Murder By Numbers - The Police

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just heard this song for the first time - cool song. Was is it in contention for Synchronicity? If so it was a poor decision to include "Mother" over "Murder By Numbers".

2. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

With exceptions of the first vinyl pressings it's at the end of the album.

AlienRendel likes this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

I knew it was a bonus track - just not on the original release.

4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It has always been one of my favourites fom this period... I thought it should have been included on Synchronicity when it was released.

B-side of "Every Breath You Take"

And to answer your question, yes, much better than "Mother", which while somewhat funny would have been better released as a B-side or EP track.

DiabloG, southamorican and Fullbug like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I always thought it was the B side of the Every Breath You Take single and not on the album (vinyl). It is an excellent song and I agree that it should have been used in place of Mother, what a horrible song!

"Murder by Numbers", originally the B-side of "Every Breath You Take," was added to the CD and cassette versions of the album, and has lyrics comparing political power to the development of a serial killer.

Bill

6. But Murder By Numbers is a shared writing credit while I believe Mother is not. Contractually, I think both Andy and Stewart had the right to get at least one of their own songs (and to collect publishing on that).

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  7. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Odd because I'm so used to it being at the end of "Synchronicity" that I never think of it as anything else. I still wish Sting didn't have such a big ego and had "Someone To Talk To" relegated as a throwaway B-Side.

izgoblin likes this.
  8. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

My favorite version:

9. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I was at that show. A memorable night in many ways.

southamorican, dartira and nsmith1002 like this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Paul Gilbert's instrumental version on his new album, Stone Pushing Uphill Man, with Kenny Aronoff on drums, is pretty amazing (the drums are especially awesome IMO).

Starts around 24:40.

(Description from Amazon, of what Paul was trying to achieve with this album:
    "Paul Gilbert's new record Stone Pushing Uphill Man is a guitar oriented instrumental record on which Paul covers a group of his favorite songs, originally recorded by some of the world s best vocalists. Paul uses his guitar like a voice to convey a wide range of emotions, while retaining his signature cutting edge solo work which should more than satisfy his legion of loyal guitar fans.")

11. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

If Sting wasn't such a confident & self-serving control freak, the Police's artistic & commercial success would have fallen far short of what they achieved. Although a hyper-inflated sense of self worth + domineering personality often leads to friction within a group, many highly (commercially) successful bands have been led by musicians with that combo of unpalatable traits.

JimC, marcb, ted209 and 3 others like this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It was on the cassette tape on the 1st day of release.

ampmods and Rupe33 like this.
  13. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I happen to be a big fan of "Mother" for a number of reasons. Synchronicity is a very dark album - even songs like "Every Breath You Take" and "Wrapped Around Your Finger" are mistakenly thought of as "love songs." I think "Mother" works really well on the chaotic first side of the album.

marcb, bicyclops, AlienRendel and 3 others like this.
  14. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I wish they would have used the Summers song 'Someone To Talk To' instead of 'Mother'.

DiabloG, izgoblin and normanbterrier like this.
  15. ginchopolis

I seriously think the use of the "f-bomb" was too risky for a band whose fan-base stretched so far into a younger demographic.

16. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Yeah, that makes sense. Good song, though.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It seems, generally, that "Mother" is not liked around here. I think it provides a nice delirious contrast in that album so full of hits. Anyway, back to the main topic: "Murder by Numbers" is a hell of a song, no doubt about it.

DiabloG, Aftermath, Sordel and 5 others like this.
  18. gregorya

It takes at least two to have friction...

Personally, as a big fan of the band at the time, I felt that they were a much stronger band on every level when Copeland and Summers were more involved as writers. And in the case of Stewart Copeland especially, as singers as well.

Synchronicity, while obviously a commercial home run, was to me their least interesting album... some of songs had the energy of the early band, but the tempos were slowing down and you could hear early signs of what was around the corner (Don't Stand So Close To Me '86)...

Give me Regatta de Blanc and Klark Kent any day...

Hep Alien, Rochdale3 and J_D__ like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Sounds great on the 12"single

noahjld likes this.
  20. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The greatest missed opportunity for The Police to have a killer single was OmegaMan - probably because Sting didn't write it...

21. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

What a great song!

Black Widow likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Somtimes I feel that way about Someone To Talk To, and then I think to myself "it's a gem of a b-side, it works better this way". I do prefer Murder By Numbers as a b-side or bonus track. I first heard Synchronicity in 1983 and it was form the vinyl, so for me, the album ends with Tea In The Sahara. Another good Synch b-side is Once Upon A Daydream.

izgoblin likes this.
  23. gregorya

One of my all time favorite B-sides by The Police -
    A Sermon (written by Stewart Copeland)

always wondered if the lyrics were aimed at Sting... ;)

IanL and ginchopolis like this.
  24. ginchopolis

I'd say yes.

After all, this was the tour where Stewart had that nice message to Mr. Sumner written on his drum heads...

gregorya likes this.
  25. gregorya

And he played with passion... :)

ginchopolis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.