Movies You Thought Weren't That Bad, That Everyone Else Hated... Or Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Cameron Crowe's "Aloha", though a bit of a mess was at least enjoyable, consistently amusing, always entertaining.

svoegtlin likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like "Mystic" - I think it's a good movie. "Million Dollar Baby" is the Eastwood misfire! :help:

3. Oatsdad

I've seen the 2003 "Hulk"... 5 times? 6 times? Each time I've tried to like it, but I can't - I still think it's a snoozefest, and I have yet to find all the depth and "stimulating ideas" in it. "Hulk" seems like a movie that wants to be all intellectual 'n' stuff but it's just boring! :shrug:

4. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like that effect. I think it is very innovative and should be used more often. I just wish superhero movies would go more by their comic books than by completely irrelevant Hollywood ideas. I think that is the main reason some people hate modern superhero movies, despite being well done movies, they are just too loosely based around the comic books.

5. youraveragevinylcollector

Everyone has different ideas. I like to listen and watch stuff with an open mind. No matter how hard I try, there are some movies and TV shows I cannot get into, for example, Supernatural, Twilight, movies/TV shows like that.

6. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

I remember 2 things about Hulk.

1) I thought the actor playing banner was terrible. If I didn't know what emotion he was supposed to be displaying, I couldn't have guessed.

2) The split screen that did nothing more than divide the picture in half.

I think ang lee is a terrible director.

My choice for movie I like but everybody else seems to hate:
    Waterworld.:hide:

Yep, I like it.

7. Oatsdad

Doesn't the fact I've watched a movie I don't much like at least 5 times indicate I have an open mind to it? :confused:

8. Oatsdad

"Waterworld" has some good action scenes - it's everything else about it that's bad! :D

9. youraveragevinylcollector

If only Bill Bixby were still alive, but much younger. But at least Eric Bana was better than Edward Norton in the 2008 The Incredible Hulk...

10. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

I was always a fan of Bill Bixby because of his performance as "David" Banner.

They say he wanted the series to end with Banner finding the cure. I wonder how they would go about showing this. The only way Banner could know for sure is to get beat up without turning green.

11. youraveragevinylcollector

Ironically, I absolutely love the three TV movies that came out from 1988-1990. People would probably look at me if I were crazy.

12. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

I haven't seen those in years. I may have to check them out again.
    You get used to it. I did.

13. Mike .S.

Mike .S. Well-Known Member

Grease 2

Universally hated. I love it. My daughter and I sing it all the time

Smack likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I agree on both points. My wife hated Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (but then she's never read the book) when we watched it, but then again she watches all those Marvel "super hero" movies when they come out, whereas I think I've seen only two or three of 'em...
    :wave:
    And, naturally, back in the day when I still indulged in such things -:angel:- watching Fear And Loathing under the influence was S.O.P.
    Reading the book definitely helps. It also helps that the movie is one of the most faithful (for the most part) book adaptations I've ever seen. Depp, De Toro and Gilliam did Hunter Thompson justice.

Now, The Rum Diary on the other hand...:hurl::hurlleft:

15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I have never even heard of this one, and Cameron Crowe has made some of my favorite films! :hide:

16. It's got a blonde haired, blue eyed actress portraying an "Asian" character. I didn't hear a single thing good about the film. It got buried which may explain why you didn't hear of it. It does have Bill Murray though.

17. Guessin Depp feels the same way about the film right about now...:angel:

18. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Roadhouse. I guess that one is mostly a guilty pleasure and I like the music by Jeff Healy.

The Man With The Golden Gun. It could have done without the JW Pepper appearance but I enjoy the movie, especially Christopher Lee who plays a very different Bond villain from the usual megalomaniac.

MadMelMon likes this.
  19. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

"Rocky V". It's the worst of the series but I like it well enough.

I don't hate "Waterworld".

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I love the hell out of Ang Lee's Hulk -- it's still probably my favorite comic book movie, although Guardians of the Galaxy is a close second.

I feel the way you describe about Batman v. Superman. Not sure why everyone hates that movie. I continue to be bothered by Zack Snyder's sadism and puerility, but I actually thought this was his most interesting movie...

I remember really liking the Bruce Willis version of Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions from about 20 years ago. Not sure if I'd still like it today, but at the time I was a big fan of the book and thought the movie reflected its zany, despairing energy. The reviews were completely vicious and I don't think it's ever been released on DVD.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maggie likes this.
  22. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Evening Star
    Scream 3
    Elephant Juice
    Apt Pupil
    Reality Bites
    Pulsar
    Girl Most Likely
    Men, Women & Children
    The Bling Ring
    My Geisha

23. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

I like Batman Vs Superman as well. I think people were expecting them to battle it out for an hour and a half, and were disappointed it wasn't like that.
    I haven't seen Guardians yet, but it's on my list.

Maggie likes this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm always surprised when I see "Mommie Dearest" on lists of the worst movies ever made. I thought it was pretty good. Apparently, Faye Dunaway has a stipulation for interviews that they can't bring up that movie at all.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Roadhouse is a quintessential male guilty pleasure. I mean, come on--opening shot. Very cool car pulls in the parking lot. Camera closes in on stiletto heels getting out of the car, game winning legs, tight dress. We never see her again. But it's got most men who are watching kinda interested.

Gumboo and Spaghettiows like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.