Music Direct - Beatles Mono Box for $250. Worth it with a beginner setup?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mikedifr0923, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just spent a lot of time reading up on the threads regarding the Beatles stereo and mono, not gonna lie and say I read everything though :D

Is Music Direct legit? That seems awfully cheap for the LP?

Also, would it be worth it to me with more of a beginner TT with stero cart (using the double y) or would I not be able to really appreciate it and I should just stick with the mono CD box?

2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Music Direct in Chicago are good people to do business with.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  3. mikedifr0923

Thanks. Do you know if it would be worth it for me?

4. Decent price. It has been cheaper. GEt yourself signed up for the superdeluxedition.com notifications. TIs the season for surprises and good prices.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If you've got a cheap TT setup, then don't expect to be blown away with the mono LP box set. Sure they'll sound good, but so does your 2009 mono CD set.

Myself, I've got a crappy Crosley TT, but would love to own the mono LP set, just because.........

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You don't need a double-Y with modern day mono LPs. They sound perfectly fine as is.

Wally Swift and mikedifr0923 like this.
  7. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

As long as your cartridge is not worn out and setup properly,go for it.The Mono box is 100% analog and the best sounding Beatles release.

8. mikedifr0923

My cart is fairly new and should be fine, haven't noticed any issues....it's just a beginner cart and TT (teac TN 300 and AT95e cart)

Thanks for the replies

9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with your turntable. When you said beginner I was picturing an ATLP60 or something similar.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  10. mikedifr0923

Haha, thanks! I never know what to call it compared to what some of you on here have.

I am happy with it so far. Will definitely upgrade when I can in a couple years....when I move into a bigger house and get my mancave back and can do it right!

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Not entirely true. My 180g mono of Rubber Soul, in particular, has a good deal of sibilance when played through a stereo signal. when played through a true mono signal (either with a Y-cable, external mono switch box or built-in mono switch) a great deal of the sibilance is gone. there are various threads on this forum that explain the technical reasons for this; but explanations aside, ears don't lie.

12. mikedifr0923

I don't mind trying the double y, it's not expensive. Haven't looked at a mono switch box are they expensive? I was going to ask if I could do a switch box and run double y off a and regular stereo off b so I don't have to switch cables. I assume the mono box will accomplish that?

Sorry for the questions....new to mono LP (do have some cd sets in mono)

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The double Y-cable will give you he same results. If you want to get a switch-box, you run your turntable into the box and the box out to your amp. I got mine from somebody on this forum who actually makes them and sells them for a very fair price. Unfortunately, I forgot his name. Try doing a Google search, "mono switch box at Hoffman Forums" and it might lead you to his discussions.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You're right. Ears don't lie, and mine tell me that my Beatles mono LPs sound the same with or without a Y.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Respected. Our ears will simply have to lovingly agree to disagree:)

16. mikedifr0923

Sorry one other quick question...I am currently using the built in phono preamp. Can I connect that directly to a switch? I was reading a few things and sounded like the switch came before the preamp in the chain in those cases

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There are a couple of ways that can work. If you have no additional pre-amp box (which I do), just do as i said in my previous post and you should be okay. Turntable to mono box, mono box to amp. If you do have a pre-amp box, turntable to preamp, preamp to mono box, mono box to amp.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  18. mikedifr0923

Gotcha. Thanks again. Now to just find a box :)

I did find the post on here so will check with him first.

Much appreciated!

DK Pete likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You're welcome..good luck.:righton:

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. Doctorjazz

Doctorjazz New Member

I don't see the box for $250...have 2 copies of the Stereo Vinyl Box (accidentally got them, didn't notice until too late to return them), wanted the mono...

21. mikedifr0923

Maybe it was just the weekend. Shipping was pricey though so ended up being only about $15-$20 less if I bought through Amazon Prime. They had the mono box for $295 when I looked this morning and then it went back up.....I should have pulled the trigger then. Ill keep eye out a few more days. Definitely gonna grab it soon now that I am purchasing the mono switch.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  22. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

They usually ship for free with purchases over $50. Grab the mono box if you can it will be worth it. Good vinyl will sound fine on your setup.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.