Moving record collection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am moving on Saturday and need to transport my collection....about 600 LPs.

Do i need to remove all the records from the jacket to avoid splits or will it be okay if i am careful lifting and moving the boxes? Would movement in the van en route to the new place prove to be a potential issue?

The records are all in suitable boxes and not packed too tight...ie just snug.

What do you think? Removing them will take some time but i will do it if it is likely to happen...

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Remove all the records from their jackets. It is very time consuming and boring task but it is the safest way to avoid splits.
    I have moved all over the country with my record collection and never had any problems. Movement in the van does not create any issues. The covers offer very good protection to the records and as long as the LPs are outside the cover you have nothing to worry about.
    Good luck with the moving.

3. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Liquor boxes are the best way to pack lps. Usually they are free from liquor stores. Pack them somewhat tight, just not crammed in there and they will be fine.

johnny q, richbdd01 and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. richbdd01

Damn, that sucks :shake:

5. richbdd01

I already have them packed in proper boxes ready to go...my question is regarding whether to leave the LP’s in their jackets...

6. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I moved halfway across the country without removing them from their sleeves with no issues. They won’t get jostled like they would if being sent in the mail.

7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

When I moved a couple months ago, the large majority of my LPs are outside of its jacket and had them stored in a myriad of milk crates and cardboard boxes haphazardly and they were fine. No problems to report back, though if you have any records made out of shellac, be extra careful.

richbdd01 and 5-String like this.
  8. richbdd01

Surely if the records are snug in each boxes, they arent going to move much? Dilemma...

bever70 likes this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I moved from Southern California to Oregon & used U-Haul packing boxes that held my LPs perfectly. I left them in the covers without a split at all.
    (I wouldn't feel safe with them out of the covers, to be quite honest...)

10. Removing the LPs from their jacket is overkill as far as I'm concerned. As long as they're packed in an appropriately sized box and very snug so there'll be little to no chance of movement you'll be fine. I've moved several times and have never had an issue.

dbsea, SandAndGlass, fuse999 and 11 others like this.
  11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have moved over a dozen times with my collection and have never removed them from their jackets. Not a single split. I do keep them in poly sleeves, so that may affect things.

And I find U-Haul carries boxes to be a perfect size.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    SandAndGlass, fuse999, jsr and 8 others like this.
  12. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

In the circumstances that you are shifting them, leaving them in the jacket will be fine.

Fishoutofwater and richbdd01 like this.
  13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Tote bags are your friend. Fill 'em up, then rack 'em across the van floor and you're golden.

richbdd01 and nwdavis1 like this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would be more worried of corner damage. Suggest if they are not in Really Useful boxes (plastic crates) to double box them. If they are packed tight in rigid container there is virtually zero chance of slice through. Also I would move them myself rather than trust to removal company. If you don't have a suitable vehicle hire a van.

richbdd01 and nosliw like this.
  15. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I packed a hell of a lot more LPs than you and left them in the jackets and I didn't have any splits other than what was split before. Buy special boxes designed for LPs and pack them pretty tight. No warps of any kind despite being in a Phoenix warehouse in a container for a few months - in the summer!!

Remember to number the boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember to number the boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

I have moved cross country 5 times in the last 30 years. Each time was by a professional (I use that word loosely) carrier like United, Wheaton, etc. I always packed my LP collection (900+) in 1.5 cubic FT boxes . Not the ones at Lowes or Home Depot sells, those are smaller and shorter, but the ones the moving companies sell/ use. They are 12 1/2 X12X24 and allow the Lps to stand upright, with enough space for padding (cardboard strips) on the top and bottom. I have never removed the records from jackets. That said, I have NEVER had damage, even when this idiot was carrying an LP box on his shoulder and dropped it!

As mentioned above, number the boxes!!! I number the boxes then put "A thru C", C thru E", etc. Unpacking is a bitch, this makes it so much easier.

Also, don't worry about the heat in the trailer. A few years ago, the carrier had no drivers to haul my stuff already loaded in the trailer. the trailer sat outside in AZ during a heat wave of 119 degrees for two weeks......no damage/warping to anything.....

SandAndGlass, richbdd01 and forthlin like this.
  17. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

No need to remove the lp's from the covers but the proper box is important. I've moved my records multiple times in plastic corrugated boxes I got from a retailer.

18. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I'm moving Friday but only have about 120 LP's in 3 cubes. To be honest I'm just keeping them in the cubes and wrapping the crap out of them with bubble wrap and climgfilm stuff to keep safe and secure. Lucky we're moving around half a mile, so chance of damage is lower (I hope)

19. If you are transporting records in proper dedicated record boxes, and they are packed snuggly, so they can't move around, you have nothing to worry about.
    All my LP's are each stored in plastic sleeves with the records inside inner sleeves and outside the jackets(except for the sealed ones). If they don't fit on the shelf, they are in dedicated, double-wall, record storage boxes as are my sealed records.
    With 1,000's of records, including moving them around, other than 78's, I've never had any kind of damage to records or their jackets. 600 LP's would be like 10 or so boxes to me and would all fit in the back of my short-bed pick-up quite nicely, with room to spare. I once transported 10,000 45's in boxes in the back of my pick-up with room to spare. Not one casualty. I bought a collection of about 500 LP's in plain old generic cardboard boxes and transported them in the back of my pick-up also with no casualties. It ain't rocket science!

Angry Possum and richbdd01 like this.
  20. Ere

Ere Senior Member

If you're worried about vertical movement of LPs cutting into the outer jackets instead of taking the time to remove them all instead place one-inch thick foam or padding underneath the boxes in the moving van.
    That should absorb any energy from road bumps along the way, then make sure to the boxes have solid handles and are put down carefully as they are moved.

21. llama

llama Forum Resident

I moved a rather valuable Beatles collection twice. About 600LPs and 700+ singles. I left them in jackets and they were packed in record boxes.

richbdd01, forthlin and audiomixer like this.
  22. richbdd01

Thanks for the responses! :righton:

I have a good van to move them and i will move them myself with the help of my father. So they will be moved with utmost care. I was concerned about movement in the van but as i said, they will be fairly snug...not overfilled but reasonably well enough to avoid movement inside the jacket.

My old man also has a trolley. I have about 20 boxes filled so they are manageable size.

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I'd just put them in boxes that fit LPs and move them 'carefully'... and just get the job done.

YOU move them. That way there zero problems.

ZippyPippy, Aftermath and richbdd01 like this.
  24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I too am a veteran of many long-distance moves with several thousand records on board. I never removed the discs from the sleeves, it never even occurred to me. If you are concerned about the records moving side-to-side in the box you can throw a layer of newspaper or foam peanuts in the side. I packed the records myself, but I always used professional movers and never had any damage. I did have a very small number of jewel box casualties but that's fixable.:)

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Each of these two nuggets are pearls of great wisdom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.