MQA - A clever stealth DRM-Trojan (CCC talk)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ric-Tic, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

IIRC Chesky Records were supposed to release MQA encoded CDs in 2017. I have no idea if they did it or not.

2. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I'm concerned in that if all of the labels make this their preferred format, the quality of the sound of regular Redbook cds will suffer, as Archimago intimated. I can't see MQA making these sound "better".

McLover likes this.
  3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They did.

4. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

While I can understand the concern, I seriously doubt that MQA is much of a threat to physical media. With sales continuing to spiral downwards and a massive amount of used product available I just don't think the labels will put any energy into that.

I do see it being a possible threat to streaming though, but even there I'm not sure it's worth getting too worried about, at least in terms of MQA becoming a "standard". The vast majority of streaming is already lossy and there isn't any real argument for employing MQA here. It's exactly the kind of technology Apple won't support: they don't like anyone else holding the keys to any data format central to their ecosystem, so good luck there.

I also don't think it's something Spotify is likely to adopt. At least I can't think of a single reason they would: it would entail additional cost and probably confuse their customer base who don't give a rat about high res. If your customers are happy with MP3 it's not like it's a big selling point to add a different lossy format that "sounds better".

And if you don't have those two players on board, you don't have much of a standard for streaming. Now, MQA could possibly become a defacto-standard for high res streaming, and that would be a shame if it's the only option available. But I really don't think you have to worry about physical media.

ggjjr and LeeS like this.
  5. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

One of the reasons that the labels love MQA is that it will help prevent "streamripping" people ripping the contents of the streaming signal and burning them or uploading them to sharing sites. There was an article about it in HiFi News several months ago. And while the article didn't mention MQA, I have no doubt that that is one of its goals. Good for the labels, Bob Stuart and the streaming services but nothing for the users.

Kyhl and Blank Frank like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If it is a CD, it should meet RedBook standards set by Philips and Sony. No RedBook, it is not a proper Compact Disc/Digital Audio. And MQA junk is not in that standard. Also, no audible watermark junk, here's looking at you Universal Music.

Shawn, Centurion, mj_patrick and 3 others like this.
  7. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Wow those Music Execs are really out of touch! They need to get out and look at what's going on.

Just a few months ago I was in a local JB Hi Fi Store, similar to Best Buy over in your part of the world. It sells CDs, phones, Ipods, computers, TVs, DVDs etc. They are are now also selling vinyl, not a huge range, the vinyl display is about the same size as the CD display.

I was standing around at the counter for 15 minutes waiting as I was returning something. In those 15 minutes, 12 people purchased vinyl, 9 of them looked 21 or younger. The majority of the people I see in second hand record stores are also in that age group.

McLover, wgriel and ggjjr like this.
  8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

And if they want to bring the vinyl with them in their pocket they just download the MP3 from the accompanied card, or rip the vinyl themselves.

McLover likes this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Has anyone mentioned the new Music Direct catalog? I just received it a few days ago and page after page of MQA mentions and logos next to DACs.. I don't remember the last one having anything like this.

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

PT Barnum never said the infamous quote attributed to him.

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Nothing new. The high end audio industry is morally and intellectually bankrupt..they have been using three and four letter logos
    on their front panels and in catalogs for a while, they got this from the video industry, where studies proved that consumers gravitated
    towards the models with the most logos on the bottom panel..HDMI, 3D, 4K, NetFlix etc...same game being played here, and has been for a while.

missan likes this.
  12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There are alternatives for enabling high-res streaming while reducing bandwidth. MQA isn't the only solution. There are others.

For example, BRIO by OraStream. Here's an article on AudioStream about OraStream: BRIO by OraStream: Native Hi-Res Streaming

OraStream is one solution. There are going to be others. No need for MQA for people who want to stream high-res.

13. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’ve been reading about MQA and the thing I can’t figure out is how it benefits me, the consumer if I have to replace my gear and media purchases (yet again)?

Coricama and showtaper like this.
  14. ServingTheMusic

There is NO benefit what so ever to you. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

pedalhead, McLover and wgriel like this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

So we know for a fact, independently verified, that that the claims of:

-Authentication
    -"Master Quality"
    -Time Domain improvement
    -Improved sound

and the need for a bandwidth saving solution are all lies and fabrications..tell me why anyone is still talking about MQA?

16. Claude Benshaul

Which is why I wrote it was a legend. But once a legend is established it gain credibility until it become a truth.

17. Claude Benshaul

Because it's entertaining. For me it reminds the scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian where the goes with his mom to watch the prophets preaching in the town's square.

Kyhl and missan like this.
  18. Claude Benshaul

It doesn't benefit you because ultimately you are not the customer.

missan likes this.
  19. missan

missan Forum Resident

It's not mean't to benefit consumers.

ServingTheMusic and rednedtugent like this.
  20. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

".tell me why anyone is still talking about MQA?"

Because we keep talking about it?

ggjjr likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

...there is that...:cool:

22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

True enough!

I’d add that in this thread a predominant number of participating SHF members are doing the exact opposite by challenging the mythos that MQA and its promoters are trying to establish. Dismantling the legend, as it were, in order to create a challenging viewpoint in the face of MQA’s efforts to specifically avoid listening comparison sessions over which MQA itself has no control.

If MQA gets to rig the comparative listening session game, it can then control the game and, as it already has, entice audiophile journalists to jump on board. That’s how successful marketing and merchandising works.

Unfortunately, as I’ve mentioned previously in other MQA threads on SHF, the results of my own comparative MQA listening sessions haven’t supported MQA’s claims of higher fidelity at all. None of my friends and I have been able to pick out the MQA files during any given session with any greater accuracy than a coin flip.

shaboo, Brother_Rael, LarryP and 4 others like this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes. And vinyl today will be the physical media for them. And transferring it or using the download card the travel, phone and away from home media. I do this myself and I being older.

Kyhl likes this.
  24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I really can't see MQA CDs, ever being embraced. I can't go to a single brick and mortar store and buy a new SACD and I live in a large metropolitan area. The general public said years ago that they didn't want to buy a special player or DAC to spin a disc. They were happy with CD quality.
    So now they're going to try the same thing and this time the CD layer sounds WORSE than CD unless you buy a new player or DAC? Fat chance. Audiophiles may embrace it, if it improves on SACD, but from everything I've read, it doesn't. I think MQA will only get any attention from people who are into streaming and want better quality. I don't stream, so I don't know if consumers are even clamoring for improvement in that market. Full disclosure though... I'm happy with SACD, CD, DSD, hi-res files, CD rips, my DAC and disc spinner and I won't go to any new format until what I'm using explodes.

shaboo likes this.
  25. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Exactly. The industry wants to push consumers to a subscription model, and wants to ensure that consumers can not copy streaming content. Pay to play. It is always about the money, never about the consumer. MQA creates additional revenue streams because of licensing rights and may encourage additional hardware purchases to ensure compatibility with MQA content.

But the consumer can be funny. Historically, consumers only respond on a large/mass scale to changes that reset the paradigm. 78 to LP. LP to CD. CD was deemed good enough, and attempts to "improve" it only succeeded at the margins. The masses never embraced SACD/DVD-A. In other areas think B&W to Color, VHS to DVD, tube to Flat Screen. But 3D largely failed, curved screens are difficult to find, and 4K is expensive marketing hype. MQA represents another marginal change that I predict consumers will largely ignore. On the other hand, if the industry forces manufacturers to only sell MQA product then the consumer will not have a choice and will be forced to participate. But understand it will be against the will of the consumer and they will be ignorant of the supposed effects.

Shiver, gd0 and Bubbamike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.