Mr. Hoffman, famous "visitors" to your site

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I need your opinions. I'm trying to decide which sardonic content-free bandwidth wasting post i should use in this thread. I'm torn between:

a) Famous? Heck, you would recognize my name if you ever bothered to read the police briefs in the Michigan newspapers.

and

b) Famous? I was once in an audience shot from a taping of Conan O'Brien because I happened to be sitting next to Andy Richter's dad. Bask in the glow of my supernova fame, Star-f--kers!!!

What's that you say? Okay, by unanimous vote of the forum, we have settled on:

c) Stop typing, Ken.

Good choice!

Regards,

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Erin Gray!!! She was Hott on Buck Rogers.... :laugh:

Hey Ray, :wave:

4. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

b) Famous? I was once in an audience shot from a taping of Conan O'Brien because I happened to be sitting next to Andy Richter's dad. Bask in the glow of my supernova fame, Star-f--kers!!!

Regards, [/B][/QUOTE]

Ken-
    I gotta tell you.... I nearly choked on my oatmeal reading this one. I've been laughing about this line for about 15 minutes! Thank you for causing a near death experience for me! I need to teach the dog the Heimlich maneuver in case this happens again.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Erin Gray :love: :love: :love:

&ru

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

She put me through puberty.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And so it is...at my mother's insistence. For whatever reason, she didn't want me known as 'junior' for the rest of my days. The initial's the same as my father's, but not the middle name. Something else I have to thank her for:)

ED:cool:

8. Ed Bishop

I could have it legally changed, but my friends still delusionally into stereo, well, I don't want to alienate them too much...so I guess I'll keep it as is, happy as I am in both worlds.

9. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

steve,
    this is a first,
    but, i have to disagree.
    keef recorded and performs start me up in open g.
    in fact, his tele is only strung with 5 strings for this tuning
    (he removes the low e string) just like a banjo.
    it makes for easier chord voicings and a different tone
    from standard tuning.
    he uses this tuning and other open tunings (E, D) for most all stones stuff.
    give it a try.
    it's totally easy and fun!
    btw steve, what axe are you currently slingin'?

Start Me Up
    OPEN G : D - G - D - G - B - D
    (Be like Keef and remove your low d string)

INTRO and VERSE
    1 2 3 back to 2
    D+------------|-----------|-------------+--------------------------------------+
    B+---5--6--6--|--5--6--6--|-5--6--6-----+--0h3---4-3--3--4-4-4-4-3----5--5-6-6-+
    G+---5--5--5--|--5--5--5--|-5--5--5-----+--0h3-3-3-3--3--3-3-3-3-3----5--5-5-5-+
    D+---5--7--7--|--5--7--7--|-5--7--7-----+--0h3-3-5-3--3--5-5-5-5-3----5--5-7-7-+
    G+---5--5--5--|--5--5--5--|-5--5--5-----+--0h3-3-3-3--3--3-3-3-3-3----5--5-5-5-+
    D+------------|-----------|-------------+--------------------------------------+

CHORUS
    <...........twice.......................>
    D+--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
    B+---5--------5--5--10------5--8\7--5-5-+-5-----5-5--0h3-5-5----5------5--5---+
    G+---5--5-----5--5--10------5--8\7--5-5-+-5-5---5-5--0h3-5-5----5-5----5--5---+
    D+---5--5--5--5--5--10------5--8\7--5-5-+-5-5-5-5-5--0h3-5-5----5-5-5--5--5---+
    G+------5--5--5--5--10------5--8\7--5-5-+---5-5-5-5--0h3-5-5------5-5--5--5---+

D+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
    B+---8\7-5-5-----5----------5--5--------+--0h3-5-5----5--3-5-5-5--3-5-5-5---+
    G+---8\7-5-5-----5--5-------5--5--------+--0h3-5-5----5--3-5-5-5--3-5-5-5---+
    D+---8\7-5-5-----5--5--5----5--5--------+--0h3-5-5----5--3-5-5-5--3-5-5-5---+
    G+---8\7-5-5--------5--5----5--5--------+--0h3-5-5----5--3-5-5-5--3-5-5-5---+
    D+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

back to 3
    B+-3--5--5--5-----5-----6----5--6--6----+-------------------------------------+
    G+-3--5--5--5-----5-----5----5--5--5----+-------------------------------------+
    D+-3--5--5--5-----5-h7-------5--7--7----+-------------------------------------+
    G+-3--5--5--5-----5----------5--5--5----+-------------------------------------+

10. Steve Hoffman

Yes, yes, yes, I know.

My way is just the down and dirty way to play the song if you're in a band and don't have time to re tune or have a separate guitar for Keith type playing.

Sorry for the confusion guys!

11. seasideboy

seasideboy Senior Member

Sorry to have to correct the esteemed host of this site (do I get penalized? :), but Keith is in open G (remove the low string for true authentic Keith sound). First chord is barred straight across the fifth fret (C chord). Second chord the D string fingers at the seventh and B string at the 6th, while others stay at the 5th. That is the classic Keith chord, found in Brown Sugar and countless others. Next chord moves down to the third fret and does similar stuff. The occasional quick release to an open chord before the next chord really tightens the riff up.

Ron Wood is playing in regular tuning I believe. Starts with C note on the 5th string and goes down to the F on the low E.

Wow, that was more guitar stuff for an audiophile site than allowed! And yes, it is like Saturday Night's Allright. Kind of like the Raspberries 'Go All The Way' is like Brown Sugar.

12. Steve Hoffman

Welcome. But like I posted earlier:

13. seasideboy

seasideboy Senior Member

Thanks. I realized after I posted, a newbie probably shouldn't start off with a disagreement. Bad etiquette. But you're right, 9 times out of 10 I play Keith's stuff in standard tuning anyway

14. Steve Hoffman

I love Keith's playing.

His solo album is a primer on "Neat Keith Guitar Openings". :p

Seasideboy, welcome again. Post often and long.

15. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

I guess it's no problem for Keith to play alternate tunings in concert since he's afforded the luxury of changing guitars almost every song. Poor Chuck Leavell is the one who probably has to figure out what the exact chords are:eek:

16. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I could be "Magic" Johnson in disguise:rolleyes: :D

17. Angel

Angel New Member

Oh, a wise guy! :)

18. Matt

Matt New Member

Man, I hope Ray didn't see that Doors reunion thread...

19. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Why not, I thought most everyone was right about their performance.

20. Matt

Matt New Member

Good point, Mike, but I just hope he wasn't crushed by it. I mean, if I could talk to him right now, I'd let him down easy, y'know?

21. poidog

poidog Senior Member

In my best Homer Simpson..."Mmmmm...Erin Grayyy...aaaaaagh"

22. Steve Hoffman

Heh, Erin Gray was a friend for a little while. My girlfriend was the Ass't Director on Universal's BUCK ROGERS and was pretty close to Erin. I tried to be too. :)

23. Ed Bishop

Who, Steve?!?

Funny how you always turn up, as if on cue. ;)

PS: Where's your SH frog? I miss him.....:(

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In that case: SINGLE MIXES! SINGLE MIXES! SINGLE MIXES! SINGLE MIXES!

Single mixes Light My Fire!

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon now single mixes,
    Can't you see, we all need 'em here,
    We need 'them on those Ceee Deees!
    Why don't you tell him what we said!:)

Hello,
    We all want some sing-mixes here!

I know, don't quit my day job!:D

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That'd be cool!:thumbsup:

Thread Status: