Movies You Thought Weren't That Bad, That Everyone Else Hated... Or Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

To me The Song Remains The Same is up there with The Godfather, The Searchers, Citizen Kane and Bycicle Thieves.

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I laughed when I heard the first line of the song "Jimmy's Fantasy" by Redd Kross:
    "Climb the mountain with your fingertips...right hand strumming as the left hand grips".
    Obviously the McDonald brothers were also fans of The Song Remains The Same.

Picca likes this.
  3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

For me, Interstellar absolutely sucked.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I thought Batman v. Superman was just fine.

PhilJol likes this.
  5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The first two Sharknado movies are a scream. Just the right mixture of camp comedy and low-budget special effects and ridiculous dialog like "Sharks. Never saw that coming". Also, Al Roker's performance in Sharknado 2 was Oscar-worthy.

6. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Lost in Translation just didn't do it for me.

Or maybe it's because I'm still bitter that Sophia Coppola ruined Godfather 3.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Batman Vs Superman. My second favorite superhero film behing Watchmen. I just watched the Ultimate Cut of Bvs on Vudu and it is even better. The 30 minutes added back in do a lot to explain things. WB really dropped the ball with the theatrical cut.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't blame her - blame her dad!

wayneklein likes this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Andy Garcia ruined The Godfather III.

Spadeygrove and PhilJol like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Francis Coppola ruined "Godfather Part III"...

11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I like Godfather part 111 !

Peace and love✌

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Huh? Sophia Coppola ruined GF3! I had to watched all the rushes from this film while it was in production. She was painful to watch (and listen to). Diane Keaton also did a pretty awful job. Andy was pretty good. It was his pairing with whiny teen Sophia that killed him. After watching an hour of her improv in those rushes, I still can't bear to hear her speak!

Jtycho likes this.
  13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I thought that Godfather III was pretty good, in spite of the awkward presence 0f Sophia Coppola. Of course it does not approach the greatness of Godfather or Godfather II but it wasn't as lousy as people sometimes make it out to be.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I wouldn't exactly go that far, but TSRTS is a very entertaining film all told, flaws included... in fact, I'd rather watch that than Celebration Day any time.

No Bonzo = no Zeppelin.

Picca likes this.
  15. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Flaws?!?!?

16. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Yeah, it's not a perfect film by any stretch but a pretty darn good one, no matter what it's detractors or even the band themselves say. I wish they'd included 'Celebration Day' (which was edited at the time) in the final cut and certainly more of 'Heartbreaker' but I'm guessing they wanted the film to be a certain length to get the maximum number of screenings per day during it's theatrical run.

The accompanying soundtrack album would have been better if they'd made it a triple-vinyl release and included 'Since I've Been Loving You', 'Black Dog', and the aforementioned 'Heartbreaker'... but that's just my own humble opinion.

Still, it's nice we got the entire setlist in the 2007 remixed/remastered/expanded edition.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Picca likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

I gave up after "Godfather Part 107"...

18. Too bad, all those dangling plot points about the Corleones muscling in on the Alpha Centurai rackets were tied up wonderfully in Godfather CIX.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Caddyshack II. Maybe it's Chynna Phillips I like. :)

[​IMG]

20. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Forrest Gump. I still cannot believe so many people actually enjoy this piece of absolute drivel. It is the only movie actually worse than Transformers 2.

May all the people involved in writing and producing Forrest Gump burn forever. I hate this movie with a passion. An intense passion. It is the one thing preventing me from being at peace with the world. HATE.

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Who's the Godfather in those ones? Michael's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson? CGI cameo by Al Pacino's ghost, perchance?:p

22. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Although I found the opening battle scene fantastic the remainder of Gladiator was not of the same quality.

23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

One Trick Pony (starring Paul Simon) -1980-

Love this film (and it's soundtrack)

Picca likes this.
  24. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Pleasantville - Did you know that folks in the 50s didn't know what sex or even love really were? Never mind the Baby Boom. And let's not let the fact that so many social and artistic movements started then stop us from adopting a smug, condescending attitude towards a people and a time.

American Beauty - It's easy to take a smug, condescending attitude towards everyone around you when they are all written as one dimensional caricatures.

The Martian - I came up with more compelling scenarios playing with Major Matt Mason. Damon is OK but the rest of the cast was embarrassingly unconvincing.

I'll stop before I come off smug and condescending.

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I liked THE HAPPENING. Yeah, I said it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.