Music Matters Definitive 45RPM Blue Note Series-NOW SHIPPING! Part 4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Wong, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Small world... I just picked up the Heavenly Sweetness LP of this title from Scott (Parkertown) through the classifieds. Never heard the album before but planning to spin it soon. Looks like a pretty sick lineup.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thanks for reminding me. I just ordered ordered it.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm listening now to Horace Silver's "Finger Poppin'" I played it through once when I received it in mid-October, but didn't really listen to it. Now I am and it is really quite good.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It's a great album, those Heavenly Sweetness reissues don't sound too bad either.

5. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Just finished listening to it... definitely right up my alley. I like the sound on the Heavenly Sweetness version. A little on the bright side but really nice detail. I love how Herbie Hancock is right in the middle of the soundstage... he is always amazing. You're right, a Music Matters version of this title would be unreal.

6. Josquin des Prez

Who is Heavenly Sweetness? Are they mastering from original tapes? Do they keep an analog mastering chain intact? I"ve seen another Sam Rivers title from them I was interested in, but know nothing about the label and how they put releases together.

7. Diamond007

Diamond007 Forum Resident

I agree and fully intend in looking for my copy or the Sam Rivers ~ Contours this weekend for a listen. Thanks for the reminder!

Also, many of you may remember what a surprise these Horace Parlan LP's were as some of the first MM releases. They still remain a few of my favorites.

Horace Parlan - Us Three
    Horace Parlan - Speakin My Piece
    Horace Parlan - Spur of The Moment

8. Josquin des Prez

I have "Us Three" and "Speakin' My Piece." Both great albums. I'm looking forward to "Headin' South" coming out in June.

9. Diamond007

I really thought "Spur of The Moment" was the best of the 3 released so far.

But my all time favorite is BLP 1542 BLP 1542.jpeg Sonny Rollins, Vol. 1

10. Josquin des Prez

I'll have to put that on my wish list. I have the Sonny, but not the MM version. It's one of the EMI Pathe Marconi reissues from the 80s (I have a bunch of those).

11. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

It is nice to see the MM thread alive!

12. Diamond007

Do you have this one??
    Sidewinder and this one are HUGE favorites of mine as well

Lee morgan-Tom Cat.jpeg

BST 1058
    Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

13. Josquin des Prez

I have Sidewinder (since 30+ years ago), and a ton of other Lee Morgan -- under his lead and with The Jazz Messengers -- but not Tom Cat. Seeing as "The Gigolo" is due out on MM next year, I think I'm good on Morgan titles, especially since I have many other MM titles on my wish list

14. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

It's a month or so ago that I checked this thread and I'm happy to see that its " Indeed ! " still alive.
    I have every MM album and I was a little bit worried that it was close to the ending. But the news on the MM website that they go further with another 6 albums was excellent news! looking forward to every album but I have a special feeling for Joe Henderson "Mode for Joe".
    I'll hope that in future there will be more response on the new released albums of Musicmatters. For myself .. I'll have to wait till next release (very soon that is) The're shipping if they have 6 albums for 1 package... After that I will post my thoughts on the latest 6 albums.

Best ever Musicmatters release...?
    Sorry, I really can't say. But my favorite album is the Sonny Rollins Vol.1 but thats because its signed by Mr Rollins himself! :righton:

15. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

This thread is going to completely drain my wallet.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I am so looking forward to Basra's eminent release after waiting a few years after the announcement of its inclusion on the MM list. I'm also looking forward to that Horace Parlan album Headin' South. It's the only Blue Note album of his that I've not even heard. Although I have a first pressing of Joe Henderson's Mode For Joe I think I'm still going to get the MM version as it's my favorite BN album by Joe. Basra for those that haven't heard it is a tour de force of Joe Henderson's prowess on the tenor sax. He dominates the album, in a good way.

17. Josquin des Prez

I have ne of the Headin' South tunes on a Blue Note compilation CD called "Blue Bossa" and and it is great. I can't wait for the full album to be released.

18. Diamond007

Please, by any means possible find a way to simply pick up Lee Morgan - Tom Cat.

I promise this is a real GEM of the MM line up!!!

19. Josquin des Prez

I believe you. It's just not a priority right now.

20. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

They have some great releases for sure, including more Sam. Unfortunately, they use digital files. EMI only lends out original master tapes to a very very select few companies with very large insurance policies.

21. Josquin des Prez

Thanks. I figured as much. Then I will pass on those releases.

I just received a shipping notice for my Dec. 1 titles. Should have them by Thursday.

22. ssmith3046

Speak No Evil is out for delivery today along with the two latest AP mono Prestige releases. If you haven't tried one of the Prestige mono reissues do yourself a favor and pick one up.

23. Josquin des Prez

+1 on the Prestige recommendation.

I just played the new Tommy Flanagan "Overseas" reissue the other day and it sounds excellent.

24. ssmith3046

Yes sir. I'm in for all of the mono releases except the Miles Davis ones that I own.

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

They use a later generation tape, and do not do any mastering besides what is required for lacquer cutting like summing the bass to mono below a certain frequency, etc. This is what the French Ebay dealer that runs the company told my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.