Music acts to pay for playing Super Bowl halftime show

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agaraffa, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

2. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

"playing"

jimhb, One Louder and Satchidananda like this.
  3. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

confirms my sense that sports entertainment is the one industry (aside from security and banking) that's currently awash in cash and basically just has to ask for more in order to receive it. This might be a bridge too far, though...

Dan C, Murph and broccolid like this.
  4. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

As if the NFL owners don't make enough. If i were one of the acts that they wanted, I'd tell them to screw off. What's the face value of a ticket to the game? As if any regular guy can get one anyway without taking out a second mortgage. I hope the musical acts stick together and call their bluff.

5. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I read that not only would Bruce Springsteen have to pay to play the Super Bowl again, but it would be extra if he wanted to watch the game.

Steel Horse and Matt Starr like this.
  6. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

i think the who and bruno mars actually hurt their brand (and i use "brand" on purpose) by playing at it.
    the nfl is so powerful and ticket prices are so far beyond realistic that the only one's who really suffer are the fans. now it is virtually impossible to go to a regular season game, let alone the super bowl without taking out a second on your mortgage.
    and they have sewn up watching it on tv for fans by black-outs unless the game is almost sold out.
    pay for play will only turn the half-time show into an entertainment infomercial.
    but since it was close to that anyway i guess they are thinking if we can gouge our sponsors why not gouge the entertainers too.

i can see the day somewhere down the line where they may try floating that with the players union. pay to play so you can advertise your "brand" more you pay, the more you play.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I offered the NFL $50 bucks if they'd hire me and my band. Plus, I'd handle the setting up of our amps. Let's see if they take up my offer. ... ;) Arnie

8. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I'm going to start a Kickstarter to raise money so my band can play it. I'll personally bake you a lasagna if you donate $50,000.

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I want to start a kickstarter to get Slayer to perform the half time show. I can just imagine the complaints to the FCC from an Angel Of Death/God Hates Us All/Jesus Saves medley.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Clanceman, Fullbug, theshape and 10 others like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I had no idea of that. I guess that's because in Phily and NJ all games sell out. Are there football teams that don't sell out?

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why do you think that? Not sure about the Who, but I think Mars got a huge boost from playing the show - the performance went over well and made people who knew little/nothing about him interested...

12. Oatsdad

Yup. Not sure of current stats, but the Cardinals have been a tough sell - I think they've done better in their new stadium but I don't know if they regularly sell out.

I think the Raiders and Jags have trouble moving tickets to a degree as well - and probably a few others I can't think of off the top of my head...

13. Oatsdad

If true, this is an idiotic move on the part of the NFL. Do the artists who play the SB get a boost? Certainly, but so does the NFL and the network that airs the game. The SB halftime used to lose lots of viewers - that's why they went to superstars in the first place. Now the halftime keeps eyes glued to the screen, which helps overall ratings - and allows the NFL to charge more for TV rights and the like.

I think the halftime performers were already essentially playing for free - isn't that good enough for the NFL? :shake:

14. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I guess it will basically become an avenue for big labels to promote their future stars then as the label will decide to pay the fee for who they want to promote on the biggest stage.

15. Oatsdad

Maybe, though I don't think this is an avenue for anyone/everyone to play as long as they can pay. The NFL will still only want superstars - they wouldn't want to "tarnish the brand" with some act that won't draw viewers...

16. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

There was a time when the Eagles didn't sell out a lot of games at the Vet. The 100 level seats were all obstructed view because they were field level. Many times a corporation would buy the remaining seats to lift the blackout.

17. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Sure, the NFL is "inviting" who they want but in the end I don't see performers willing to pay out of their own pocket (especially giving up future tour proceeds as specified in the article). I think the label will end up paying it as a promotion cost for who they think can benefit the most from the exposure. I don't see guys like Bruce paying the NFL going forward as they can sell out stadiums and keep the money anyway.

18. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Why would Coldplay, Katy Perry, or Rhianna bother to pay to play? How much more exposure can they possibly get from the Super Bowl? All three acts are already huge.

I could see an act just on the cusp of exploding forking over the cash, or (for lack of a better term) a dinosaur act doing it to resurrect their "brand", but why would some of the top acts on the planet need or want to do this?

starduster, vamborules and Tone_Boss like this.
  19. Oatsdad

But even those acts benefit from the exposure. In the last few years, it's become pretty common for acts to play the SB and then start ticket sales for tours virtually immediately. IIRC, Bruce, Madonna, Tom Petty and Bruno Mars all announced/started ticket sales for tours the Monday after the SB.

I think the SB can be a big boost to ticket sales for acts - even those who one would think would sell well anyway...

20. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

Interesting line in the article

'The NFL typically covers the halftime performers' travel and production expenses, which can run well into the millions.'

I was on the artists' side of the debate when I first read the piece this morning, but when someone drew that bit to my attention, I wonder. Biggest televised event of the year and no upfront $ risk and no profit sharing of any kind with the hosting partner? You play the gig and reap the windfall. I can see NFL's point, although they get major league global scale talent (most of the time) just for expenses.

Also wonder why NFL didn't slowly start fee-ing them for the expenses and take some of their end that way - could have done it more quietly and gradually. They could easily get some fee ideas from the companies that run convention centers ('cost ya $500 to plug that in, mate....and $1000 to unplug it. ').

But I guess they want a percentage of the future artist revenue 'due to' the event. Hmmm....could have been done in way that didn't seem to jump the shark so badly.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Some musical act should pay to play the Super Bowl and then when the NFL or the TV network tells them they can't play this or do that sue them.

22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Hmm. Nope, I'm sorry, but 'pay to play' is immoral, whether it's an international superstar paying to play at a multimillion viewer event, or a struggling band that has to sell 50 tickets to play some ****ty bar. In both cases, it is nothing but exploitation by greedy promoters.

23. longaway

longaway Senior Member

So this is what the NFL resorts to doing to avoid capitulating to the Weird Al Superbowl petition? Pathetic.

24. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

That's a bit tacky knowing full well that the half-time show is one of the main draws of the Super Bowl.

As if CSI and its spin offs didn't do that by exploiting the most overplayed and overrated Who songs.

25. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Kind of ironic considering how ugly a sport football is.

Fullbug and Six String like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.