Murder On The Orient Express 70mm Screenings coming soon...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mdm08033, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

We saw it tonight (the girlfriend never saw the 74 version) and I found it attractively shot and produced. Knowing the ending, I decided to settle in and enjoy the details and the characterizations, which were all enjoyable. Branagh's direction is solid and interesting, if not particularly surprising (though I like the overhead shots), but I think his choice to have Poirot have a mustache that is practically a character of its own was a mistake. In close ups I kept staring at the thing, totally distracted.

Oh and Daisy Ridley is too young for the role she's cast in.

I don't think this was exactly a necessary film to make, but it isn't a bad one. At the end of the day, however, it's just kind of there.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like the cast.

3. I enjoyed it. Some clever shots and solid pacing -no problems with the cast for me. I agree that the Poirot's mustache was too much of a weird thing. A nice adult script with no explosions or chases is a welcome reprieve.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Has anyone seen the 70mm version? I was supposed to see it during the weekend but I got sick

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  6. The funny thing about that tease is that it mentioned there had already been a death on the Nile and that they needed Poirot to come immediately -but the actual death in the story takes place while Poirot is on board the ship on the Nile -not while he is in Europe!

mmars982 likes this.
  7. They do have some 70 mm theaters in the San Francisco Bay Area. Why not use the existing ones.

8. The basic plot may be the same but KB went for a darker, thriller styled aPproach here. If a filmmaker can reinvent the material, it's worth trying again.

9. I don't know if The Dark Knight was physical film for every screening but it at least was shot on film and Nolan tends to favor film for exhibition if possible.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it on a regular screen and really enjoyed it.

Never saw original or read the book.

11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched it in a packed theater and liked it very much, especially the excellent acting. Not a surprise, considering the highly talented cast.

Pete Puma likes this.
  12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member Thread Starter

I finally got around to seeing this with my children last weekend. It was fun, but I was amazed at how little of the film appeared to be shot on film. The digitized the heck out of it. Next up, The Last Jedi at the newish Dolby Cinema aka AMC Prime.

13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Just saw this on blu-ray, and while nicely shot, it was totally boring. I have never read the book nor did I see the original (although I am old enough). I think the plot is ludicrous. Total waste of time.

14. Of course it was absurd. It is a Agatha Christie mystery where the focus is on the cleverness of the plot not with logic in the real world. I enjoyed it. It I also enjoyed the original. If they ever make a film version of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd don’t go see it. You’ll hate it.

If a movie pulls me in, I give it the courtesy of the suspension of disbelief. I saw the version with Albert Finney and enjoyed that as well. It’s entertainment. It’s a trifle.

GLENN and John Moschella like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.