Multi channel SACD and stereo playback

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Moschella, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member Thread Starter

Here is my question or series of questions.
    Assume I have a stereo only SACD player, will it play multi-channel SACDs?
    If it does do I wind up with a stereo downmix?

Next assuming I have a multi-channel SACD player, will it play the multi-channel SACDs through its stereo outputs?

This will affect a purchase as I am considering a Sony 9000es (2-channel) vs a 999es.

Thanks.

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

A stereo only SACD player will NOT play the multi-channel portion of a multi-channel SACD. It will only play the stereo portion od the SACD data layer.

If you purchase a multi-chanel player and play the multi-channel portion of an SACD it will be output through the 5.1 analog outputs. If you play the stereo potion of an SACD it will be output through the 2 channel analog outputs. That is how my Sony SCD-XA777ES operates. If I want to hear the front channels from the multi-channel portion of an SACD I have to change my 2 RCA cable from the stereo outputs to the front L and R multi-channel outputs.

I am unaware of any SACD player providing a stereo downmix of the multichannel portion through the stereo analog outputs. Although the DVD-Audio specification says that if a stereo DVD-A program is not included the player shall provide a downmix from the DVD-A multi-channel mix, the SACD specification does not call for the downmix capability.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

All SACDs that I know of have a stereo SACD layer (even if there is a MCH mix also). You should never hear a "mixdown" on a stereo only SACD. And to answer your question, yes a MCH SACD will play on a stereo only SACD player and it will only the play the dedicated SACD stereo mix which is found on all SACDs.

Regarding MCH SACDs on a MCH player playing though the stereo outputs, it depends on your player. For instance, my XA777ES will only play the stereo SACD mix though the stereo outputs - never the MCH mix. I might assume that other SACD players, if you are playing the MCH mix, might output the front right and front left information though the stereo outputs. I don't believe you will get a MCH downmix through the stereo outputs in this case (since I don't know of any SACD that actually performs a MCH to stereo downmix inside the player).

4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member Thread Starter

That is important information I did not know. I was under the impression that multi-channel SACDs (at least some) did not have stereo SACD content so I thought they would not play on a stereo only SACD player like the 9000.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

All multi-channell SACDs have a 2.0 track, even if it is mono.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

One of the only releases that didn't have a stereo track was the DVDA of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery for whatever reason. Of course it is not an SACD and doesn't matter to a SACD player.

Carry on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.