Movies you thought you'd never see on Blu-ray - but here they are!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

It looks fantastic! One of my all-time favorite films! :love:

Synthfreek likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yuri was kind enough to say that our recent digital restoration of Liquid Sky was "the best the film has ever looked," which is a great compliment -- particularly for a film that's 35 years old.

Pennywise likes this.
  3. One thing I never thought would be released on blu-ray was the 3+hours television cut of "Superman The Movie", which has been a holy grail title for official commercial release for over 35 years...so happy that it's finally happened!!! :D

Robert C, DaveySR and Karnak like this.
  4. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Bravo! Vinegar Syndrome titles normally look fantastic. :tiphat:
    I, too, like the fact that they're keeping them alive, but man, some of those movies are just plain awful, but some of them are awfully awesome!

5. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

The German ultra-horror film “Melancholy of the Angels” has been released (in Germany) on BR; a bit of a surprise given the extremely ‘niche’ and controversial nature of the thing.

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I ordered it a couple of days ago. I used to have a print of this movie back in 1978, in 16mm.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

What If...Kevin Sorbo. Love this movie.

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

LOST HORIZON is a movie that I've had on ancient VHS (taped from TV), LaserDisc - a rare release that had restored lost footage and widescreen aspect ratio, a DVD that came out on one of those manufactured-on-demand efforts, and of all things, an actual Blu-ray with most of the same extras ported over from the DVD.

Bacharach fans love the film, serious film buffs absolutely despise it - that's what makes it a fun film to be a fan of!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I love this film and I am an old classic film buff. If the die hard fans want the original, they can watch it.

This film is not a remake as it is a different telling of the James Hilton novel, in color and as a musical. Fantastic cast EVERYONE.

This is a fun movie and should be enjoyed as such.

10. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

Liquid Sky

11. arley

arley Forum Resident

I'd love to see the original The Wicker Man (1973) in Blu-Ray, but I don't think it would be possible; as I understand it, the negative was thrown out and eventually became buried under a highway in England. And give that several different versions exist, and that the director is dead, it would be hard to figure out what the original cut would be.

DaveySR likes this.
  12. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I didn't know about this. I liked the movie. I'll have to get more information on it. I thought they loved digging stuff up in England.

13. I was going to ask if it included a special introduction by Rudd. :)

14. I wouldn't have suspected there was a viable market for high quality releases of these sorts of films, but there you go. I just hope they're still planning to follow through on the luxe restoration of Last House on Dead End Street that was announced a few years back (an unrestored print of which was included as an Easter egg on the BD of Corruption).

15. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Do you have the Theatrical & Extended Versions Wooden Box DVD? Is it worth getting? What was the source of this 99 minute version? I thought the original length version no longer existed.

16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

This is the best quality, most comprehensive edition of The Wicker Man available:

The Wicker Man Blu-ray

It is unlikely to be topped at this point.

Claus LH and DaveySR like this.
  17. arley

arley Forum Resident

Thanks for the info; I didn't know it had been released. Unfortunately that 3-disc set you link to won't play in the US. I may have to break down and get a multi region player.

I do have that wooden box set, and it's pretty good.

18. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I used to own the wooden box. This is a huge improvement.

The Final Cut is available on BD in the United States, but it’s not as nice as the three-disc U.K. edition:

The Wicker Man Blu-ray

19. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

U.S. Edition is just the "Final Cut" - It's the Hardy directors cut with the cut scenes, same pic quality on the reinserted scenes as the old DVD wood box.

https://www.amazon.com/Wicker-Man-B...085513&sr=1-2&keywords=the+wicker+man+blu+ray

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I have pretty much all the Vin Syn catalog. Do you work on the adult titles as well?

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Mac and Me" needs a Rudd commentary!

Or better yet: Rudd does a commentary for the new "Ant-Man"... but only talks about "Mac" instead!

Dudley Morris and Pinknik like this.
  22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Scream for Help

Now this is cult horror at its cheesy sexy finest! I can't believe this is coming out since it skipped DVD! When I saw this on late night cable needless to say I was shocked and laughing at the same time. The lost polaroid scene is burned on my brain forever.

[​IMG]

23. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Code Red has put out a bunch of Andy Milligan flicks. His films looked so cheap that I'm not sure there are any real benefits. I wouldn't be without them though. :)

24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I was listening to Mission Log, a podcast that does an episode by episode review of every single episode of Star Trek (if it is a two-part story they cover it in one podcast, and for the animated series they did two episodes in each podcast). In each episode they do a detailed analysis of the episode. In the podcast for the episode "Silicon Avatar" they mentioned that the original files (and the computers) used to create the Crystaline Entity in the episode "Datalore" were lost so they had to recreate it from scratch (using footage from its original appearance) for the upgraded version of the episode.

Returning to the topic, the two movies I was surprised to see released on BluRay are:
    • Doctor Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine
    • Doctor Goldfoot And The Girl Bombs
    The previous DVD of ...Bikini Machine was okay, and the only DVD release of ...Girl Bombs was a Region 2 DVD of the Italian version of the movie (the U. S. version was released on a low-cost VHS tape [pan and scan, recorded at EP]).

Kino Lorber released both movies individually on BluRay and included a number of nice bonus features, such as commentary on both movies which provided some very interesting behind-the-scenes information on both movies.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Haven't seen those. I only have seen the horror/sci-fi/genre stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.