Music Department Salespeople

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

We are all missing a glorious opportunity here, folks!

BB: "May I help you, sir"

Consumer: "Yes. Where is the latest release of XXXX?"

BB: Right here, sir!

C: Is it remastered?

BB: Why, yes!

C: Oh-oh - was it done "properly"?

BB: Huh?

C: Sometimes when they no-noise it, they actually shave off the top end and replace it with boosted EQ levels. This digital editing rarely works with analogue recordings unless it was done "right". Do you know how the remastering was done or what engineer did it?

BB: Huh?

/start lecture!

:D

So maybe - just maybe - the kid, when asked by the next consumer, may not be so confident that the new remaster is the best version available....

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You know that's true about BB. If you want to educate a BB tree sloth, there's no insentive for him/her to stay. Doode. I'm going to work at Home Depo! They pay more anyways, and the managers aren't tweeked!

3. poidog

poidog Senior Member

That's irrelevant. You're missing the point. If you don't like the way a business is being run, give them a chance to fix it or don't give them your business.
    There was a time when I would go to the nearest McDonald's if I was running many errands and the kids were hungry. Why? Because it was convenient and cheap. One time I got a cheeseburger with the cheese and ketchup on the outside so I said something to the Shift Supervisor. The second time it happened I returned the burgers to the Manager and told her that I would never return. AND I NEVER did.
    I drove 4 extra miles each way to a different McDonald's. Did the closer McDonald's feel the effect of losing business? Not in the least. But if everyone who had a similar experience took their business elsewhere they would have.
    Like the saying goes..."Money talks and ******** walks." If you have bad experiences time and time again, why go back? Or even take the time to speak to the GM. If everyone at least did that it would help. And this doesn't just go for Best Buy it goes for any business.
    Here's an example. My family loves Chinese food. Unfortunately, the nearest really good Chinese restaurant is 15 miles away. There are probably 10 other Chinese restaurants between home and there but it's worth the trip. The food is exceptional, the service is quick and friendly and the restaurant is always clean, except for the bathrooms. The bathrooms always look like the kind you find in a dive bar. After a few visits and no change I spoke to the owner and told him how much we love his restaurant and how the state of his bathrooms leave much to be desired. He said that others have told him the same thing and he'll try to do something about it. Well, I was there last night and the bathrooms were in the process of being renovated. Something that probably would not have been done if myself and a few others didn't say anything.
    And THAT'S the point. If you've got a problem, do something about it, don't just whine about it.

4. poidog

poidog Senior Member

So maybe - just maybe - the kid, when asked by the next consumer, may not be so confident that the new remaster is the best version available.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the members of this board seem to be the only ones concerned about such information (and we can't even agree upon which is best). I estimated about 900 members to this board. There's over 500 Best Buy's (not counting all the Musicland stores). The odds of the same employee being asked twice is rather slim. But at least they'll know the next time you ask. Then again, they may avoid you like the plague.

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I did just that. I had an order in at Best Buy for 2 copies of each of the new Stones cds. I did that because I could order 'em online and pick 'em up at the store. UNFORTUNATELY, I would have had to go to all FOUR BBs in my area to get all the available cds. I cancelled and ordered from elsewhere.

BB lost a $700+ order.

Mud-

6. poidog

poidog Senior Member

Good for you!:righton:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you have them ship them to begin with? They have free shipping and you would have saved on the tax.

7. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Poi, with BB you must pay sales tax if they have a store in the state which you reside. It's 6% here in Ohio.

After I got soooo pissed at the "pick 'em up" at all four stores option I just was fed up. I waited to order specifically to pick 'em up cause the Net price was 2 bucks cheaper than the in-store price.

Either way (paid shipping or sales tax) I would have paid about the same. I just have to wait a little longer this way.

The growth of these huge franchise stores has killed the whole concept of knowledgable customer service reps, IMO. But, unfortunately you can't beat their prices.

As my dad once said, "Ya gotta take the bitter with the sweet."

Mud-

8. There was an article about Best Buy coming to town the other day in the business section of the Calgary Herald. A friend saw it and called me. Looks like they will keep Future Shop as is for now and open other new stores as Best Buys. There could even be Best Buys across the street from Future Shops.

Here's a link to an older article about the merger. Another Canadian company swallowed up by a big gianormous U.S. corporation.

"U.S. electronics giant Best Buy completes takeover of Future Shop"
    http://www.canoe.ca/MergerMania/nov5_futureshop-cp.html

9. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I agree that CC and Borders and Best Buy often leave a lot to be desired, but I did have three spooky experiences lately that make me wary of extreme generalizations:

I had bought a remastered XTC album at CC. On my own and helped by this forum I discovered distortion and just plain bad mastering on a couple of cuts. I returned the album to CC. They gave me store credit toward an SACD, and the manager, unprompted by me, told me that most remasters were simply made louder and thus often suffered from distortion. I was floored. When was the last time a retailer gave you return credit on a CD? Or have anything intelligent to say about remasters?

That's two spooky things. The third was later that night as I was cruising the (kinda scant) Best Buy SACD rack. The clerk came over and said, "Ah, someone who knows quality sound," and then began to talk earnestly and in a somewhat informed way about SACD.

That's three times they had to pick me up off the floor....

One key here is to find the knowledgeable person(s) and build a relationship with him or her.

Gardo

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Wow, that report is dated Nov.2001 !
    I can't believe I didn't hear about it back then. I spent 16 years working in the audio business. Future Shop was one of my customers, until I left the biz in '99.
    Man....I've been out of the loop too long.

Mike, planning on pigging out at A&B this weekend ?
    I may try one of the new Chicago's, V or VI. They also have the new Aimee advertised with the bonus disc for $15. Might try some other re-issues on Solid Gold (Chilliwack etc.)

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Pinch me!

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I would but I hardly know you.

:D

Mud-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.