Music Hall MMF-7, or....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim New Member Thread Starter

I'm about to graduate college (!) and have been collecting vinyl for a while. I'm using a (don't laugh) Sony linear tracking table with a decent Ortofon cartridge. I want to spend my graduation money on a high quality TT, but am wondering if I'm getting in over my head, so to speak. I'm looking at the Music Hall MMF-7, and the heralded Rega P3. Either of these require a good phono preamp; better than the one in my Denon receiver, right? Are they very finicky? Do they have to be set-up just right to extract the best sound from them? I saw the MMF-7 for 800 bucks, a good deal I think. Any sound advice?

2. mazort

mazort New Member

Music Hall MMF-7

To be honest, I haven't heard this 'table and cartridge, but it seems to me you're on the right track (I use a Linn LP-12 I bought used). It's hard for me to see how you're going to do better for $800 than the MMF-7 because you get a $400 Goldring high output moving coil cartridge thrown into the bargain. Plus it has wicked good looks with that external motor and the acrylic platter...

The current issue of Listener magazine has favorable a review of this setup. You might look for a copy at the newsstand.

The P3 is a cool 'table, too.

To check out phono stages you might try www.amusicdirect.com or www.audiogon.com. But you could just use it with your current setup. If you want to upgrade from there something you might think about rather than a standalone phono stage would be a really good integrated amp with a built in phono stage. If you're on a tight budget I'd scour audiogon for a used Creek 4330 in like-new condition. You can get the phono module for it from Music Hall if it doesn't have one. I've owned two Creek integrateds and they were both great.

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Either one of those tables are going to improve the sound of the Denon, and then later you can upgrade your phono section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.