Music Direct Open Box

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echidna Arf, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Has anyone ever bought anything from Musicdirect.com that was OPEN BOX? I don't know if I should order anything, if the items will actually be in good condition. Anyone has any experience with it or recommend it?

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I was actually just at their warehouse a few weeks ago. They sell used record in the back. They don't really have a store, but they they do have a couple of audition rooms for gear they have set up. I inquired about a pair of Vandersteen 2CEs they had on display. They were in perfect condition. He gave me a very fair price for $2000 with the stands. I think the open box stuff is only opened for photo shoots in their catalogs. I saw a lot of gear in the back. It's all well organized. The salesman on that Saturday I was there said he didn't work on Sunday or Monday. So you might want to give them a call when he's there, Tuesday through Saturday, if you have any questions.

3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Yes, I've bought open-boxed items from Music Direct and it was practically new. I think you can buy with confidence.

SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  4. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I recently bought Whardedale 225's as an open box and they were in "brand new" cosmetic condition. Would definitely consider open box items for future purchases!

displayname likes this.
  5. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My experience as well.Great customer service too.

6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Open box can also be a customer return. I bought a phono preamp from them and decided to upgrade it during the 60 day return period. When they got it back, it went up on the website as a demo at 20% off.

displayname likes this.
  7. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Yes.. both items were in perfect condition. And you get the same 60 day satisfaction guarantee.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  8. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

An open box is a sold item that has been returned.

A demo item is an item that has not been sold but is used as an in store demo and may have been checked out by a potential customer for an in home audition.

9. Echidna Arf

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll order with them then!

10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Open box items often make for great deals on items which are almost brand new.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I have. No problems.

12. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Likewise, bought some Vandersteen open box demo speakers from them - as new.

13. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I would feel more comfortable with demo then open box. You never know the reason something was returned and what conditions it was used in during the return window (was it abused, did something happen that caused it to be returned). I don't need something else to obsess over.

14. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

This is not correct. Open box is also items tried by customers for the 60 days and returned for whatever reason. I can confirm this 100%

15. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

I bought my Yamaha A-S801 from them, "open-box" about a month and a half ago. I too was leery...I called to place the order and before committing I asked if it was a floor demo model, or a customer return....I was told the latter, and also told I would still have their 60 day return policy privelidge....so, I went ahead and took the chance.

When my A-S801 arrived I opened the box and I swear the thing looked factory fresh...I could not tell that it had ever even been taken out of the box...all the interior items...manual, remote, batteries, etc. looked like they came from the factory.

The only "negative" to my experience is that I wish the previous purchaser of my open box item would have bought the silver faceplate version, cause that is what I really wanted...but for the $$$ I saved, I decided a black faceplate was just fine. (I keep it in a closet, anyway. :D )

I would, without hesitation, do it all over again. They will definitely be a front-runner for any future purchases I might make.

16. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I can recommend MD. They have been good to me.

17. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Bought my ATC speakers open box from MD a year ago. Perfect condition and no issues.

mike catucci likes this.
  18. Echidna Arf

Sounds like everyone has had a good experience with them. Thank you for the answers.

19. 2point1

2point1 Forum Resident

Open Box yes, Scratch and Dent No! :)

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Not MD but I got my Rega Aria phono open box from Soundstage Direct. Like new and I am very happy.

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

open box can mean many things- return, demo (showroom or audio show demo) or "photo shoot" MD takes their own pics for their catalog. usually the savings are considerably more than your big box retail stores that might give you 10% off or so.
    really no worries here- if you buy an open box item you have 60 days to see if you like it!

22. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Every interaction I've ever had with MD has been top notch. Good people. Danny is terrific.

mike catucci and HiFi Guy like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I bought a $1,500 tube preamp for $750, years back from them as a store demo item. Turned out, it was a brand new unopened item.

They will be manufacturer's close out items. But manufacturer's who were previously selling these same items at full retail pricing, just before they discontinued, don't want their customer's to be upset. By advertising something as a store demo, it is expected to be discounted. But, sometimes, this is just a way to move the units, without anyone thinking about why the item is being discounted.

No problems with Music Direct.

mike catucci, mikeyt and HiFi Guy like this.
  24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Another satisfied customer here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.