Music Hall 7.3 or 5.3 TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Methodical, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident Thread Starter

The spindle is 14mm before it tapers without a mat. I have a 4mm thick rubber mat, so it still has 10mm, which is good enough for the Michell record clamp.

kenbefound likes this.
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Better bearings? Tighter tolerances? Higher-spec, quieter motor? That third plinth really does improve isolation?

I don't know for sure, just some shots in the dark. For all I know the 9.3 is same spec as the 7.3 in most things.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  3. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Both the 9.3 and 11.1 do not use a subplatter as the 7.3 does, so no need for a screw on clamp. The clamp on the 7.3/7.1 helps the acrylic platter form to the subplatter so you get zero play between the two.
    More isolation is the key on the 9.3 and 11.1, you would be surprised how much more isolation allows more music to come thru.....

4. Methodical

Thanks for that tid bit - now we know why they don't have a clamp. However, I did order the Michell clamp for it today.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Good info.

kenbefound likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, I did actually place a bid to keep it legit, but I didn't want to go very far with it, don't need it. BTW, just saw a new Nova II come up on usaudiomart today, California dealer, $825, calls it a personal demo unit, sold as new with full warranty.

7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Ok....sent Roy an email and asked why the 7.3 has sub platter and the 9.3 doesn't have one...his reply was because the 9.3 has different bearings of much better quality.

Methodical and Slick Willie like this.
  8. Methodical

I broke down and purchased the MS Phenomena II preamp - reviews were kind to this preamp and it's flexibility is what I was looking for. It's around the price I was willing to pay for a phono stage. They had a demo listed, but had already sold it. So, I got a new one for just a few bucks more than the demo. I figured what the hell.

I want to see how much I can squeeze out of the MM cart until I decide on the next cart upgrade.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Davey likes this.
  9. Davey

The Michael Yee designs are pretty solid, with a good mix of design technique and component quality, very competitive in that price range. It should last you for a few upgrades in the rest of the system, good move.

10. Methodical

What is the difference between the Phonomena II and Phonomena II+? I did some searching, but coming up short.

Thanks...

11. Davey

Well, the chassis, obviously, it's a flow down from the Nova, along with the dual mono aspect of the design, I think the Nova II update came out first, then Phonomena II+ with the same circuit board, but not completely sure. I think they are both currently the same design, Phonomena II+ and Nova II, just that the Nova II has the battery supply. Which one did you actually buy?

12. Slippers-on

Yelp... I've the Phonomena II+ and its without the battery.... the only difference from the Nova I believe. I believe the difference in the Phonomena II and the II + is a slightly different design.

13. Methodical

Thanks^^^.

Davey, I purchased the II+

Davey likes this.
  14. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

It will not disappoint....but that amp will sing so much more when you jump into the MC arena.

Enjoy it!

15. Slippers-on

It's really good you purchased a clamp or weight. You will need one. As you know records aren't always totally flat.

16. Methodical

Yep and I have some that can use some help.

Would you use it on albums that are flat, too?

17. Slippers-on

I hate vibrations and smearing which comes from vibrations. Both will keep you from hearing your music at its best......so I always use the screw down clamp with my 7.1. It clamps the vinyl to the platter tight so no smearing of the sound at all.( By the way...you never know you have smearing until you clear it up) I also have a Music Hall MMF 2.1 in another room and its spindle is similar to what you have on the 9.3. Its not a screw down spindle. So I have a weighted clamp that presses albums that aren't flat down to the platter as well as albums that are flat it keeps it down tight to the platter so its like the album and platter are one....no smearing.

18. Methodical

Cool. Thanks^^^

19. Methodical

Update: I settled on the Audio Technia Art9 MC Cartridge. I should be good with equipment for now.

Thanks for all the help.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  20. Methodical

Update: It's been over a year now and I am still enjoying the setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.