Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dok, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What's hilarious to me is that the episode titles of this series all have file extensions that denote actual video file types:

eps1.0_hellofriend.mov
    eps1.1_ones-and-zer0es.mpeg
    eps1.2_d3bug.mkv
    eps1.3_da3m0ns.mp4
    eps1.4_3xpl0its.wmv
    eps1.5_br4ve-trave1er.asf
    eps1.6_v1ew-s0urce.flv
    eps1.7_wh1ter0se.m4v
    eps1.8_m1rr0r1ng.qt
    eps1.9_zer0-day.avi

This is so geeky and inside, I'm almost in shock. And notice they're replacing letters with numbers, like screwing with a very weird password. This show be whack.

stereoptic likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They're promoting piracy, which is a form of hacking and a weakness of the studios' old business model for content distribution. Edgy.

3. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Interesting idea ... I just thought it was leet which was (don't know if it still is) popular in hacking communities and IRC.

4. SMcFarlane

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I saw a little of the most recent episode today on rerun, and paid close attention to the scene at the end where they go back to the F-Society hangout. I still think Mr. Robot is not a physical being, and is really just Elliot. If you watch the scene, only one of them is really doing anything at any given time. When they enter, Mr. Robot is in a celebratory mood and Elliot sits in the background and doesn't say or do anything and nobody interacts directly with him. He does receive a phone call, and looks at his phone, but doesn't answer it. Mr. Robot knocks a few things around and is arguing with the girl who wants to proceed with causing the meltdown at Steel Mountain. Then after they argue Mr. Robot walks away and disappears and Elliot comes forward and speaks with her.

The writers are obviously trying to be ambiguous, but I still think it works fine that Elliott and Mr. Robot are the same person. I wonder how much longer they will string this out.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, between the drug dealer he had locked away, the "American Psycho"- esque guy in the suit, and the guy who deals with the 'Chinese hacker crew', he's got a lot more on his plate, than dealing with the fact that he may(or may not) be Mr. Robot!

agentalbert likes this.
  7. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

My favorite show on tv this summer (including premium cable channel shows). Incredibly engaging & unique.

Vidiot, lbangs and macdaddysinfo like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

ep 6 - Possible oblique spoilers....

Wow, what a great episode. So many moving parts brilliantly executed while ramping up the tension until the final, devastating scene. I suspect a fuse has been lit which will lead to some exciting episodes to come.

chrischerm and DLD like this.
  9. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Couldn't agree more Deesky. We thought this epi was the season highlight to date. The final scene was incredible. Wife had kinda given up on the show during epi 5, but stayed in the room whilst I was watching epi 6. She's now officially re-hooked.

10. SMcFarlane

I had the chance to rewatch ep 1 again ... it's really well done. I'm thinking other episodes aren't as strong but the first was very well done. Haven't watched ep 6 yet ... really looking forward to it.

11. agentalbert

Yeah last night was fantastic. When the previous week ended and pointed to this episode bringing back the pusher Elliot had gotten locked up, I didn't think I would like it, but it turned out to be maybe the best episode of the season.

12. Nice use of the song 'Some Velvet Morning'.

Adam9 and macdaddysinfo like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I liked last night's episode a lot more than most of them.

The final scene was great. At first I was thinking "this is ridiculous...they're just sitting there having a leisurely chat within 100 yards of the prison where a massive break has just occurred? But then I realized, again, that any scene with Elliot is seen through unreliable narrator Elliot's eyes. The reality must have been somewhat different.

wayneklein likes this.
  14. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Thought about that, too, but he hoodied out, and they were in the dark, and Elliot had his back to everything. Not implausible that things happened there and he wasn't seen...

Great scene, though-too bad about shala; I liked her, but the idea of this thing having a happy ending was silly of me to even root for...

15. I hope so as his finger prints are all over the crime scene.

jriems likes this.
  16. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Great episode that launched this series into must-watch TV for me.

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Will there be S02 ?

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  18. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

There are a lot of beliefs I feel like one must suspend in order to enjoy this show--either that or as previously mentioned we must chalk it up to unreliable narration. But still, either Elliot hacked the prison or he didn't. I hope the show isn't so trite that everything exists only in his mind or so lazy that the "prison break" isn't splashed across the news in the next episode.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think the writer is having waaay too much fun with the audience with this whole what's-real-and-what-isn't business. There are scenes which are so blatantly set up to make you feel Mr Robot (et al) isn't real and then there scenes where he's made to look like he is real.

So, I've decided not to worry about playing the guessing game and just take the narrative as it comes, at face value.

Pete Puma, Craig and vince like this.
  20. Yeah everything must be taken with a grain of salt.

This show takes narrative to a whole new level.

21. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

This show works centers in my brain that haven't hummed this way since the first season of Twin Peaks.

I love it.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not much happening this week. Mr Robot's gone into temporary hibernation mode.

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I thought quite a bit happened. Especially with the main characters. The newest episode left a lot hanging!

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

We got a couple of scenes with ONLY Mr. Robot and others, no Elliot. Of course, that's not proof they both exist. For example, we in neither scene did anyone address Mr. Robot by name. If he exists, then he has a name and it is not Elliot.

Did the creepy IT guy intend to kill the wife, or was that a mistake? Couldn't figure out what the crying afterward was about? Was it just his first time killing someone? Or did things get out of control? And it would seem his DNA might be on the crime scene.

If the plan was just to kill her, that doesn't seem like much of a plan. I mean, why not kill her somewhere else, where it's much safer and the killer isn't near the scene of the crime?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  25. agentalbert

I don't think he planned to kill her. Things aren't going the way he wanted and he's lashing out, as in firing all the guys in his office. The guy has a real Patrick Bates (American Psycho) vibe.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.