Mozart 225: The New Complete Edition contains 200 CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

My Mozart box is English 02959

I liked the idea of trying to do one CD a week (which will last the Trump presidency - even though I'm Australian, USA politics makes such a difference to world politics that this makes sense to me). I'll play each CD a few times that week, then move on to the next one.

I decided to randomly select which disc to play (I put =RANDBETWEEN(1,200) into an Excel spreadsheet) and my first number was 185 - the second half of Mozart's arrangement of Handel's Messiah. I bet I'm the only person in the world who listened to this disc first out of this box set!)

This is a performance from 1974 and what struck me first was the use of modern instruments and the voices still being a bit Wagnerian. But the performance has great energy, and I enjoyed this disc much more the 2nd time I played it.

PS - With Beethoven I usually prefer versions with authentic instruments. After Beethoven it makes less of a difference, but with things like his Piano Concertos it starts off with a Mozart piano and ends up with something much closer to a modern piano.

goer, ispace and Mr. H like this.
  2. Musicalnote

Musicalnote Well-Known Member

What I meant was it had had no additional shipping box. It came raw with the ACTUAL Mozart bow as the ""shipping box" itself. You can imagine the damage it took.
    I am really still in shock ........

3. MichaelCPE

The box that mine came in was a big cardboard box with white foam supports inside into which the actual box sat. I think this is the way the box was sent to distributors. There are photos of this earlier in this topic (or the overall mega-box-set classical music topic).

Mine came safely all the way from the UK to Australia, and was in perfect condition. And I can imaging this box being given some rough handling and the inner box still being totally undamaged.

So I don't understand why you expect yet another layer of packaging. Or is it that your box isn't as I described?

PS - Of course I understand fully your being upset that your box arrived damaged.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't think that musicalnote received the same packaging you did. From his posts I think he just got the shrink-wrapped Mozart Edition with postage slapped on it. Unacceptable!

5. MichaelCPE

The packaging I got was clearly done by the manufacturer - like getting a toaster packaged in a box.

If his box had been taken out of this packaging and just shipped without protection ... then UNACCEPTABLE!

6. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Mine had no outer box. But it was a warehouse deal. Perfect inside so I am happy :)

Tim

7. arley

arley Forum Resident

Well, according to President Obama, people in Austria speak Austrian.

But the intelligentsia of the time were multilingual; as the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V said, "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse."

8. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

what is the Masterworks set missing?

9. masswriter

it excerpts the last movement of the 9th? not buying ... ugh.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well thats just dumbassdum at its finest ..geesh.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hope they NEVER make another box set where the case is plexiglass. The Anne-Sophie Mutter set was a disaster, with most cases broken when new. Plexiglass also ages very poorly.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Mine came in the original manufacturer box, but that box has very sturdy foam surround holders for the actual CD box, and should withstand moderate earthquakes

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I once received a used Bear Family label box (an LP sized outer box with book and CDs) where the dealer taped up the actual box, and pasted a label and postage on the front. Wow.

14. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I bought this DGG Complete Beethoven Edition back in 1997. It's no longer available except for one or two copies on Amazon at around $7500!! However, it may be re-issued or updated in a few years as a big Beethoven anniversary is on the way and Germany has been allocated 27 million euro for this.
    The "Brilliant" edition is very good at around $100 but it doesn't contain any text or translations.

[​IMG]

Imagine70 likes this.
  15. masswriter

what is the anniversary date? what will Germany do with that much money?

16. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Does anyone have the slightest of glitches on their disc 83, track 4 (Piano Concerto #20, I) from 2.31-2.32 during the first piano solo? It is very slight, but obvious with headphones. The disc looks clean, but the glitch still seems to be there.

17. Jayseph

Thanks for the Beethoven help, all! I think I might wait for the next inevitable anniversary and dwell in this Mozart set when I need my classical fix (along with the Bach). I probably have enough Beethoven for the time being. Plus, this Mozart will take a very long time to fully digest.

fogalu likes this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Saw this thread and recalled seeing this box on a PopMarket daily deal today for $399.99. Unsure if that is a good price or not, simply passing it along just in case.

Various Artists | Mozart 225 | 200 x CD »

19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

That is inexcusable! Mine was shipped with the box set in a protected box with dense vinyl shipping inserts cradling the box and then boxed again with an additional outer box. This was from Presto. They shipped super fast also. They sent Friday-I received it Monday. The box set was wrapped in a cellophane clear wrap.

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not. Amazon UK had the box for $186 shipped to the US a week ago. Many of us jumped on that deal.

21. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith New Member

I thought I had found some glitches in the chamber music box on some of the discs but I am not sure. They were there on my big system but not when I tried the one disc on two 'boom boxes' at the same spot. The discs looked clean, but the glitch went away when I either blew on the disc or wiped it, but then seemed to come back.
    [By way of comparison, I have a disc in a different set that plays fine on the big system that then skips when played on either of the 'boom boxes.']
    BTW, I ordered my set from Barnes and Noble because I had some gift certificates. The set came as others have said theirs did: in a larger box cushioned with styrofoam inserts. I love the way the set is arranged, but must admit I had not figured out the a1, a2 etc. until I saw it here.

22. Jayseph

When you can, take some time with the two books. The bio is not amazing, but is well written. The second volume has a lot of information including what the a1 etc is about. If you have a tablet, make sure to download the app that has all of the librettos. I really wish they would included a K book on the app along with history and discussion of each work.

Mr. H likes this.
  23. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith New Member

I agree with you about the K book. I was able to download the librettos to my desktop from the DG site. I was surprised that they did not include texts for the non-opera vocal music with the librettos of the operas.
    I also like the two hard-back books. The way the music is discussed in the same order as it is found on the CDs in an improvement over the Philip's set.

Jayseph likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow, as Gomer would say...

Was going out for the evening and a big ol box of Amadeus was sitting on my porch. Didnt expect it until the end of the month. Very cool! And no damage that I can see. Had the foam support packaging in a cardboard box. Amazing it traveled so far and didnt get damaged.

Pretty cool piece :cool:

#1616 (for those keeping track)

Id have to say this is my biggest boxset by far (feels like an ancient crypt door being opened when I took the lid off). Probably one of the most elegant Ive seen also. Lotsa music to listen to.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    dajokr likes this.
  25. Jayseph

I wrote DG about adding the K-book and other pieces in the app. This is the response I got:

Thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in Deutsche Grammophon!

Right now, there are no plans made to include the K-book into the app. At first, the Mozart 225 Edition is ought to be physical. All digital material is exclusive.
    We will get back to you as soon as plans become concrete.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further inquiries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.