Music Direct - Promotions

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by George P, Mar 10, 2017.

1. George P

George P Forum Pianophile Thread Starter

Though I hear ya, Mike, one could also conclude that if they are in business to make a profit, then Acoustic would want to match their competitor's discount.

2. MYKE

MYKE Columbia 6 Eye Mono - 1958

Which would cut into their profits. Seems they know what they're doing just as it is.

3. George P

Can't say that this is the case here. Anything people can buy from Music Direct instead (for 5% more) off, people will buy there. And Acoustic won't get a penny from that.

4. MYKE

Yes, but you have to remember that extra 5% only applies to what they deem eligible.
    Example : Skynyrd's Second Helping, 2 X 45 rpm AP is now 15% off at AS, 10% off at MD, because it's not on the very short list of eligible 45 rpm releases at MD.

5. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Well-Known Member

I did grab what I wanted. Now with more money I wanted to spend more but I'll just adjust what I want and get what I can at MD.

6. ggergm

ggergm red right returning

MYKE, I'll let @George P speak for himself, but for me, the reason always has been that I wasn't smart enough.
    Now you have my full attention. My stereo store often sold stuff at retail. My best margin for a year was 43 points, which we did a couple of years in a row, and that was without service contracts. I know how to make money. There is no shame in pricing things for retail.

Everyone needs a deal. For some folks it's having the stuff in stock (see any Soundstage Direct thread). For many, it's a consistent, reliable price of 10% off (Anybody else remember buying from Soundstage Direct because we had the exclusive Steve Hoffman code that got us 12% off any day of the week?). Other people want the Big Deal. They'll wait for a super sale to happen, and there are websites I operate this way.

For me, with Music Direct, two weeks ago was free shipping on a bottle of Audio Intelligent #6 record cleaning fluid I wanted right now. By including it with a pre-order for a couple of records which I got 10% off and don't have to pay for until they are released, I got my voodoo juice shipped for free and everything else was a bet against the pass line. We'll see what the shooter rolls but I have my fluid. In my eyes, I've won.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  7. MYKE

@ggergm - On May 29th, I ordered the AP 2 X 45 of Elvis Is Back at 20% off, w/free shipping. It clearly states 4 - 6 weeks for delivery, which suits me fine, as I'm in no hurry to have another $50 charge, that I need to pay in full when my pension check gets here, so yes, I understand completely.
    :tiphat:

ggergm likes this.
  8. George P

He was actually talking to someone else.

ggergm likes this.
  9. George P

For me, if Music Direct has a 20% sale that includes their own stuff (the Mofi SACDs), then it seems logical for their competitor, Acoustic Sounds to offer their own stuff (AP SACDs) for 20% off as well, to remain competitive.

Twinsfan007, Blair G. and ggergm like this.
  10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

20% fathers day sale

11. George P

If I order a bunch of SACDs from Music Direct and one of the SACDs is a pre-order and the whole order qualifies for free shipping, do they ship the stuff that is in stock for free right away AND ship the pre-order for free once it is in stock?

12. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

I believe so. They did that for me with some accessories I purchased. Just shoot them an email. They are very responsive.

George P likes this.