Movies You Walked Out On, (Or Wish You Did).....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bluesman Mark, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

For this I mean only the films you paid money to see in the theater & left before they were over.

First one for me was the 1976 version of King Kong. I love the original, & had the great luck to see it on the big screen a few months prior to the remake, when it got a short rerelease. I'd already seen it on TV several times by then. I walked out roughly halfway through, when they were transporting Kong to NY. I just couldn't take anymore of it. At least the theater was in the local mall & it was a Saturday afternoon, so I could go to the bookstores & record shops in it, so it wasn't a total waste!

Compared to the original, it was worse than terrible & an unmitigated disaster in every way possible. The entire cast was wasted, including Jeff Bridges, & I was a fan of his even back then. Even at the age of fifteen I was able to see this was not only not a thousandth as good as the original, but it wasn't a giant ape movie, it was a giant turkey. I did suffer through it on HBO at a friend's house a few years later, & had all my suspicions confirmed. Luckily I was smoking pot by then, so it became incredibly hilarious to watch!

Nest up is Sorceress, a 1982 Mexican/American Roger Corman production, directed by Jack Hill. Now, I happen to be a fan of Roger Corman's & a lot of Jack Hill's work. Spider Baby, Pit Stop, The Big Doll House, The Big Bird Cage, Coffy & Foxy Brown are all films I like a great deal, because of my love of exploitation films, & Jack was an accomplished director of those. Sorceress however wasn't one of them. Perhaps he felt so as well, as he had his name taken off it & used the pseudonym "Brian Stuart" instead. A caveat here, I truly hate the entire sword & sorcery/fantasy genre, with the exception of films Ray Harryhausen was involved with, (& I do love George Romero's Knightriders), so I wasn't going to be predisposed to this anyway. I was roped into seeing it with my first wife & her best friend & her best friend's husband. All three of them liked this genre, but Karen, (my wife at the time), knew I loathed it. There were at least 3-4 more movies that night that were going to be better, & I was practically begging to go see any of them, to no avail.

Well, I was on the nose about that movie. Inane & stupid, poorly dubbed & a ripoff of characters & parts of Star Wars, (despite there being no S/F angle to the plot), Dragonslayer & other films of the genre. I think I made it about twenty minutes or so into the film, & again couldn't take anymore, so I got up & sat in the lobby for the duration of it. They sat through it, & later that night Karen actually apologized to me & said that it really was a terrible movie, not even worthy of being a fun bad movie, & something like that wouldn't happen again.

Most recent was Game Night. Great reviews, so my wife Shana & i were primed for it. well, roughly 20-30 minutes into this loud, annoying. obnoxious, & completely unfunny "comedy", we'd had enough & decided to leave. By the second scene with Jesse Plemons as the main couple's weird & offputting next door neighbor, I was fed up with the film. Like the first scene with him, it was interminable, painfully obvious & not funny in the least, with it's supposed humorous scenes being completely telegraphed, & badly so.

Once Jeffrey Wright's character was knocked out, we got up & left, as we had simply had enough of the film & it was obvious that the screenplay & directors were just going to keep piling on the layers of loud ignorance & confusion in an inept attempt to make something out of this dreck.

The acting was wretched at best, (& I've enjoyed both Jason Bateman & Kyle Chandler in many things before), the attempts at humor or excitement were forced, telegraphed & completely off the mark, & the entire thing felt like random story ideas had been tossed into a blender, pureed , & poured out.

As a final note, in the time we did watch what we saw of it, neither my wife nor I found one single thing to laugh at. Absolutely nothing. Nada, zilch, zero.

Only three in fifty plus years of cinema going, but that's still three too many!

Movies I wished I'd walked out on? Mad Max Fury Road, & if you want to see what I thought of it, go here:

I hated John Wick 3 so does that mean I'm out of luck for action movies now?

Mr. Woodcock. Terribly unfunny as well as simply terrible in every possible way, with the three leads completely wasted & totally unlikable, as well as the entire premise being a red herring & the potential for a truly twisted movie along the lines of Bad Santa tossed aside for something supposed to be all "warm & fuzzy" at the end. Utter dreck. There's simply no excuse for the existence of this wretched pile of crap. I think I laughed once in it. Shana may have laughed twice. Gah!!!!!

Over The Hedge. Coerced in going to it by Shana & her parents, this was a computer animated mess of a movie. Good opening with Bruce Willis & Nick Nolte voicing their respective characters, & the climax with the hyperactive squirrel being given the energy drink gave me a few chuckles, but everything in between was rancidly boring & inane.

And a movie I literally feel asleep watching in the theater; Bobby Deerfield, a drama from 1977. It's set in the world of Formula One racing, & I was an auto racking fanatic for decades, & not only attended races, (NASCAR in my case), but caught every racing movie that came along. It starred Al Pacino, whom I like. It was directed by Sydney Pollack, who made a lot of films I love or like. And it was a tedious, interminable, crashing bore of a movie. I know I dozed off for at least ten minutes or more, & woke up completely confused as to what was going on it in. Oh wait, the plot was so convoluted & everything else in it so wretched in it that I was completely confused before I fell asleep! :laugh:

Michael and Siegmund like this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The original - The Lion King.

My youngest son started crying at the top of his lungs - so we split.

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Is the remake of Lion King any good?

I wanted to walk out of The Village. Nothing good about it whatsoever. As bad as the story, acting and direction were, casting an Oscar winner as the village idiot might have been even worse.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Menace 2 Society". My friend (and lead singer of my high school metal band) forced me to go with him on the fourth of July. This was right after he nearly got us killed by driving like an ******* and losing control of the car along some curvy country road. If someone was coming from the other direction we would have been killed, I have no doubt. I rejected his friendship request on Facebook. As Johnny Cash would say, he's no earthly good. As for the film... not my bag. Too violent and ugly. I might as well watch the 6 o'clock news.

I wanted to walk out of the "Amityville Horror" remake so very, very badly. But my woman wouldn't have appreciated that. Headache inducing garbage.

5. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I walked out on two - Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Grease- the latter was on a date. Believe it or not, I continued to see the girl I went to the movie with for several months afterward.

Drifter and Bluesman Mark like this.
  6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Nice Thread, OP!:righton: (Not walking out on:laugh::winkgrin:)

Walked Out: Last Action Hero - Arnold Swarzenegger :thumbsdow
    (And, I like summer action/blockbusters...good ones.:winkgrin:)

Thwacko and Bluesman Mark like this.
  7. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I walked out of Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I have never walked out due to
    1. Ticket prices
    2. Principle-if the movie sucks, I’m still going to finish it; it will not get to me.
    That said, I felt tempted with a couple;
    • Maleficent
    • Jack and Jill (got roped into this one)
    • Suicide Squad

Scowl, danner and Bluesman Mark like this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Wish I walked out of The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover, but I didn't drive and the driver insisted on staying. At least 20 people did successfully leave.

10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

There is only one I can remember. My mom took us out of The Addams Family Values in 1993. It was much darker than the first one and I was only about 5, and an easily frightened child.

LilacTeardrop and Bluesman Mark like this.
  11. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

A Star is Born (Streisand version) and Caligula.

Each film was horrifying in its own way.

arley and Bluesman Mark like this.
  12. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I and two others walked out of the Color of Money. However it was my college senior week and we may not have been in the right frame of mind.

I have since seen the Hustler so will give it another chance soon.

13. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Believe it or not, my mom and I walked out on Forrest Gump (the film broke and we got tired of waiting for the technical issues to be resolved). We also walked out on The Trial of Billy Jack because it was long and boring.

14. Never walked out on one, but I was severely tempted by the godawful anti-comedy Highway of Heartache. I stuck around to see just how bad it could get, and it got plenty.

The anthology movie Four Rooms with Tim Roth in a connecting role as a bellboy was another one. What a waste of time and talent that was.

15. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I've never walked out of a movie. I'll force myself to finish even the worst movie...if I'm lucky maybe I can take a nap.

16. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Really surprised @ such a scathing review of Game Night.o_O It's a comedy/mystery/suspense/action film & there were many twists & turns throughout the movie. It's Peter Bogdonovish style madcap-screwball-comedy w/darker undertones, combined w/other elements mentioned. I believe in watching previews & for at home viewing, youtube trailers first; not basing my own feelings on reviews, but just so others here who may not have seen it have a well-rounded idea, on Amazon Reviews, it's received 62% 5*, 17% 4*, 9% 3*, 5% 2* & 7% 1*. Rotten tomatoes = 85%. Everyone's entitled to own opinion, but general consensus is, it's not the bomb it's reviewed as, in first post.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Old Mac and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. danner

danner Forum Resident

This is probably an odd answer considering all the garbage movies I’ve managed to sit through to the bitter end, but the only movie I remember walking out of is Terrence Malick’s The Thin Red Line. I went with my dad when I was 15 or so, and somewhere around the 90-minute mark, my dad turned to me and said, “Do you want to leave?” At that age, the movie felt like such a slog, and my dad apparently wasn’t into it either.

I don’t doubt that I’d have a better appreciation for it now as an adult (I still haven’t revisited it), but I will admit that I don’t seem to be all that crazy about Malick in general.

18. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I slept through Chariots Of Fire. I walked out of Rocky Horror Picture Show, my girlfriend got hit by a roll of flying toilet paper and she was not amused.

19. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here.... Thread Starter

The previews at what interested us in it,& the reviews sealed the deal, but we literally hated every moment we saw of it. Oddly enough, though nobody followed us out of the theater, there was little to no laughing at the movie by a fairly large audience at the time.

20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Wow !That was one hell of a rant!
    But I agree with you on how bad that ' King Kong ' was. Terrible. Jessica Lange looked great though. I mean really great. Couldn't act for **** but damn..
    Didn't mind ' Game Night ' . Not a great movie by any means but I' ve seen far worse so-called comedies.
    As for the walking out on a movieI've never done it. Should have a few times I suppose but hung in there to the bitter end.
    'Bobby Deerfield ' ? Worst Pacino movie ever and that's saying something. What a stinker.

21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Only movie I ever walked out on was Saving Private Ryan. I left some friends there too. Not necessarily because I thought it was bad, it was just too much for me in one sitting.

22. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

St. Elmo's Fire

Old Rusty and Bluesman Mark like this.
  23. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I never walked out of any movie, but if I had to choose which ones I would have now wished I walked out of:
    Tarzan The Ape Man (only Bo Derrick kept me watching that film, but not by much)
    Cannonball Run
    Godzilla (1998)

24. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I wish I had walked out on both "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" and the 2017 version of Stephen King's "It". I got invited to both by friends, so I didn't want to be rude - but had I been at the theatre on my own, I would've left early. Both movies just didn't do it at all for me and bored me to death despite having been very highly rated in general :shrug:

LilacTeardrop and Bluesman Mark like this.
  25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Don't blame you- the train wreck of the 80s. A pretty good premise for a film and a good cast. But the result was a farce.

My friend and I found it appalling, but stayed due to disbelief. Ironically, if it pops up on TV, I will watch because it does remind me of my college years and I still get a kick out of the fashions. Not to mention how bad it is.