1. We will be doing maintenance on parts of the forum and server over the next several hours. If the forum disappears or goes offline for a brief moment or two, stick around and it will be available again shortly. Thank you!

Music Matters Definitive 45RPM Blue Note Series-NOW SHIPPING! Part 4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Wong, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort Staff

2. JMCIII

JMCIII Forum Resident

Yeah, that other thread was getting a bit unwieldy......
  3. Bumping for my subscription.:wave:
  4. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Jazdoc wrote "MMBLP indicates a mono release. It is mono -- I can tell when using my mono cartridge!"

Thanks, Jazdoc!!
  5. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Active Member

Do you also got a recommandation of a (not to expansive) mono cartridge ?
  6. jazdoc

jazdoc Active Member

"Not too expensive" - now that's a loaded question ;-)

Very happy with my Miyajima Premium BE which can be found for ~$1000.
  7. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Also, the mono titles sound great with a stereo cartridge if you don't have the funds for a dedicated mono cart.
  8. tootull

tootull Tightrope 'cross Niagara, don't cut my wire.

9. pbda

pbda Active Member

Quoted for truth. :)
  10. Michel Jazz

Would the 'cheap' Grado mono cartridge (retail @90€) be good enough or rather a waste of money to play my mono 45rpm's? By the way I'm using 'only' an ortofon MM Red for all the vinyl I'm playing...
  11. Six String

Six String Forum Resident

I received my copies of Another Workout and Destination Out! yesterday and they sound fantastic as expected. Just for grins I listened to my copy of Workout which is a New York, NY Stereo pressing after listening to Another Workout and even though they weren't the same titles to compare I thought the Workout lp was a little less exciting to my ears. Since it's not at 45rpm it's not a fair comparison either but still, for those who have bought into these 45rpm reissues, we know these are amazing versions of these albums.
    I'm really happy that we're getting albums off the beaten path like Destination Out! I like the hardbop stuff as much as anybody here but I also like the edgier albums Blue Note put out and MM is doing a fine job picking stuff from that list.
  12. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

What's the deal with the May releases (Johnny Griffin & Elvin Jones)? Are they delayed? The month is almost over.
  13. JMCIII

JMCIII Forum Resident

They'll be out soon enough. Fear not. And they'll be well worth the wait too.
  14. Claude

Claude Forum Resident

Aren't these mono titles technically dual-channel LPs (two identical channels), cut with a stereo cutter head?
  15. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Horace Silver and Mobley were May right? I think we are waiting on Griffin and Jones as a June release right? Maybe I have my timetable a bit askew...
  16. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

Had a chance to play Destination Out, just incredible sound and music. I will have to repeat what has already been said a hundred times, I am so glad Music Matters is choosing these more interesting titles to reissue. I'll be listening to The Stylings of Silver this evening.
  17. captgriff

captgriff Member

Listened to Stylings of Silver over the weekend. Another lesser-known title that MM hit out of the ballpark.
  18. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Are the new titles still mastered by Steve and Kevin?

It seems as if Steve is no longer working with Kevin. The most recent Audio Fidelity LPs (Cheap Trick and the 2 Grateful Dead) were mastered by Kevin without Steve.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

The Stylings of Silver had KG/SH@ATM on all 4 sides. Destination Out! was just KG.

After listening to all of them up to now I really can't tell either way if a mastering is KG/SH or KG alone.
  20. btf1980

btf1980 Forum Resident

Silver and Mobley were in April.
  21. Waingro Kelso

Waingro Kelso New Member

Any news about the digital downloads? I emailed MM a few weeks back and Lori(?) offered a cryptic response. "No details yet. Watch the space..."
  22. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Yep, finally figured it out, thanks.
  23. Mine came yesterday:righton:
  24. Michel Jazz

US postal just comfirmed the shipping of my first package, including the Griffin & Jones albums. I hope it will arrive by the end of next week. Yeah!!!
    The new cartridge for my secondhand Thorens TD160 will be delivered by then... that makes it much easier to switch from 33/45 rpm instead of lowering the belt by hand on my Project Experience turntable. With the old stylus on the TD160 'Shades of Redd' allready sounds amazing.
  25. it's the best Jackie mclean i have ever heard ... i didnot know it...
    just received yesterday, direct from MM ... great package, great service, great everything...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.