Mr. Hoffman, famous "visitors" to your site

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey Steve, are you or were you ever aware of any famous musicians visiting this forum? Have you ever encouraged any to "drop in"? Like, let's say, Paul or Ringo, remaining Doors, etc. That would be so cool to actually have some famous musicians answer some questions related to the remastering of their catalogs, etc. And then we could all beg Paul to give a listen to your work on the CCR catalog so that he would insist on you and Kevin remastering the Beatles.

2. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

What would Paul's nickname be? The Walrus?

3. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

ybe,

you are from Tampere? Do you know Arto Kolinummi?

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, not many responses to my thread. I thought it was a pretty good question to ask. Hey, you never know who's lurking. I just thought Steve may have been aware of some famous visitors to the site. (ohh boy, I spelled "visitors" wrong in the title---oh well---I wonder if there's any way to correct that?)

5. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Yes, I am. No, don't know him. Is he Paul in disguise? ;) (Trying to keep the thread going). Talkin' 'bout famous visitors here, you know. :cool: Not that Arto isn't famous...

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If you want the spelling corrected, just PM Mr. Zoo; he takes care of such things.

I suspect the reason you haven't gotten a response thus far is because anybody famous will likely be a lurker(as you've guessed already), so he/she will read but not post. I'm sure there have been a few; Steve is well known enough, and the www being global, I don't know how all the famous musicians in the world could have missed us.

ED:cool:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Famous visitors?

Let's see: Arnold Stang, Ed Feinblatt, Carlos Santana's brother Chuck, Judge Ito, Erin Gray, Della Reese, Ray Manzerek (wait, he really DOES lurk here!)

I don't know really. Since most of YOU choose to be anonymous, we can't expect our famous people to sign on under their own names, can we? ;)

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The only reason I use my real name is if I didn't, I'd forget which username I used and where:p :D That, and the fact I'm not clever enough to come up with a username worth a damn, to tell the truth. I tried several--emb was a thought at one point--but nah. The real one is easy to remember, and hasn't gotten me into too much trouble....yet. And old friends in other forums are so used to it why bother changing it now? Besides, Ed Feinblatt is already taken:D

ED:cool:

9. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

if I told you I was really Keith Richards, would you believe me? :agree: I wish... Then I could play "Start Me Up" correctly on guitar.

10. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

The secret is open tunings. Once you get that right, Keith's stuff is relatively easy to play and cool.......:cool:

11. John B

Steve has mentioned in a Phil Spector thread that people like Hal Blaine take a peek. We're in great company here.
    John

12. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

No matter what the tuning is, still doesn't sound right when I play it. Keith, are you there? Help me!

Or Ron? :help:

:D

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The intro to Start Me Up?

Regular tuning. (I forgot what key the damn song is in so I'll guess). Do a barre chord on B major. Start in first position, with one down stroke and two strokes in the second position. Slide down to A, etc.

So the two chords (in Nashville terms) are 1 and 4, played in the B barre, using the bottom part of the second finger on the second position. In other words, no need to change to the second position, just let your fingers fall upward using the padding in the middle of your finger.

Kind of a reverse lick to "Saturday Night's Allright For Fighting".

Does this make sense at all?

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Edward M_____ Bishop.

So, let's hear it Ed.

Milton
    Martin
    Marcus
    Marion (I don't personally trust any man who's named after his mother though :) )

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll bet it's Michael...:laugh:

16. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Nope - Monophonic... :D

17. John B

Really? There's an open tuning in there somewhere. No? It's been ten years but I'll have to check.
    Much of Keef's stuff uses open tunings. I thought this one did too. :confused:

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Arnold Stang - perhaps he could recite Ferdinand the Bull for us (was that on Kapp Records, BTW)???

19. Michael

Arnold was great in The Man With the Golden Arm! and of course...The Voice of my favorite-TOP CAT...:thumbsup:

20. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Ed please forgive me but how about "Ratchet Jaw"?

Sorry couldn't resist.

21. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

:D This is getting wierd. I thought it was obvious I was joking. I've played that tune since the early 80's. :D I don't sound as good as Keith, though. I blame my lobotomy.

Nice to meet you Steve. Greetings from Finland. Thanks for the lesson! I like to confuse people, and now I hit the jackpot!

Start Me Up:

http://music.kulichki.net/txt/rolling_stones/start_me_up.shtml

22. Michael

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eek:

23. Michael

:laugh: Nah, EDs a Stereo-lover at heart!;)

24. John B

Thanks for posting ybe, it sounds like you in fact do a decent "Start Me Up". I am relieved that your link says that Keef uses an "open G" tuning.

"As with a lot of Rolling Stones songs, Keith Richards tunes his guitar to
    an 'open G' (low to high: D,G,D,G,B,D) tuning. The 6th (lowest) string is
    removed when playing this song. Another more or less trademark of
    Richards"

Steve can usually tell you what guitar and amp are being used to help you get closer to the sound.

25. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

You are welcome, John. My "Start Me Up" is mediocre at best. It's the only thing I can play on a guitar. :D Joking, joking. Time for bed now. It's 6:25 am here. (Trying to explain my lame humor). Good night Keith, Ron, if you are lurking here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.