Multiple Versions: Where Do You Draw The Line?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

Considering which forum I'm posting this to, it is a bit of a loaded question!

It all started when I looked at this thread here: New vs old MOFI vinyl, Supertramp, Breakfast in America.

Curious to see if they were also reissuing a CD version, I went to their site and started searching. Rather than use the search function, I decided to find it by browsing as I haven't looked at the full Mobile Fidelity catalogue in several years. I found "Breakfast In America" but on the way I passed "Heartbeat City" (I'm very happy with my Audio Fidelity issue) and "The Stranger" (I'm very happy with my 35DP copy).

I clicked on the product page for "Breakfast In America". In the middle of the album/product description is this line here: "The 1979 set has been reissued multiple times in the past, but it's never sounded so engaging, lifelike, or entertaining." If it's never sounded so good, does that mean my Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc copy from the 1990's is no good?

So here's the question: How many copies of an album do you have before you say "That's good enough for me?" Or, in other words, do you try every reissue in the (vague) hopes it will sound better than the last? And in this, I'm including buying any format. So if you bought an album on both CD and record and high bit FLAC file, add that in too.

Some examples I own: "The Stranger" 35DP is so good that I can't actually be bothered with the Mobile Fidelity SACD because I think, short of hearing the master tape, this album can't sound better. We also own "Hotel California" DCC CD and, again, no desire to even try another version. But, thanks to my late mother-in-law, we own five different records of "Breakfast In America".

What I'm saying, though, is that I hear a great version and then I have no desire to buy another copy. Almost no desire, anyway. What is your opinion? And I want to hear from people who don't buy lots of different versions of an album as well as people who do.

zongo and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I draw the line at the one that sounds the best. If I have multiple copies I keep the best and sell the rest. I currently only own one copy of each CD. If a new remaster comes out, I may purchase it and then decide which one to keep. The other option is to not bother with purchasing the newer version. It all depends.

DiabloG and blair207 like this.
  3. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Your missing out on Heartbeat City, both that and the Cars Self titled SACD’s from MOFI are to me the best sounding versions available.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I stop buying it once I get the idea, they're not gonna make it any better.

Haven't yearly re-releases of Pet Sounds taught us anything?

c-eling likes this.
  5. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

With studio releases, I would draw the line @ 1, except when they're doing something different w/it, i.e. including demos or other versions of songs, or including bonus songs, maybe w/guests.
    i.e. Jesus and Mary Chain: The Complete John Peel Sessions.

Oasis - in a different category for me, due to bootlegs: Live being the other exception. They're great live performers & some shows just do kick more over others. Tour setlists usually same, but they do vary sometimes i.e. Apoquindo for Be Here Now tour has D'You Know What I Mean & it's on 1 disc vs. Access All Areas & Back Where We Belong which is on 2 discs. That's same scenario for Barrolands gig: 10 Years of Noise and Confusion 2 discs, The Builders Of Their Destiny 1 disc.

Oasis live the barrowlands (epic)setlist 2001

6. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I usually stop at 3.

7. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

with some artists I get all the CD releases...then I sort them out...

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Great topic!

As for the Supretramp Ultradisc, IMO it's very good. It's just that the new SACD has the advantage of higher resolution and IMO better mastering. Not a huge difference, but I have a clear preference for the SACD.

If it's an album I love, I keep buying/trying new masterings until I get one that, after a number of listens, I am happy with. And if a mastering was ever my favorite, I hold onto it. I keep the one I prefer on my shelves, but I have found that a new system, new apartment has a big effect on sound and I don't like buying stuff a second time.

Sometimes the first time is enough, like my DCC Love Is The Thing by Nat King Cole, mastered by our host. I love the sound of that so much that even when the SACD came out, again mastered by Steve, I didn't get it. Through trial and error, I have found that when I can be very happy with a mastering, I try my best to drop the search. Much time and money is saved that way. And then I can get on with enjoying the album, which I why I bought it in the first place. (I sometimes forget this last fact.)

Other times, like with The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers, I try 4 different digital versions, including one that was EQd by a friend and multiple needledrops, only to still be looking for a version I can put on that sounds good enough that it isn't an obstacle to my enjoyment of the album.

You now what they say about breakfast, it's the most important meal of your collection.

Funny you mention The Stranger, as I have gone though many different preferences, including multiple (different) original masterings, needledrop of the original vinyl, MFSL SACD and the Ted Jensen SACD. My first impression of the Jensen was that it was better than the LoVerde (MFSL), but after comparing and listening some more, I prefer the tonality of the MFSL SACD. The piano sounds fuller and to me, getting the piano tone right on this album is essential.

Also funny you mention the Hotel California DCC, as I use that one whenever I have a new component in my system. I know it well, not just from 40 years of listening to the music, but the wonderful mastering. I loved it so much that I bought the Japan pressing of the DCC and find it to sound even better than the USA DCC. Same mastering, yes, but the Japan DCC has an overall clarity that makes an excellent mastering even better.

I say if the version is great enough or I don't love the album, then yes, once is enough.

Here's another factor. Having bought a lot of masterings by Rob LoVerde, Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray, when I see their names, I know that it will likely be the last mastering I need to buy, as I have an enormous amount appreciation for their work. Over the last few months, I compared masterings they did for Carly Simon - No Secrets (Rob for MFSL and Kevin for AF) and Billy Joel's 52nd Street (Rob for MFSL and Steve for AF.) I won't go into it here, because I plan to start a thread on the topic, but I will say the results of the shootouts were quite surprising.

10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'm NOT buying the cassette again!*
    [​IMG]
    *Odds are I will.

DiabloG and Floyd Crazy like this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I have never bought a 2nd version because I didn't like the 1st (**). Except CDs to replace LPs in the 80's. Thanks to this Forum, many people feel the need to upgrade, over and over again.

(**) The exception being the Beatles 2009 CDs replaced the 1988-89 CDs, so I guess I ma just as guilty......:(

12. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident

I trade in the 2nd best sounding pressing unless it’s either (a) a collectible item that will hold value or (b) has sentimental value. I’m too poor to afford multiple pressings.

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Multiple Versions: Where Do You Draw The Line?

Right about here...

[​IMG]

Paul J, The Hud, Uncle Miles and 3 others like this.
  14. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

I've got 7 masterings of DSOM on CD. 4 of The Wall. 3 each of OBC, The Final Cut, Meddle and Animals. Many other titles aside from Floyd where I have 2+ masterings on CD (think I have 4 of Duran's Rio, without checking the shelf).

Floyd Crazy and c-eling like this.
  15. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Weren't the 50th Anniv. vinyl reissues supposed to be pretty great?

16. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

I have many multiple copies of Pink Floyd albums on CD and Vinyl.
    Also ELO Out Of The Blue another album I seem to have multiple copies of on vinyl.
    I enjoy playing them all I like finding all
    the different issues and comparing them
    on their own merits that's half the fun the other half is hunting them out,
    I don't seem to draw the line very often i
    just keep on buying copies of WYWH,
    Floyd.

daca and c-eling like this.
  17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I'd love to know your preference on this one.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I stop once I get the correct version, meaning it is formatted and sounds like the original release.

When In Rome and c-eling like this.
  19. Dillydipper

How many opportunities have you had to buy that album? How can you even trust the label that, maybe, "finally got it right"?

Now, if a label were willing to issue a rebate (or better yet, a buy-back for your previous version-! :idea: ) along with their claim that, "yeah, this is the one you've been waiting for", then maybe I wouldn't feel so much like Charlie Brown after Lucy walked away with the football...again.

KatCassidy likes this.
  20. Zapruder

It was just a question, dude

21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

1st UK Porky/Pecko IMHO.

22. Dillydipper

And that was just an answer. What's your beef? Isn't this the topic we're discussing here?

23. Zapruder

I don't have any beef, I was just asking if the 50th Anniv. Pet Sounds reissue was good, and you didn't answer my question. Instead, you went on some tirade about the music industry making subpar reissues.

24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Generally happy with the remastered CD and original country of origin first pressing LP. Only a handful of titles i own more than 3 versions of.

zongo likes this.
  25. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

Digital, Play Copy, Original Pressing. Only for absolute favorites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.