Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dok, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is going to be one of those weird hidden, 'secret' replies....

Probably not too much as the height wasn't overly high. Even though there were some rocks at the bottom, there was also a lot of sand and he was thrown forwards from a near upright position, so he probably landed on his legs in the wet sand.

Also, I doubt Mr Robot would want to kill him, as he's a great asset, so the push was more of a teaching moment - a way to get him to 'wake up' and take on their cause.

Also, it wouldn't service the script to have Elliot couped up in recovery for too long a period of time.

2. Dok

Dok Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd say your right Deesky. Will be interesting to see his reaction going forward.

3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

There's something familiar about that logo, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

macdaddysinfo, vince and Deesky like this.
  4. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

It keeps reminding me of the 'E' in the Dell logo too which they're probably not too happy about.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed the similarity to the old Enron logo too.

I'm sure Elliot is okay. Were those rocks at the bottom? I thought they were trash bags.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Rocks.

7. Rufus McDufus

I saw that scene as an echo/recreation of the 'tough love' that Elliott told Mr Robot about - being thrown out of the window and breaking his arm. Mr Robot is trying to worm himself into Elliott's head.

8. Rufus McDufus

Sorry - being thrown out of the window by his father.

9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Still wondering if Mr. Robot might BE Elliott's head. Have there been any scenes so far where people were talking to Mr. Robot where Elliott wasn't standing right next to him?

I think the whole Tyler Durden thing has merit.

Rufus McDufus and vince like this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

A-thank you!

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think the stunt casting in one of the upcoming episodes of Dennis DeYoung is...interesting...

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Every time I catch it on TV I want to shoot myself.

Hogues likes this.
  13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Good call on page one, by the way. :righton:

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think the show is very interesting so far. Good acting. Excellent tech realism.

The thing that bugs me is that, so far, you have no one to root for (IMHO). You have E(vil) Corp, who may be evil in a Wall Street crony/Fascist sort of way. But the idea that if you take them down and erase all their records you'll free society from the shackles of debt is kind of laughable. Things are so interrelated that what you'd do is collapse the entire worldwide banking system and create chaos. As many (actually a lot more) good people would be hurt as bad ones, and not just those who work in the banking system. In addition, the Mr Robot cause has already revealed that they'll happily kill innocent people to achieve their goal.

So it's hard to root for Mr. Robot as protagonist.

Obviously E(vil) Corp. is not the protagonist, although so far all we know about them is that they're a huge financial conglomerate with a chief IT guy who speaks very bad French.

Elliot is working with Mr. Robot.

So who are we rooting for here?

15. vince

Well... I'm inclined to stick it out, to see which way it goes..
    I have to agree that 'rooting' for someone here might be tuff.
    But, at least, there's gonna be a bit more to this show (hopefully) than, 'Will he 'tear-the-coorperate-boogie-man down or not?', coz, if that drug-dealer finds out he got him arrested, AND, if that 'kid' who's running E(vil) Corp. is as 'tech-smart' as he pretends to be.... there'll be other options for the show.

16. Hey I've worked for that company...

17. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Close. I don't think Mr. Robot is like Tyler Durden- i.e. an alter ego, just that Elliott is the archetypal unreliable narrator. The fact that everyone calls the co. Evil corp shows- even the signs in the co. say Evil- that we're seeing his interpretation of everything, not a true slice of the reality. Remember, this is a kid w/ a history of mental problems, including delusions, for which he's currently being treated- though not cooperating w/ the treatment. He's also a drug addict (morphine!) who is in total denial about his addiction, since he "controls it" through limiting his usage and taking withdrawal medicine after using- though he's already gone off his schedule in just the 2nd episode.

It remains to be seen how unreliable he is. And it is certainly possible that Mr. Robot is in his head- the disappearance of the group after he turned in the CTO could be evidence of that. Though I think that's a red herring. I think Mr. Robot does exist, but possibly is very different from what we've been shown. Did Elliott get pushed or did he actually just jump?

I really like this show- the dark tone, the reality of the tech, the relevant issues (wiping out all debt might not be the solution, but can anyone deny that since the financial crisis hit, it's been more than ever "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer?") and esp. all the unknowns given that we can't take much of anything shown at face value.

This was written originally as a movie, but then found to be too big for that. The production values are much more cinematic than "televisionatic" (telematic?). Already renewed for season 2, apparently the ending is already written, even if all the action leading up to it hasn't been.

For the record, I can't claim these are my ideas, as I've already read a good deal at AVS about this show that clarified my thinking on this. Great start- hope it can keep up to the standards set so far.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    kwadguy likes this.
  18. JimW

BTW- I didn't use spoiler tags, obviously. Haven't we been over this before? If someone enters a thread for a current show and they're not up to date, it's caveat emptor- right?

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think so. We're all just guessing here, anyway.

20. JimW

Plenty of guesses, but I did reveal some specific plot points.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting. The point about how everyone pronounces it EVIL Corp now does seem to support the entire unreliable narrator idea. And once one accepts an unreliable narrator, then I'm much easier about how broad some of the players and ideas have been painted. Of course, this only works if at some point we get to see things from the perspective of another narrator.

This is REALLY far afield from the typical USA Network show. Outside of casting pretty people in a lot of tangential roles (a USA Network hallmark), it's far more gritty than the stuff they typically show. On screen drug use, on screen sex, barely muffled F bombs...It's more HBO than USA.

JimW likes this.
  22. JimW

Yes- I saw that comment often at AVS. I haven't ever really watched a USA series before- at least not other than just checking some out briefly. The fact that it is so different from it's regular fare is probably why I like it.

And you're absolutely right that we need some other perspective(s)- sooner rather than later, or it could become a mess- or a way to get lazy w/ the writing. But given the high quality we've seen so far, I trust that will not be the case.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think that one is supposed to root for Mr Robot, at least I've never seen him to be rootable (lol). He's a fanatic, ideologue and probably an anarchist who has deluded himself and his followers into believing that their aims are pure and noble and therefore their cause is righteous. In many ways, they're just as bad as evil corp.

As for who the show wants us to root for, I think it's Nathan, flaws and all. Nathan does have a moral compass and is fighting hard to keep it in a world that's pulling him in many directions.

bopdd likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You may be right. I'm impressed enough by the show so far to find out...

25. vince

My wife's not watching it; she doesn't like that actor's 'bug-eyes'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.