"Muscle Shoals" Documentary Trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by No Static, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Static

No Static Gain Rider Thread Starter

Here's a link courtesy of Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/the-rolling-stones-and-bono-celebrate-muscle-shoals-premiere-20130115?stop_mobi=yes

Premiering at Sundance later this month.

A lot of good music came out of Quad Cities (Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, Tuscumbia and Florence) in Northwest Alabama. And it seems to be on the upswing of late with new, emerging artists in the area. Alabama Shakes, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, The Pollies and one-half of the Civil Wars just to name a few. I took a tour of FAME studios last month. Hasn't changed much in 50 years. I'll try to post some current photos later. You'd be surprised how just how small and, uh, unpretentious it is.

2. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I'm very excited about this.

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just watched it. Incredible. Mandatory viewing.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Amazing! A must see for me.

No, make that a must own, whenever it's released.

Grant and No Static like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Last night on Letterman, (which I'm usually not awake for), were " The Swampers," Jason Isbell, John Paul White, Candi Stanton, David Hood, Jimmy Johnston, and Spooner Oldham.

Letterman briefly mentioned this film. Dave did say, " wow Paul, you were right ! " but I'm afraid he, and millions of others had no clue of the amount of talent and history behind those musicians !!!

No Static likes this.
  6. No Static

You're so right.

My wife is friends with David Hood's wife Judy and she had mentioned last night they did a total of three songs for the audience and "brought the house down". I thought John Paul did a fine vocal job and Jason hit some nice guitar licks. And Spooner wore nice threads.

We're heading up the road next week to see it at the Carmike Cinema in Florence. I need to see it on the big screen before I buy a copy.

Myke likes this.
  7. Myke

:angel:This is not the first time this has happened to me. The night Roger Waters was on Jimmy Fallon, I sat up in bed, went out, and turned on the TV.
    Partial reasoning for why I Believe as I do.

8. No Static

You didn't miss anything. They performed two more songs after the broadcast.

9. Myke

Not what I meant, I meant (without breaking any rules here), that it's always a " coincidence " that I happen to NOT miss these things, when normally I'd be sleeping.

10. "Mysterious ways" indeed.

11. No Static

Gotcha. A little slow on the keep up this morning.

Myke likes this.
  12. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I watched this the other night, and loved it, too. Does for The Swampers what 20 FEET FROM STARDOM does for the singers in that film. Great music, beautiful shots of the Muscle Shoals area.

Can't wait to get a Blu-ray copy of this, hopefully with copious extras.

13. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

I watched over the weekend. Very good. I was totally unaware of the Jerry Wexler Rick Hall falling out

Grant likes this.
  14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

This is one of the better documentaries I've seen.

There was a screen event as the 1st night of The Ponderosa Stomp.....which I flew down for.
    Spooner Oldham was originally scheduled to do a Q&A afterwards, but then Letterman got scheduled.

15. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

it's referenced fairly briefly in Guralnick's book, Sweet Soul Music, and in somewhat more detail in the book on the making of Aretha's first Atlantic hit: "I never loved a man (the way i love you)" . . . having read both, i'm still not sure who was most at fault . . . between Hall, Ted White (Aretha's then husband) and Wexler, 3 fairly volatile guys.

i blame whoever broke out the bottle so early in the sessions!

i'm watching the movie tonite. if it tops TWENTY FEET FROM STARDOM, it will be in a rare category for music docu's.

doug

16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

They're pretty close in greatness. I loved Twenty Feet From Stardom as well.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  17. Doug Rogers

Doug Rogers Forum Resident

Excellent well produced documentary!

18. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Free tickets in various markets this weekend.

See the new movie 'Muscle Shoals' FREE! Get complimentary tickets on opening weekend in more than a dozen cities (while supplies last). Paste Magazine calls Muscle Shoals: "The best documentary of the year, whether you’re a music lover or not. Heartbreaking, inspiring, wry, thought-provoking, nostalgic, and genuinely funny." Friends of the film are purchasing these tickets (while supplies last). Visit the following link and use Group Code "ShareTheShoals" to request your tickets: http://bit.ly/MusicMovieTix

19. Myke

Thank you goldwax ! I received my notification last night, and will be attending Saturday afternoon. I really appreciate this, as I had planned to see ASAP anyway.

goldwax likes this.
  20. Myke

It was great ! I really, really enjoyed it.

21. No Static

There's a special week of showings in the Shoals beginning next week so we'll be there at some point. We grew up with this stuff.

Good to hear, Myke. Thanks.

Myke likes this.
  22. I'm very thankful they had the sound just right in the theater I saw this at. When Steal Away by Jimmy Hughes kicks in I had a few tears in my eyes...

This is just my opinion but I think its one of those films to see by yourself. Immerse yourself in the story and the music and drift away .

23. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

From the way Rick talked, he was a big friend of the bottle.

24. No Static

Saw it last night at the showing in the Shoals.

Oh, my. What a film. It served the subject matter very well. If you're interested in purchasing it on disc (like me) you really need to see it in a theatre setting first. The cinematography is unexpectedly beautiful. If you like music you'll like this film. Everyone has things in their home area they're proud of. Having lived here almost 60 years, a half-hour from the Shoals, is a big one for this music lover.

Earlier this summer I had a chance to visit FAME and got to take a few pictures. It's really a lot smaller than it looks outside. There's the console and soon to be refurbished tape deck in Studio A, the other side of A with the isolation booths (notice the lattace-work ceiling) and the control room in Studio B. When asked what has changed here since the 60s he replied "Not much. Why would you want to mess with perfection?"

Attached Files:

ex_mixer likes this.
  25. Myke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.