Multichannel Receiver Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mudbone, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist Thread Starter

I know this has been asked before so please excuse the repetition.

I'm ready to purchase a multichannel receiver and this is the place to ask these questions. Without a lot of background what would your reco be on a MCR in the $2000-$3000 price range? I'm not partial to any particular manufacturer although I'm very happy with my current Pioneer VSX-9700S.

TIA,
    mud-

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Mud,

Your going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. Do you want one that has video inputs or a minimum of circuits. Hybrid with tubes, Solid
    State? How important is the radio section?

3. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Do you plan to use SACD or DVD-A multichannel? Then make sure you get a machine with 5.1 pass-through inputs. New top of the line pioneer has an I-wire (firewire) input that MAY work well? for this application as well.

4. mudbone

Gary, Patrick, thanks. You hit it on the head. I am trying to open a dialogue to drive out what issues I may be missing. I need to get my thoughts together on this.

As to video inputs...yes. At least 3. My current Pioneer has 3 for VCR (or whatever) and one for TV but with only one being S-Video. My TV has two S-Video inputs so what I do is run my audio to the receiver from the DVD player while running the video directly to the TV. Kinda hokey but it works. The other S-Video on the TV has DirecTV as an input.

I'll be using this for both SACD and DVD-A.

mud-

5. Gary Freed

Mud,

I would highly advise not to use a receiver for video switching.
    It degrades the video signal.

You might want to look at receiver that offers two separate sets of pass
    through inputs for SACD and DVD-A.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

DENON AVR-5803 - You can get it for that price range if you look hard. EXCELLENT video switching, HDTV component video. Outstanding audio, tw0 6 channel inputs, incredible box. No brag, just fact...

:-jon

7. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

At that price level (4k), wouldn't separates meke more sense?

I have a bias against receivers as being too complicate, ergo failure-prone, and obviously, difficult to upgrade.

8. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

These DENONs are great. The people who bought AVR-5800's could "upgrade" them to 5803's directly with DENON. Not bad, eh?

Find a bad review for this receiver, I bet you cannot.

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I cannot comment on the 5800(3)'s, but I had their 4802 for a couple of months before I went separates, and I found the 4802 to be lacking in the low end (read: big time). I found it very detailed, and able to create an ok soundstage, but was very top heavy and didn't match well with my Klipsch.

I was amazed to when I plugged in my current system and heard clean, level bass response. I'm finally making my speakers work through their full capabilities.

You asked;)

10. mudbone

Hi proufo, tell me more about separates? I've given that a thought but I am basically a novice in that area.

Thanks,
    mud-

11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Mud,

Have ya spent time at AudioAsylum and AudioReview? If not, why don't ya go there for awhile. :)

-Jeffrey

12. mudbone

Hi Jefferey, no I haven't but I will. I was intrigued by Sckott's message in floyd's thread. Floyd and I are asking the same question.

mud-

13. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Mud,

Good!

There are a couple other places you should go. Give me awhile and I'll prepare a list for ya. :)

-Jeffrey

14. mudbone

Hmmm? What a straight line.

mud-:D

15. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello mudbone.

I have no specific recommendations but as a matter of principle, I'd go for a capable preamp/processor plus an inexpensive multichannel amp.

I'd guess 3K (2K for the processor and 1K for the amp) would allow for a nice system. Check used at ebay or Audiogon.

16. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

17. Gary Freed

Denon makes great sounding receivers. I own one and can't complain about the sound quality.

If I had it to build my system over again though I probably would look on audiogon and buy a used higher end receiver or separates with a hybrid tube and solid state design combined.:)

18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

19. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

That's odd,I had the 4800 for a while and it could literally make the doors rattle.Absolutely no problem with bass.Upgraded to the 5800 and I love it.At any rate,if you decide to go the Denon route,go with a authourized dealer or else you don't have a warranty.

20. Gary Freed

You can't go wrong with Denon. They're relatively easy to get at a discount
    over the internet. I purchased mine through Uncles Stereo in NYC.

21. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Could be something in my set-up, but it literally hurt my and my wifes ears. And I never push it over 85dbs. I know that a lot of guys on the Klipsch forum love their 380X-580X's. It just didn't work for me.

My advice, listen, listen, and listen some more, in that order. You could change them around a bit, but it might void the warranty.:rolleyes:

If you decide on Denon then follow Henry's advice about authorized dealers. If your in doubt then check with Denon about the dealer. They post everywhere on their website about not honoring warranties if it wasn't purchased from the right dealer.

22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

http://pub106.ezboard.com/baussiedvdandhtforum

Check out the above EZBoard. This is a disscussion area for all hihg end receivers. There are sections on DENONs and everyone elses. You will be sure to find many happy (and probably a lot more unhappy) owners of these things, all brands.

23. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I'll also endorse the Denon line here. I have a 3802 and I love it. Airy treble, very transparent midrange, and the bass is reproduced with great authority, even on my inefficient speakers (83db/1w). We have 5800's powering our multimedia Dolby Digital 5.1 rooms at school, and they sound great too.

Do be careful to get the Denon from an authorized retailer, though. Denon's website is quite explicit about what warranties the company will honor.

24. floyd

floyd Senior Member

So one could get a Denon 5.1 and then later add mono block tube amps?

25. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Yes: there's a complete set of pre-outs on my 3802.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.