MST3K - an oral history (Wired)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Edgard Varese, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese Thread Starter

Vidiot, reapers, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  2. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Great article! I have loved MST3K from the very first time I saw it (circa 1991), to this very day. Definitely a top 5 favorite show for me.

:goodie:

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I love that Joel got the idea for the Shadowrama silhouettes from the inner gatefold to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Never knew that particular tidbit before!

[​IMG]

Vidiot and Shawn like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of the funniest, smartest shows in the history of television. I'd welcome it's return with a new cast and/or new premise. Go for it, Joel!

5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Hrrmmmm, I’m not trying to be old a crusty and resistant to change, but they’d have to be really careful about who they snag to be the “new” cast for a re-launched MST3K. I’ve heard some others try to replicate the MST3K style, and it can sometimes be really painful. I even recall listening to one of Nelson’s “Rifftrax” (which are great by the way) where they added a one-time “guest” riffer, and the guest sounded pretty awkward and not up to the task.
    The show is pretty identifiably a Joel and/or Mike thing to me, with Crow, Tom Servo, and the rest of the crew of course.
    If I had to hear a new cast do the riffing, maybe those two guys who did “Cheap Seats” on ESPN would work. They were hilarious on “Cheap Seats” (even had a one-time MST3K guest spot), and I don’t even like sports that much anymore.

6. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Would happily welcome MST3K (MST4K now?) back on the air in any format available. The Rifftrax "Total Riff-Off" episodes that National Geographic channel aired for April Fool's day were hilarious. I realize that's not Joel-related, but I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be exactly the same to provide the same entertainment.

7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

8. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Love the show and especially the early ones with Joel. Even saw them a couple of times on tour the last few years. And as some have seen I have a life size working Tom Servo prop in my collection. But I just wish they would leave it alone and not bring this back. You can't reheat a souffle and I have a feeling this would not be as good as the first time around.

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

That's what I'm thinking too. Honestly, without the original cast involved or starring, I have little to zero interest.

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.