Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dok, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He should have at least thrown her off the roof to make it appear to be a suicide... his DNA could be explained that he was trying to hold her back from jumping.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Bruises around the throat might be harder to explain. Though maybe the impact would do enough damage to mask that.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So, Mr. Robot is talking to the other members, AND.. there's been NO mention of the jail bust.......

bopdd likes this.
  4. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I agree with Lownote30 in that a lot happened in this week's ep:

- Darlene is a wacko, just waiting to explode.
    - Speaking of exploding, Tyrell has always been a loose canon, and his wife intimated that he has a tendency to overreact. Shocking scene that I did not expect, as he let's his base nature get the best of him. I just wish this storyline was more connected to Elliot. Maybe we'll see that going forward?
    - Nice to see Shayla again, and that we may again from time to time (#fingercrossed).
    - Great scenes with Angela & Colby. Nice to see her have something start to go her way, and stand up for herself.
    - Elliot's scene in the office (both with Gideon, and seeing the signs hung around people's necks) was very cool. Which eventually leads us to the absolutely stellar scene of him in Dr. Gordon's office!

Not much happening - what where you watching?!

Dok likes this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Same thing as you, but I just felt like the central plot wasn't being advanced very much, rather than that absolutely nothing happened.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Great show, hands-down my favorite of the year so far. The final scene in the latest episode where Elliot is finally 100% honest with <another character> just blew my mind.

This is a very complex, nuanced, multi-layered show with a helluva lotta stuff going on. And I think both the computer plotlines and the emotions feel very true and real to me. There's nothing like this on television, absolute unique, stylish, and engaging in every way. And completely unpredictable.

7. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Yes, the show has been renewed.

Scope J likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, ep8 was an explosion of awesomeness! This show has the capacity to keep one guessing, and just when you think you have a handle on things, it pulls the rug from under your feet, leading you an even weirder place. I especially loved Elliot's internal voiceovers (how many times can you say that about voiceovers?) which had a surreal meta quality and which also inflicted some cracks in the fourth wall for good measure. So many reveals, some still ambiguous, and yet the intrigue continues to ramp up. Best episode of the season so far.

Gary7704 and vince like this.
  9. agentalbert

I'm not sure quite what to take from it. I thought the one a few eps back (prison break) was the best of the season, but there has been no mention of the break, and I'm starting to think it never happened. If it was all fantasy in Elliot's head, that makes it less impressive.

It does seem that Elliot/Mr. Robot are the same person, but flipped from what I had thought with Elliot (or who we the viewers see as Elliot) as the construct.

Anyone else get the vibe that Elliot and Angela maybe used to be in a relationship? She acts like an ex-girlfriend. And as we saw, Elliot is capable of forgetting his relationships with people. He forgot Darlene was his sister, maybe he's forgotten that he used to be with Angela. It would explain why she is so frustrated with him and why the guy she was with after Elliot hates him. And if that's the case, I wonder if Shayla ever even existed. Maybe Shayla was some manifestation of his relationship with Angela, and when it ended, he created this neighbor girl to help but who is ultimately doomed. They did reference Elliot having a "tough month", but that could be anything. Shayla's dog that Elliot was taking care of seems to have disappeared as well.

Or maybe I'm trying to hard! One thing, I think we can safely say that it was NOT Tyrell's plan to kill the girl on the roof. Or at least not the plan as his pregnant girlfriend understood it.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Last night's episode blew my little mind yet again. I think you have to go into this show knowing you have an unreliable narrator, and whatever Elliot is telling you or showing you may not be the truth. Of course, that doesn't explain what's happening when we're away from Elliot and see other characters, so who knows?

Gary7704, vince and lbangs like this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They'd shared their childhood years, united by the death of Angela's mother from cancer caused by toxic chemical exposure from Evil corp and the death of Elliot's father from leukemia. It was Angela that got him his job at Allsafe. The 'vibe' is their shared history.
    I think you might be. I've decided not buy in too much in the whole what's-real-what-isn't thing because you end up chasing your own tail. I prefer to just let the narrative reveal itself and enjoy the plot as it unfolds.

12. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I'm wondering how they can keep up with the revelations through a second series?

lbangs likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess that will depend on how S1 ends. There are still 2 eps to go, so who knows what additional developments will be revealed.

14. vince

Seeing Tyrell with Mr. Robot........... what's up with that?!?!?

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, that's a spoiler.

16. vince

Oh.... sorry...
    Just saw it this afternoon.... and, I figured, since it's been a few day.......
    I was wrong. Sorry.

17. Dok

Dok Senior Member Thread Starter

proedros likes this.
  18. Dok

Dok Senior Member Thread Starter

Another review.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/mr-robot-recap-episode-8-whiterose-wh1ter0se-spoilers-usa-network

How does Mr Robot move forward?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/how-does-mr-robot-move-forward-after-its-insane-eighth-episode

"We’re in uncharted territory for a TV show. This is playing with ideas from The Truman Show and Memento and Fight Club and The Matrix, all of them well trippy enough in their own right, and Mr. Robot is mashing them all up in a blender and serving us whatever comes out."

proedros and vince like this.
  19. vince

I KNEW it!!!!

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You only think you knew it. :D

vince likes this.
  21. vince

Favorite line from last night's show:
    "So, what'll it be; "Timecop" or "Stargate"?
    ......... "Pulp Fiction"?? Never heard of it!"

Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  22. ptmconsulting

ptmconsulting Member

This last episode probably should have been a season closer, but there's lots more to go. I was getting a little bored, but intrigued by Elliott's increasing levels of crazy. Yeah, I really thought many of the characters in his hacking group were just other personalities of his and all delusional, but I guess not now. It will be interesting to see where this goes. I hope it doesn't devolve into a cop chase plot line where he becomes wanted fugitive #1.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Now that the question of whether Mr. Robot is real has been laid to rest, and we know that Elliot is the mastermind behind F-society, with a dimwitted idea that if you can destroy all of E-Corps records you can achieve good by bringing down society, where do we go? Do we root for team unhinged Elliot and evil Tyrell? Or do we root for team E(vil) Corp? I don't much like either. Who's our protagonist?

The only good sound player here seems to be the head of the security company. He could make a good protagonist, but hasn't been developed enough to really suit that role. But I could see a scenario where he realizes what is happening and is trying to save not only his company but society itself...

24. agentalbert

Giddeon doesn't seem competent enough given that Elliott was able to do all he did right under his nose. What about Angela working from within E-Corp? She's gonna take that job, I think.

25. vince

There's some interesting places to go, if she takes the job.
    What I didn't was how 'normal' Elliot's sister was around her.....
    She seemed so 'wild', and... it was her boyfriend that set Angela's boyfriend up in the first place....
    I would've like to see her wrestling with wether or not to fill Angela in on all that........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.