ accompanyment at the Canton Palace Theater (one of the oldest theaters in the the country and the only one that has it's original pipe organ) and they had technical difficulties with the film about an hour in. But even that was still fun because the organist kept us all amused while they fixed it. Every time I've been to the theater in my 35+ years it's been a flawless experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.