"Muscle Shoals" Documentary Trailer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by No Static, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I watched this the other day. It's fascinating and I learned a lot.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  2. This one is up on Netflix for streaming

head_unit likes this.
  3. No Static

No Static Gain Rider Thread Starter

I spoke with a member of the Swampers over the weekend and he told me they came to Muscle Shoals Sound on the recommendation of Jim Dickinson. He told them it was a place "where they could work undisturbed and hang with cool people."

There's always been a strong connection between Memphis and Muscle Shoals music-wise and Jim can be seen in the doc during the tracking of "Wild Horses".

Myke likes this.
  4. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Thank you very much for your response.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Watched it on Netflix. Very interesting. Mick and Keith were great and their love for the sound was apparent. It was a big ego boost for nerdy looking white guys to know nerdy looking white guys made some of the funkiest music in history. cool. One question that came to mind was: Would Aretha Franklin or Etta James even have a shot at a music career today because the weren't cover girls like Alica Keyes? Personally, I doubt it. And that's a sad statement about today's music scene.

Mark E. Moon and Mister Charlie like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

First time- small theater
    Second time - public TV broadcast
    Third time - Blu ray...holy crap !!!! Between the superior PQ, and the DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, it's like seeing / hearing it for the first time !!!

mj_patrick likes this.
  7. No Static

And it's still great on the about the 10th Blu-Ray viewing, too.

8. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I really need to watch this.

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Gotta give credit where it's due - Wooly Bully was recorded by Stan Kesler at Sun Records' Madison Avenue studio in Memphis.

10. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

i'll check the "memphis boys" book . . . it's been awhile since i read it.

doug

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Yes....yes you do...:agree:

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  13. Myke

28 minutes of extras, and TWO commentary tracks ( the Swampers and Rick's brings even more to the doc ! ), yes, this has rewatchability in spades.

No Static and Agent57 like this.
  14. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Agreed - watched this about a week ago and it was everything you guys said it was (and twice more since then).

Side-note: Alicia Keys in that doc = :love:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    haastilecreation and Myke like this.
  15. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

i didn't doubt you were correct, but my mind was playing tricks on me.

. . . the very early pages of the book MEMPHIS BOYS, discusses Wooly Bully (and Kesler, including quotes), making the connection in the context of some of the same musicians (Tommy Cogbill and a couple others) playing that session and then ending up in Moman's house band at American Sound. the author draws a comparison to the Wooly Bully session and a very early session at American the Gentrys and Keep On Dancing.

Though she clearly states that Kesler cut Wooly Bully at Sun's aux studio, that somehow didn't "stick" with me and I lumped it in with virtually every other song mentioned in the book as recorded across town at American. (She also references Kesler as putting together the Dixie Flyers, info that I DID read, but had forgotten).

so, pardon my error, and thanks for correcting. Clearly, Kesler's an important figure of that era.

doug

16. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'm a fan of Sun Records and the folks connected with it - Stan spent a lot of time working for Sam Philips and using the studio for his own labels' productions. Two of Stan's house bands ended up getting swiped out from under him (my guess is $$$ was waved under their noses, and Stan couldn't match what Chips or Jerry Wexler was offering to stay with him). I can't find any info on who played on the session for WB, but I wouldn't doubt that some of the folks were part of Stan's crew.

17. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

at this point, my "recall" w/o double-checking could be suspect, but--:laugh:

at least a couple of players that made up the OG "memphis boys" at American had played some session work briefly with Chips at Hi when it was less soul oriented. i'm pretty sure that would've pre-dated the wooly-bully session.

I doubt Chips lured them with money--his place was kind rundown and about all he had was the money ($5,000?) he had gotten from Jim Stewart at Stax when he left there in a dispute over what he had been promised at start-up (basically, Stewart backing away from Moman since he had Cropper on deck) . . . my guess is they were more taken with Moman's musicianship, songwriting (not sure if this would've been pre- or post co-write of Dark End w/Penn) and overall attitude (could be cantankerous but seemed to have a certain x-factor/spark). He would prove to have quite an eye for talent and songwriters--Womack, Penn/Oldham, Wayne Carson Thompson, Mark James . . .

I think maybe Cogbill and guitarist Reggie Young were the two Moman had played with before. Moman had also worked sessions briefly on the West Coast.

Moman was one of the first (few?) to give session players a cut of the action above session fees or a salary.

I've read fairly much over the years on Sun, but mostly liner notes and long features rather than anything definitive. and most of it quite a few years ago.

Looking forward to Guralnick's "big tome" on Sam Phillips, due this fall, i think. (He's been known to push a deadline!)

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Should be worth the wait judging by his previous books. :cool:

BluesOvertookMe, d.r.cook and Myke like this.
  19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

What did she do in the documentary? She didn't have as much makeup on as usual, right? I was watching the documentary tonight on PBS and she was simply stunning :love:

I knew some of the stories about Muscle Shoals but this documentary really opened my ears to some great music. I have to go get the Blu-ray now.

Agent57 and No Static like this.
  20. Myke

The superior documentary, Muscle Shoals is down to $11.49 for the Blu ray !!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Mu...IN=B00H3JHE0K&ASIN=B00H3JHE0K&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

No Static likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

A fantastic documentary. For fans of the sound that no one else could get but Rick Hall, this is a must see. The story of muscle shoals sound and Ricks struggles and triumphs is joyful, beholding, saddening and celebratory all at once. Just awesome. Wonder how many people realize it was a buncha white kids playing on those records? lol Race barriers be damned. Black, white, green- whatever. They just wanted to and made some real music.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. hogdaddy

hogdaddy Active Member

This is cool. $1000 bucks for Wild Horses.
    I assume it's real but I don't know for sure. I don't even remember where the picture came from.

[​IMG]

alanb and mpayan like this.
  23. No Static

^^
    Post of the day. Thanks for that.

24. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I watched this on Netflix a few weeks ago. It's one of the most enjoyable music doco's I've watched.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.