Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dok, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. when he orders the Appletini, the bartender looks at him like he's crazy and the first person who's ordered that in ages. That scene and the scene in episode one or two when he walks into the arcade and it looks like no one has been there in a while led me to believe that the whole thing was in his mind. And then the girlfriend acknowledged the hacker girl which threw me for a loop. as for the evil corps thing, I think that that is totally in his mind. No one else calls it that, that's just what he hears. I'm liking it so far. As people have said, it has a fight club thing going, but I also keep thinking about he sixth sense.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There's no question that the EVIL Corp thing is in his mind. There was a single scene where they showed E Corp transforming to Evil Corp in his mind. Has anyone called it EVIL Corp in a scene where it's assuredly not his POV?

Hogues likes this.
  3. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Not that I can recall. Even when it's said on TV, he is the one watching it.

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Episode three it had some blatant Durdening: there was the office, the bar, and the h4x0r hangout at the end, where no one acknowledged Christian Slater.

But ... there was a scene in the first episode where Elliot is stalking his psychiatrist and her date outside a restaurant, and two hired goons that were following Elliot sit by a table, and Slater hassles them for some change, and the hired goons clearly react to this.

But ... Elliot is an unreliable narrator, since every mention of ECorp is shown as EvilCorp (even in news tickers on the telly) via his POV, so that interaction may be unreliable as well.

Christian Slater / Tyler Durden is probably the way to Dexterise Elliot further, by giving him an imaginary authority figure acting as his (evil) conscience.

--Geoff

Hogues likes this.
  5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I like it so far. Dark & subversive. The main character takes a bit of getting use to but I'm liking him more all the time.

audiomixer likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hmmm, another episode that was less than stellar. Apart from the first 10 mins or so, the remainder of the episode bored me. Way too much trippy filler nonsense for my taste. Just get on with it!

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Take away the hallucinations and how much was left? Didn't seem like much.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, not much. I liked the way it started because it seemed they were setting up to do a caper, but it then fizzled out.

9. Dok

Dok Senior Member Thread Starter

I liked it alright though I know what you are saying. Maybe they can move on now if Elliot is a least past his addiction. It looks like Allsafe is in for a surprise.

10. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Count me among the minority that enjoyed ep4. Throwing addiction into the mix and mixing some extra backstory, paranoid fixations, the thing with the blonde (which I saw a mile away), and some hallucinatory imagery was all interesting stuff...

I thought he was shot in that flophouse, but I guess not; maybe he is going Tyler durden on us, or maybe slater came in and cleaned the place out to get him out of there...

So far I find the show quite satisfying...

Ps-cute how each episode is named with different video file encoding designation...

Scotian likes this.
  11. Yes

Not Much

Disappointing for me.

I am starting to get bored by this series….It needs to ramp things up.

Is Mr. Robot a real person? The clues are pointing to mostly "no" -and I suspect he may be a dead ringer for Elliot's Dad.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm still 'on board'.

13. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

I'm hanging in for a bit more, the first two episodes were great... hope they didnt jump the shark this week.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No shark jumping. But the hallucination sequence was like the longest "and then I woke up" dream sequence in TV history. Well, except for the end of the second Bob Newhart show or the end of St. Elsewhere.

Not a fan of hallucination or dream sequences in general. Except for the Bob Newhart show :)

We did find out that the cyber security firm that both Elliot and his nota-girlfriend work has both terrible hiring practices and poor internal security. And the nota-girlfriend is a piece of work herself.

Question: Was Elliot's maybe-girlfriend drug dealer setting up the nota-girlfriend? Was she supposed to drug her and motivate her to carry through on the plan?

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Ep 4 = *yawn*

I'm also getting tired of the cinematography. Visually, it's an incredibly ugly show to look at (greenish fluorescent lighting, dismal color palette, etc.). I understand the decisions, and they may fit the mood of the show, but I simply don't find them enjoyable at all.

Also the framing decisions are getting old. The somewhat interesting "let's put the character in the lower left/right corner of the frame" idea was kinda cool the first few times it was used, but it's being used so often now that it's tiresome.

The interesting thing about episode 4 is that it still has not proven Mr. Robot to really exist - no instances of others acknowledging his presence in any scene, with the exception of Elliott's trip to the crack house (which I believe was all just a part of his withdrawals). I don't think Elliott ever left the hotel room.

I'll see the season through, but my interest is waning a bit.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't see how this is interesting at all. It's clear he doesn't exist.

I also am not sure why the girl with the long blonde hair who works with Elliot is so sure that it would be impossible to recover from ID theft because the hacker/blackmailers have access to some bank and loan account statements. If you know what accounts they have access to into on, you close those accounts and have the institutions issue new account numbers. Then you monitor them for any suspicious activity and use a credit monitoring service so you're instantly alerted to any new accounts opened in your name or under your SSN. To avoid this she's willing to instal malware and wreck her career?

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think it's more than just a random 'mood' decision. The greenish fluorescent lighting and a dismal color palette is a reflection of the 'natural' environment that most computer geeks/hackers typically inhabit. I actually give them credit for that.

She did qualify that comment by calling it 'such a massive' ID theft, which implies it would be much harder to recover from than a typical ID theft (apart from the obvious credit card, etc, info, there could be other information that she may not even be aware of, for a long time to come).

18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

There's a lot of this show that reminds me of Fight Club only maybe if it was directed by David Lynch. I like the narration in this very much. Very nicely written. While I thought too that the hallucination scene went on too long, it still held my interest.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

The hallucination scenes went on a bit ... and went a bit Trainspotting ... but I did like the bit were the hackerbros were whinging that Hollywood writers use silly conceits to represent viruses and navigating file systems, and within the hallucination Dexter is looking for an address and sees a "404 not found" poster on a pole.

The effort to not have Christian Slater interact with the other actors (outside of the hallucination) was painful, however. Whisper a word into Dexter's ear, then fade into the background. It's too obvious ... maybe there's a twist coming up where Slater is real and Dexter is really Tyler Durden?

And now a word from our corporate overlords.

--Geoff

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, but because it seems so obvious that Mr Robot isn't real, it could also be a cunning plan by the writers to mask the fact that he really is real. If you go back to the boardwalk scene where Mr Robot pushes Ethan off the edge, does it make sense that Ethan voluntarily jumped instead (and that afterwards Mr Robot mutters the line about committing to no one but himself)?

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Elliot may have tried to commit suicide over the fact that he let his father down.....maybe?
    Someone posted earlier that Mr. Robot might be Elliot's dad.....
    If we see a photo of the dad.....

Pete Puma likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This show is getting to be a tough slog, as it seems to be nothing but bad people doing bad things. Pretty relentlessly dark.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think that was ever in doubt. The last episode was much better than the one before. Mr Robot must be real given the interactions inside the van and with Ethan not even being around at the time, no?

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  24. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Elliot's put-down of the Iron Mountain employee (the guy, Bill?) was one of the harshest put-downs I think I've ever seen. Good episode. I was watching out for interaction with Mr Robot too and noticed the people in the bar were looking at him when he was bumping into people.

I just get the impression with this series that despite the IT-driven plots it's still going to come down to a few people pointing guns at each other in the final episode.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't see anything in the van that indicated he was real. It still seemed to be an internal monologue in Elliot's head, him trying to tell himself how to proceed in exploiting Bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.