Mozart,Beethoven,Ravel,Pink Floyd,Beatles and ............fill in the blank

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I don't. There are already countless Tribute Bands around the world playing Pink Floyd's music, and just recently the Detroit Symphony Orchestra was performing the Music Of Pink Floyd. I just saw the Australian Pink Floyd show in Detroit the other day, and it was a great tribute to the Band. I think they have a good chance of being remembered down the road, more so than most bands in the last 30+ years.

innercircle and drasil like this.
  2. drasil

drasil Former Resident

to oversimplify something I've written about elsewhere here--the older music most of today's teenagers who are not music heads are familiar with, from my own observations: the beatles, zeppelin, and pink floyd.

not coincidentally, these are three of the best-selling acts of all time. the others ranked at 250 million units or more in claimed sales are Elvis, Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Elton John. these will be the agents of 20th century pop music familiar to people of the 22nd century in the way we are today familiar with Beethoven and Mozart.

music heads will be music heads. some people will be listening to Neil Young in 2115, but when it will come to the future mainstream's awareness of music from our last fifty years, that's the list.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Pop musicians are generally just not "composers" in the same way since classical is just different. Of course some pop verges on classical in some ways, such as early Genesis.

Probably a lot of folks on this forum would be disappointed if they fast forwarded into the future. Neil Young? Doubt he'll be played much, actually. What kids listen to that? Herb Alpert was HUGE but who listens to him now? Or, dare I say it, even Elvis. This forum is skewed full of folks who do listen to all this stuff, but in the "real world" pop moves on and kids generally have no idea.

I think some songs will survive and be played, but I doubt many artists entire or big chunk of their bodies of work will really be listened to by 2112 or whenever. In the case of Pink Floyd, maybe "Dark Side Of The Moon" and "Shine On you Crazy Diamond" will still have some listeners, but akin to how a few folks listen to Louis Armstrong still today (let me stress "few"). The situation of classical music differs because most of what is listened to pre-dates recording technology so only the "best" stuff was preserved.

Robin L and monotubevibe like this.
  4. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

I agree with you, however it makes me sad. Beethoven and Mozart were not the most popular music of their time, we know of them today because later generations of composers studied and learned from them. Their music endured because of the greatness, and that is how it's judged. It's too bad the Velvet Underground won't be remembered in the future the same way Pink Floyd will be. But again, I think your observation is correct.

Schubert, Schubert, Schubert. The VU of classical music.

5. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

Thank you.Finally someone on the same page.

6. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Faure is the French composer that really does it for me.

monotubevibe likes this.
  7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Definitely Dylan, though more for his lyrics than his melodies.

8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Jimmy Webb
    Paul Simon
    Billy Joel
    Burt Bacharach/Hal David
    Rodgers and Hammerstein
    Hank Williams
    ...and most definitely Bach

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Gordon Lightfoot is one of the finest writers of both lyrics and melodies of the 20th century and works hard at the craft of marrying the perfect lyric to the perfect melody. Though he has had some great commercial success, his name doesn't usually come up when discussing the immortal greats who will always be remembered. The same goes for Ray Davies and the Bee Gees.

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Sleaford Mods!

12. LadyGrinningSoul

LadyGrinningSoul Forum Resident

David Bowie

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Rimsky-Korsakov, Jobim, Wilson.

PF? :unhunh:

SteveCooks likes this.
  14. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

The answer is quite simple. Go to the concert of any artist decades after their first success. Then take a look at the audience. If it's only one generation sitting there (and maybe even the generation of the artist him/herself), the music will die with that generation.
    If you go to a concert of a long standing artist and you find an equal mix of generations from young to very old, it's more likely that their music will be passed on to further generations.

Also this ridiculous distinction between "classical" composers/artists and rock-artists should be a thing of the past. Those composers like Mozart and Beethoven were the "rock musicians" of their times. And they were tied to the instruments, that were available then. The loudest they could get was an orchestra. But if you read their biografies (esp. Mozart!!!) they were the same characters as the rock musicians we know.
    This seperation between "classical music" and "entertaining music" was just the later invention of the GEMA paying higher fees to the composers of orchestral music just because they wouldn't earn as much as those who made "popular" music. It was an attempt to keep that style alive. But in some circles it led to the snobby belief, that classical music is more worthy....

Dave Hoos likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

16. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

There is certainly a distinction between classical and rock/popular music. It has a completely different form and function and those differences have nothing to do with 'snobbery'. I agree that classical music should be accessible for all people, but that doesn't make it the same. I'm happy to continue this conversation, but it's not the point of the thread. Carry on.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Tlay and monotubevibe like this.
  17. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Paul Simon and Prince! Two of the greatest composers.

And one of my personal favorites: Paul Heaton.
    He was the composer for most of the material of The Housemartins and The Beautiful South. Really great music.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

None. At least no rock composers that I assume we're discussing.

19. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

Stravinski, Gershwin , Bach, Verdi , Cole Porter,

monotubevibe likes this.
  20. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

Ellington, vivaldi,

21. Herjo

Herjo Forum Resident

Hendrix

Dave Hoos and ronm like this.
  22. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Bach would go before both Mozart and Beethoven, and they would have agreed with me, from what I've read.

Also, DYLAN!!!!

23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That was the first thing that came to me, reading this title.

It's possible that a hundred years from now, everything from the last fifty years or so will be disregarded. There's just too much of it, and it all will sound the same to distant generations.

24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Paul Simon, specifically the Simon and Garfunkel years.

25. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

"Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Brahms..."
    They're wonderful people.
    ;):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.